Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racetronix + Me = Never again

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the thing that makes me mad is i did not blame them from the start, i just emailed them and asked for help infiguring it out, i know im human and can make error just as much as they can in their pumps. if they only told me to blow into the pump that may have made this ALOT easier lol

i could see if i was an *** and told them they sucked and owe me a pump, but no i spent hours and hours doing tests and redoing stuff, that makes me mad
Old 03-22-2005, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nic00Z28M6
From the sounds of it they removed the check ball (or whatever it is referred to) at the end of the pump that is supposed to hold pressure in the system when it is turned off. I am betting they did that to get more flow?
If they did that, that would be pretty shitty. I will just custom mine with 2 pumps.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen with my LT-1 system from them a few years ago. They sent me through the same tests, but when I offered to put my stocker back in to see if it worked, they told me they would replace there pump if the stocker worked fine. The stocker did work fine, and they replaced my pump. I don't blame them because the pumps aren't made by them, but you would think after so many similar cases, they would catch on and have a better way of taking care of the problem. I still think there wire harnesses are the **** though.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

i just got an email from racetronix saying that if im sure its the pump then we may beable to arrange something. im gonna keep my fingers crossed on this one. i told them the day i get the pump in the mail ill send the old one back to them. ill keep you all posted
Old 03-23-2005, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

My Racetronix single intank worked great and supported 475rwhp almost five years ago. It lives now in another car.

The Racetronix stuff is packaged well and as good as it gets. Sorry to hear you had problems maybe email Jack and chat with him, he's very responsive.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i would say its a bad batch of pumps?

..mistakes and defects happen.. i wish companies would be more understanding of these occurences.. its not like they are testing every one they sell to have that kind of confidence in the product. *it means return customers*
I don't think it's just a bad batch of pumps due to the spacing in time. Mine happened about 1.5 years ago. I agree with you about companies being more understanding with this stuff.

Also, to clarify my situation for anybody who may read this for diagnostics.. I also installed a return line and an Aeromotive regulator at the same time which complicated diagnosing things a little.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

i dont want anyone to take this wrong i love the racetronix kit, just wished they would be more understanding and see i tried to troubleshoot everything. seems they are starting to work with me somewhat now
Old 07-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Banned

Racetronix SUCKS!!!! I just Install Mine,The Damn PnP Harness
had Some Mess Up Wires + On The - I Took My Tank Off 3 Times Already...Still Dont Work...
Old 07-16-2006, 03:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

all the people that dont have problems with the pump, does your pump maintain pressure with the ignition off? if it as designed with no check ball, thats cool, they should've just said it was designed that way, and nobody would be questioning it. however, as much emphasis as they put on maintaining the fuel bucket's functionality, you'd think they have a way to maintain fuel pressure for faster starts.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

no fuel pressure with the key off most of the time, it should have a check ball in there.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Launching!

I can't believe I found this thread, I have a pump from racetronix that was purchased in march of 2005 and I had the same exact problem with it. I puirchased a second pump this year around february I believe for my car when I decided to do a twin intank installation to support the turbo I was putting on my car. note the car had not been run at all while the project was being built. started the car up and all seemed fine until I put it on the dyno and noted I was running out of fuel. I pulled the pumps and was amazed to find only one of my filter socks looked like it was pulling fuel. I initially though it was an elecrical issue, so I switched the pump plugs to verify this and submerged the pumps in a bucket of fuel with clear line to make sure both were pumping... the same pump was not putting anything out but was running.. what gives? so I emailed them and just as stated above they had me do some more checks and told me they would replace the pump if I returned it and they found something to be wrong with it. well I completed their checklist with no avail and tried contacting them again and have not heard anything back. I will say they called me back to try and walk me through the first time but only after several emails sent with no reply and then finally they answered a post I put up paging them. since then no response to correct the defective fuel pump. it resides repackaged in the original box it came in.. I purchased two of these pumps and cannot trust them now with my very expenive mill.. so I puchased an aeromotive A1000 and sumped the tank. but I would still like to recoup some of my money by having the pump replaced with a known good one and selling it even at a loss. rebuilding a fuel system is not cheap, and the $350 for both pumps was a rather large investment for this to have happened with as little help as I received from them. I had planned to let it go and just never purchase from them again, but I think now it was as stated above.. they received a batch of bad pumps.. this being the case, I am going to try one more time to contact them and hopefully they will do the right thing and let me return this pump to be checked out and send a functioning pump out. the pump I purchased at a different time was able to barely support 514rwhp/568rwtq on its own so when they are working they are good pumps.

if I had it to do over.. I would have gone with the Bosch units, they are a better product and are built to withstand the rigors of OEM 150k mile service life. rant off.

Chris
Old 07-16-2006, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

You guys realize Racetronix doesn't make the pump right? You guys can bash him all you want but it's not HIS warranty. It's Walbro. It's Walbro that sucks when it comes to replacing a possible defective pump.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Launching!

yes I realize this, but it IS their customer service department and when you do what they instruct you to do, reply to them several times and then get ignored after receiving a wonderful email 5 seconds after writing them and they tell this...

