Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Going with Lonnies double pumper

Old 02-06-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Going with Lonnies double pumper

Well after going through two fuel pumps I have decided to go with Lonnies double pumper setup. Even though the guys at EPP have been the best and tried to help me with my problems, I have finally decided to end all my problems by going with this setup. I have read countless threads regarding fuel pressure and have came to the conclusion that my 340ss w/MSD bap is not enough and will not keep up with the amount of rwhp my fi setup is pushing (525 rwhp). I would like to know from everyone here what they think about the double pump setup. Am I wrong for going this route??? ONE OTHER THING will I have to get a new tune with this setup??
Old 02-06-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have plans to go with the double pump setup as well so If anyone can answer Tirefire's questions I have one more. What is the limit of this double pump system as far as rwhp.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my lonnies double pumper setup. Talk to lonnie and tell him about your setup, I.E. Let him know if your battery is front mounted or rear mounted and he can custom make the hotwire kit accordingly. Mine is great and the second pump has a hobbs switch so that the second pump comes on when it sees boost, so your not tooling around town with both pumps running all the time and heating up the fuel. Also, He was real helpful about all my questions when I wanted to tap my meth injection into the hobbs switch so that it would come on with the second pump. I've dealt with tons of people on my buildup and lonnie has the best customer service.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:08 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

I'm sending mine out to Lonnie tomorrow. Turn around time is only a few days. The price of the Racetronix kit on his website includes assembly, wiring harness, Hobbs switch, etc., and is tested before he sends it back. I bought a used bucket/pump on ebay to send him and have built up, so I can just swap it out for my current Racetronix pump once i'm ready. I've talked with Lonnie a couple of times and he is very willing to give information and help out with any problems that you may run into.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Yea I talked to Lonnie yesterday and was very helpful with all my questions. I also bought my new sending unit yesterday from a salvage yard I'll probably send it out today. SS1 are you going to retune after you put on the double pump?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:19 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Yes, but not just for that reason alone. I'm going to a bigger head unit, along with a front mount FPR, new lines, and bigger injectors when I install the double pumper. I'm not sure otherwise.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:15 PM
FormerVendor

We sell alot of the Lonnies dual pump kits with our fuel systems and have seen great results. Have seen as much as 900-950rwhp out of our dual pump kits.

Nate
Old 02-08-2007, 05:55 AM
TECH Resident

Does anyone know if I will have to retune after I install this setup. I'm thinking I shouldn't have to since I will only be using 1 pump up until I get to about 5 psi of boost and the hobbs switch activates my second pump.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:23 PM
FormerVendor

I would certainly rec. it esp. if you are using the Hobbs switch it will through off your AFR.

Nate
Old 02-09-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Alright thanks.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Actually the hobbs switch should only cause a minimal bump in pressure since it comes on at approximately 4.5# boost. This is intended minimize the fuel pressure fluctuation, as car will be using a significant amount of fuel at this time.

The reason I would consider a retune is that your previous tune may have compensated for a fuel pressure drop at high rpm. With the additional fuel capability & corresponding stable pressure, the car may run richer than it did before the pump upgrade.

Since I recently joined the board, I'll be here to answer any additional questions you may have.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Lonnie, do you guys offer anything for the truck guys. I'm looking for a double pump setup of some sort.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes,
I have done double pumpers for the '03 & earlier return style. I am currently building my first '04 pickup setup which will be completed in about 1 week. This will require at minimum, a return line & regulator & new inline filter as I am eliminating these intank components. I can also supply a complete fuel system with lines, rails, filter & regulator.

Please go to my site for more listings in the fuel systems section.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:03 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Welcome aboard Lonnie! Glad to see you signed up here. My junk arrived at your place today
Old 02-12-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lonnie,
Is there a different price for those of who are already running one of the racetronix single 255 kits with their hotwire kit since alot of it may be able to be reused?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Unfortunately, the harness is designed differently, so it is not just 2 single harnesses.

Also, there are some minor differences with the pumps. (no venturi line, etc.) Plus I prefer 2 new matched pumps as well, since I cannot risk my reputation by using a pump of unknown performance. By the time I cut & modify your harness & pressure/flow test your pump, my labor would consume most of the savings.

I recommend you keep your existing kit & try to sell it. Many of my customers have done this & they seem to sell rather easily. Often you can sell/swap baskets with someone. They are happy as it saves them the modification labor of installing a new pump & you could send me a stock basket to modify.

Any other questions please ask.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 PM
FormerVendor

Tirefire, I pushed my single with BAP and Meth to .... well.... it's like this: I have a MAF tune (till I get off my *** and 3-bar the car) so once the MAF is buried (around 8-9psi) I have to give enough fuel for max boost (16.5psi right now). I dyno'd but could only make 10psi on the dyno, so it was UNBELIEVABLY rich, but made like 589RWHP at 10.2psi. I HAD been running 12.5psi on the street with the single pump and with the AFR leaning out to about 10.9-11.2:1 at the end. I'd say that was somewhere around mid 600s given that leaner AFR. My pressure was falling to like 32ish psi but it always fell predictably so I cheated my PE table to compensate for the fall. With that table being cheated, once I added the second pump, my max pressure under boost (still 12.5psi) was almost 75psi and I couldn't take enough fuel out via PE. I ended up lowering the base FP to like 50psi and re-tuning. I'm seeing 65-66 psi now at full boost (15-16psi now) rock solid.

To be honest, I can't tell when exactly that second pump switches on (via hobbs switch) but I know that it does. I thought I'd see a pressure spike, but the pressure is already on the way up from the boost referenced front mount regulator.

I don't know if this gives you any insight, but that's how it was for me. I made my own setup but to be honest, If I had known about Lonnie's setup back in fall of '05 (when I was buying up parts) I would have gotten it.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:59 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Lonnie good to see you here. How are things coming along?

Nate
Old 02-13-2007, 05:00 AM
TECH Resident

Hey Frost, thanks for the help I believe that is how my setup might have been done because my AFR at max boost (8 lbs) is about 10.2-10.3. But I don't trust my Innovate sensor because it throws out weird numbers sometimes. Like I've always said the car runs great, but just looking at the fuel pressure gauge and seeing my fp drop that much makes me nervous. Now I have to deal with a P0332 code which I have read is a rear knock sensor and or a leaning out problem. Lonnie I will be sending you a new sending unit maybe in a couple days. My wife has to go to Phoenix, AZ so I'm hoping to install the two pumps hopefully by the beginning of next week so I can drive out there and get a new tune...
Old 02-13-2007, 05:09 AM
TECH Resident

Frost, I don't have a front mount regulator so how do you think the double pump setup will work with the factory lines and regulator in the tank?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going with Lonnies double pumper