Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Bad gas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad gas?

I've been trying to diagnose this problem without success for a week now, so I'm running out of ideas.

Basically the car hesitates from 4000 RPMs on up.

I've replaced the fuel filter and the plugs, as well as run Autotap. Autotap shows running a little lean, but nothing too major. I also checked fuel rail pressure and it's constant at about 60psi.

Autotap was showing that I was getting Knock Retard above 4000 RPMs and was pulling about 12 degrees of timing.

Long story short, could bad gas cause Knock Retard?
Old 03-26-2003, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Bad gas?

yes, bad gas can cause knock......its why the computer has a high octane and low octane table. If you get some "bad" gas, the computer will swith over to lower spark advance figures.

Is the car stock? What changes (ANYTHING....even different type of plugs) have you made to the car?

The fuel rail pressure is remaining high so there is no restriction to the injectors (pump, filter, and lines).

The leaning out to me seems more like something to do with the computer being out of calibration (often happens from MAF changes).

The hesitation could very likly be from the leaning (not enough fuel) and with the knock retard, you are not producing near the HP you should be.

List all the changes you have made so people can see what might be causing the problem.

Chris