Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Billet Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billet Regulator

I recieved my billet pressure regulator from Speed Inc tonight. I was going to install it tomorrow but there was no docs so I'm a little lost as to the inlet, outlet, return sequence on this unit. It has 2 openings on the sides and 1 on the bottom. Anybody out there know what goes where?
Old 05-17-2003, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Billet Regulator

On the better fpr's there are 2 inlets (which connect to the ends or outputs of the fuel rails) and a return port. The 2 ports that are in similar locations will be inputs and the bottom is the return - at least on the Weldon unit.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the reply. This regulator has 3 openings. 2 on the sides, and 1 on the bottom. I guess it makes sense that the 2 on sides are fuel in and fuel out, and the one on the bottom is the return. I'm speculating that pressure just builds in the top cavity and when it reaches a threshold it dumps out the bottom. This would mean that either of the 2 side ports could be used as fuel in or fuel out. What do you guys think?
Old 05-17-2003, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What I was trying to say is bothe of the side port are fuel in - but remember the regulator is supposed to be plumbed after the fuel rails, so the fpr input ports receive lines from the fuel rails. The other side of the fuel rails is the fuel coming in.

This graphic says it all: http://www.weldonracing.com/Images/fi-install.jpg
Old 05-17-2003, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Dave, I understand. The fuel pump and regulator are for an LS1 powered Kit Car. All I have at this point is a stock fuel rail from a 99 firebird, a 255 LPH external pump, and a billet fuel pressure regulator. The setup in the picture really makes good sense to me as that would guarentee the correct pressure at the rails all the time as long as the pump can keep up. It looks as though I may end up with some fuel rails as the tank I have would have to be cut up to accomadate an intank setup. I wonder how well it would work if I had the regulator right next to the stock rail?
Old 05-18-2003, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see how you can use a stock rail without brazing fittings on it, and the pulse damper is not needed. So, since you are fabricating things anyway, ditch the stock rail and get aftermarket ones that accept fittings for braided lines. Should save you some time and look better. The fpr can be mounted any convienient place in the engine bay, I'd be most concered about reducing clutter and line placement.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

I think your right Dave. I dont want to set this up twice. Speed Inc. has a nice set of rails, I'll go for that.
You've been a great help Dave, Thanks Again,
Dale
Old 05-18-2003, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i have the speed inc rails and the regulator you bought.. check my install pics and feel free to im me and ?'s.. i got my fittings from jegs.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:21 AM
00z
On The Tree

is this a good mod to do on a bolt on ls1 or should you only do this with a heavily modded ls1.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

heavily modded, when you need more fuel flow than stock can provide
Old 05-19-2003, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice Setup MightyMouse, the way my car is setup it's easier for me to run the fuel into the front of the rails, and exit on the back. The regulator will be mounted on the firewall about 3 inch’s above and 3 inch’s back from the intake. I'll run the feed line from the back and over the manifold to a Y then to the rails. The exits will go straight to the regulator, and the return will just follow the line back to the tank. I plan on just going to run one filter before the pump unless someone suggests a different approach.

Dale
Old 05-19-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Dale,
On my conversion I used thier regulator, inlet on the side outlet on the other side, return on the bottom, It will work fine on the stock rail. I used the russles hard tube to AN fitting adapter. Its like 6 bucks, looks good, and works great. Email me if you want to see wome pics. Lesrace82@aol.com
Old 05-20-2003, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

i used that 3/8 adaptor to to turn my old stock pressure line into a return line.. my regulator is mounted to the top of it.

thaks for the compliment btw.. i have the one big filter on the way up, and the stock filter on the way back.