"Thank you for contacting the Racetronix tech support team. Your correspondence is very important to us. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Due to the ever increasing volume of correspondence Racetronix encourages its customers to contact their local authorized retailer for quick access to sales and support related information. A full list of vendors can be accessed from the Racetronix home page: http://www.racetronix.com/

PS. It is always best to contact the vendor from whom your product was purchased.

Please make sure you include in your e-mail as much detail as possible to help us help you diagnose your problem as quickly as possible.

Please make sure you provide:
- Your full name and daytime phone number
- The vehicle make, model and year
- The type of product (model #) and date of purchase (approximate is OK)
- The problem / symptoms you are experiencing
- The results of any tests / readings you have taken

Average response time is within one business day.

Please note Racetronix is a manufacture / distributor and is not open on weekends.

Racetronix
http://www.racetronix.com/"

and then you receive no response for over 5 weeks... that has nothing to do with walbro, that has only to do with racetronix, especially after they have written and called initially and told you they would take care of you. I am not bashing and have purchased over a $1200's worth of product I expect to at least have the common courtesy of a response and not be cast aside.

I would be more then happy to write to walbro and help Racetronix with their arguement to have these pumps that were obviously put out untested in QC, rectified. I know they have probably been fighting them, but as stated in other posts recently.. it is not the consumers problem to correct product purchased through a reseller. if that were the case all companies would carry no liability for the product line they were carrying. my pump came with no paprwork from walbro and was even packaged in "RACETRONIX" boxing...

not trying to bitch here, but I only want some resolution to a pump they have tons of in stock probably that never worked from day one they sent it out and they have had proper payment on time and before the product left their doors.

Chris
Old 07-16-2006, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

I was making a general statement for everyone involved, not just you.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this same problem as well. I thought it was an install problem but I'm glad to see i'm not the only one with the issue.

It's been pulled for a stocker for now but I do plan on running it eventually.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Launching!

I understand that, but after reading how much everyone else also went above and beyond to satisfay racetronix's requests to help them trouble shoot, and still came up to no avail. you would think they would possibly put their best foot forward and go ahead and send out a pump. otherwise why have us try different things without simply sending the pump back immediately and saving us the hassle of installing and removing the pumps. not so much an issue on a C4 vette as the tank opening is reached from the back top and only requires a few minutes to check the pumps, but on the F-bods where the tank must be dropped.... that is a hell of an undertaking to "try" things when they may well have known there to be bad pumps in circulation.

It isn't a bash on them, but some cooperation would be nice. If you purchased an engine from a builder and he asked you to tear into it to check the bore with a dial gauge to check the work.... see what I am saying? thats an extreme measure, but likewise is dropping a fuel tank to check a few things.

Chris
Old 07-16-2006, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lcvette
if I had it to do over.. I would have gone with the Bosch units, they are a better product and are built to withstand the rigors of OEM 150k mile service life. rant off.

Chris
I feel your pain. Walbro charges $40 for "warranty inspections". If the pump is defective, they replace it no charge, if not you're out the $$$.

Tell more about the Bosh units. Are they simply a stock replacement or are they considered a high-volume pump? Price and availability?
Old 07-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Hey,

Bosch is the number one innovator in fuel injection, they have pumps for any application from mild stock to wild ultra high horsepower. I will look for the company I found that knows about them better then any I have found, there have been several write ups on them being used, they deal in Boasch and weldon and are first rate and a quick phone call they will measure up your needs and desires and generously explain to you what your fuel requirements will be, recommend a variety of pumps from both bosch and weldon that will cover your bases. the name of the company is Kinsler fuel injection, their website is http://www.kinsler.com/ take a look at them and give them a call.. they are very very helpful and will take the time to explain in detail why they are recommending what they are so you have knowledge rather then just the word of someone on the other end of the line.

Chris
Old 07-16-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty
You guys realize Racetronix doesn't make the pump right? You guys can bash him all you want but it's not HIS warranty. It's Walbro. It's Walbro that sucks when it comes to replacing a possible defective pump.
that is true. the funny thing though is that you never hear a complaint about a walbro pump that you get directly from walbro or packaged as a walbro. only racetronix. from what i understand, the walbro pump racetronix sells has a different P/N than a walbro pump bought by itself for the same application. so that leads me to believe that racetronix had them make a pump specific to their(racetronix) specs and it is of a different quality (be it better or worse, in this case, sounds like worse) compared to the standalone pump walbro markets, or walbro wouldn't have went through the trouble of making an marketing their own. FWIW, the walbro pump i have (not racetronix) has a checkball in it and maintains rail pressure with thr ignition off.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah, the issue IS with racetronix, not only the product but **** poor customer service last time I dealt with them.

Quick Reply: Racetronix + Me = Never again