Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Anyone sump there stock tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007 | 11:48 PM
FormerVendor

Default Anyone sump there stock tank?

I need to **** or get off the pot with my fuel tank. I have been back and forth between a fuel cell and modifying my stock tank. In order to properly design a fuel system the biggest problem is fuel reserve in the tank. Originally I was going to install two -10AN fittings but without baffeling you risk the chance of pull air through the system. Stock tanks are not designed to pull fuel from anywhere but the center of the tank where the pickup and bucket is located. Based upon this I am leaning towards installing a sump kit and pulling the fuel from there. The other option was a large fuel cell but I would like to retain the stock fuel gauge.

Since I am upgrading to a 99+ PCM for custom OS purposes, I ended up picking up a later model gauge cluster and a 99+ plastic tank. 98 was the odd ball year for how the fuel is registered.

Any of you guys done the sump??

I spoke to the guys at Ricks Hotrod shop who makes a mean stealth tank that includes two Elimator pumps, filters, etc and is a bolt in............I just didn't like the price!
Old 01-19-2007 | 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Our 1998 metal tank has been gutted and we use a Comp ENg. (IIRC) weld-on sump. It has worked great for us.
Old 01-20-2007 | 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I plan to go with a sump AND keep my 1998 PCM. It pretty easy to do a sump yourself and not to mention, it looks badass. And if you cant do it yourself, Im very sure that it will be pretty cheap to have a shop do it compared to getting a custom pre-fabbed sumped tank, thats alot of $$$!
Old 01-21-2007 | 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Redline-Motorsports
I need to **** or get off the pot with my fuel tank. I have been back and forth between a fuel cell and modifying my stock tank. In order to properly design a fuel system the biggest problem is fuel reserve in the tank. Originally I was going to install two -10AN fittings but without baffeling you risk the chance of pull air through the system. Stock tanks are not designed to pull fuel from anywhere but the center of the tank where the pickup and bucket is located. Based upon this I am leaning towards installing a sump kit and pulling the fuel from there. The other option was a large fuel cell but I would like to retain the stock fuel gauge.

Since I am upgrading to a 99+ PCM for custom OS purposes, I ended up picking up a later model gauge cluster and a 99+ plastic tank. 98 was the odd ball year for how the fuel is registered.

I spoke to the guys at Ricks Hotrod shop who makes a mean stealth tank that includes two Elimator pumps, filters, etc and is a bolt in............I just didn't like the price!
May I ask what the price was for Ricks Hotrod Tank? I have a stock tank sumped with a comp engineering sump. I need to run a Eliminator pump as well, and I am a little worried that the stock tank even though sumped might not get the job done. Other options were the NASTY Tank and Ricks Hotrod Tank. I dunno?
Old 01-21-2007 | 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dwn Cam
May I ask what the price was for Ricks Hotrod Tank? I have a stock tank sumped with a comp engineering sump. I need to run a Eliminator pump as well, and I am a little worried that the stock tank even though sumped might not get the job done. Other options were the NASTY Tank and Ricks Hotrod Tank. I dunno?
In what way wouldnt the stock sumped tank "get the job done"?
Old 01-21-2007 | 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not an F body, but I sumped my GTO tank and had Ricks hot rod shop build me a small surge tank. Put the surge tank in the evap cannisters spot, and relocated the evap cannister.
Old 01-23-2007 | 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have a 2001 car. I used my cluster, 98 tank and sender and it works great. Just be careful not to bend the fuel level rod when inserting it back in. I think I even re-pinned it to match up to the 01 wiring schematics. Its been awhile. I used a Comp Engineering sump kit and also a bulkhead in the top of the sending unit itself for a vent. Installed the return line in the front off the tank shooting towards the baffled sump setup.
Old 01-23-2007 | 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dwn Cam
Yes both outlets y;d together to feed that pump. Im running a Weldon 2025A off mine. No issues nor will I ever have any.
Old 01-23-2007 | 10:16 PM
FormerVendor

Ricks Hot Rod wanted about $ 1200 for the tank with no pumps.

The fuel system we have designed will support 1600 hp forced induction. Twin A1000's out of a "sumped" area is a must.

We are converting our electronics over the 99+ so we can use custom OS's. We had obtained a 99+ cluster and plastic pump but it looks like we are going to need to find a way to keep the 99+ sensor with the 98 tank.
Old 01-27-2007 | 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6techniques
In what way wouldnt the stock sumped tank "get the job done"?
I was always a little concerned because I have a earlier model of Comp Engineerings sump. Pre 1/2" bungs. I have the 3/8" bungs which at the time was the only thing they offered. The thing that I was concerned with is that the stock tank does not have any real internal baffeling, there is really no way to control the inlet and exit of the fuel.

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Yes both outlets y;d together to feed that pump. Im running a Weldon 2025A off mine. No issues nor will I ever have any.
That is what I was thinking as well. How do you like your Weldon? I have been so torn between the weldon 2025 and the Aeromotive Eliminator. The weldon was used during my engine dyno testing and it worked flawless, but you really do pay to play with those pumps.

Ricks Hot Rod wanted about $ 1200 for the tank with no pumps.

The fuel system we have designed will support 1600 hp forced induction. Twin A1000's out of a "sumped" area is a must.
Thanks for the info on Ricks Tank.

The Twin system sounds like an awsome idea, and a lot of headaches's.

Quick Reply: Anyone sump there stock tank?