Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Belt driven fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome Fab skills Phil.
Thanks for posting up the nice pics, this will me give some ideas.
With the pump mounted low like you have done, I would think that
it would stay primed all the time.
That is where I will be mounting mine.
Nice work, I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 12-16-2007, 03:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so is the areomotive pump streetable? What happens if the belt flys off in the middle of a pass?
Old 12-16-2007, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then you go lean
Old 12-16-2007, 07:26 PM
8 Second Club

I used this mandrel on my car it bolted right up to my sbc ATI damper very nice piece.http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/viewP...=STR.04.07.000
Old 12-16-2007, 08:18 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1408cp
so is the areomotive pump streetable? What happens if the belt flys off in the middle of a pass?
Dunno if its streetable but I've heard it makes tuning soo much more consistent because you eliminate the voltage variance. If the belt flys off, the motor shuts off.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Dunno if its streetable but I've heard it makes tuning soo much more consistent because you eliminate the voltage variance. If the belt flys off, the motor shuts off.
Yeah, after being incredibly lean under high load and high RPMs. That sounds good for the motor, especially if spraying or boosting
Old 12-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Not as bad as when the dry sump belt flys off.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, the Aeromotive belt pumps are completely streetable.
Aside from the reduced fuel recirculation rate at slower speeds, you are not heating the fuel by cooling a hot electric motor.
I will be running E85 and running over 90psi of fuel pressure, so there is not a very "streetable" electric pump up to this task.
I would much rather spit a belt and have the car run lean for a millisecond and die out, then have an electric "almost" supply enough fuel the entire pass and MELT the motor.
Asking an electric to do 1,000lbs/hr of fuel consistantly is asking a lot!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

sounds good now if i could get part numbers for the right balancer and mandel drive so i dont have to do any machining.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the standatd ATI balancer for the LS1 with the F-body accessories.
The ATI balancers use the larger big block chevy pattern.
I will have the Aeromotive drive setup in my hands within the week and I will post
up pictures when I get it.
It seems like a simple item to fab up.
The pullies for the crank and pump are adjustable, so it should be a snap to get
everything lined up. We will see....
Old 12-17-2007, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

cool keep us updated and keep the part numbers that would be great thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camarols1
Yes, the Aeromotive belt pumps are completely streetable.
Aside from the reduced fuel recirculation rate at slower speeds, you are not heating the fuel by cooling a hot electric motor.
I will be running E85 and running over 90psi of fuel pressure, so there is not a very "streetable" electric pump up to this task.
I would much rather spit a belt and have the car run lean for a millisecond and die out, then have an electric "almost" supply enough fuel the entire pass and MELT the motor.
Asking an electric to do 1,000lbs/hr of fuel consistantly is asking a lot!
I would beg to differ with you on the above highlighted point -- our 2345-A when used in conjunction with the 14000 controller will work extremely well in applications such as yours. I not saying its the only way to go (since you're going mechanical and others have also), but it is an option for individuals wishing to stay with an electric fuel pump and a rear mount tank or cell.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jim Craig
I would beg to differ with you on the above highlighted point -- our 2345-A when used in conjunction with the 14000 controller will work extremely well in applications such as yours. I not saying its the only way to go (since you're going mechanical and others have also), but it is an option for individuals wishing to stay with an electric fuel pump and a rear mount tank or cell.
I am pretty sure you can run a belt drive with a rear mounted cell.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, a rear mounted cell is no problem.
Most use a -10 feed to the front, but I am running a -12 with e85 just to be sure, per Aeromotive's advise.

Jim Craig~
The max pressure of the 2345-A is 80psi versus 200psi for the belt pump.
On my race tune I will be running 80psi base fuel pressure plus boost reference, for up to 100psi total which is beyond the capability of the Weldon. They are great pumps, but I believe that the belt drive is the best bet for my unique high fuel pressure application.
I want to keep the 96lb injectors in the car so that I can easily switch back to regular pump fuel by reducing the fuel pressure if needed.
This way if I am on a road trip without a laptop I can fill up with regular gas if needed and have the car run well enough to get home safely.
If e85 becomes more commonplace then I might switch to the big 160's.
Back on topic.....
Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Smile Belt drive Aero pump

Here is a link to some pics of my belt drive setup. Sorry it's not an LS engine, but you get the idea anyway. I am running a Moroso drive that originally is used for an dry sump pump. The default pump pulley is a 28 tooth from Aero and I have a 17 tooth crank pulley. I can run the engine as high as 8000 without with pump being turned too fast. The pulley configuration will help in building fuel pressure quicker for faster startups. I also use a rear cell. Once primed, the pump acts like a cork in the main feed line. Siphoning effect will drain the 5 gallon tank out on the floor in a matter of minutes if the line were taken loose from the pump. -12 feed and -10 return. Maybe someone one day will think they need this engine and I can build an X engine then.
J.

http://wichitaracing.com/forums/show...t=31754&page=3
Old 12-18-2007, 11:42 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bracket Boy
Here is a link to some pics of my belt drive setup. Sorry it's not an LS engine, but you get the idea anyway. I am running a Moroso drive that originally is used for an dry sump pump. The default pump pulley is a 28 tooth from Aero and I have a 17 tooth crank pulley. I can run the engine as high as 8000 without with pump being turned too fast. The pulley configuration will help in building fuel pressure quicker for faster startups. I also use a rear cell. Once primed, the pump acts like a cork in the main feed line. Siphoning effect will drain the 5 gallon tank out on the floor in a matter of minutes if the line were taken loose from the pump. -12 feed and -10 return. Maybe someone one day will think they need this engine and I can build an X engine then.
J.

http://wichitaracing.com/forums/show...t=31754&page=3
Post the pics over here, you need to register to see them. Are you running a 16 or 12 volt system?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

camarols1, good to see your project coming along so well. I'm curious if the injectors will have problems opening with 100 psig line pressure and boost. I haven't pushed my pressure up that high before so I'd like to know before I order an additional set of injectors. Another mechanical fuel pump to consider would be a Waterman, Ive seen them last for ever on neglected alcohol sprint cars so it should last a life time on a drag car. Mines cam driven on a conventional small block, but they also can take a belt drive for engines that require them.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TT632
camarols1, good to see your project coming along so well. I'm curious if the injectors will have problems opening with 100 psig line pressure and boost. I haven't pushed my pressure up that high before so I'd like to know before I order an additional set of injectors. Another mechanical fuel pump to consider would be a Waterman, Ive seen them last for ever on neglected alcohol sprint cars so it should last a life time on a drag car. Mines cam driven on a conventional small block, but they also can take a belt drive for engines that require them.
Thanks TT632!
RC Eng. says the Delphi 96lb injectors are fine up to 120psi, so I will push the envelope to see what happens.
I wanted to try something different and see how it works.
If I can squeak by with the 96lb'ers, I can also run pump 93 at lower boost settings or in case I get stranded somewhere.
I still have to pass a sniffer test, so running 160's on the street is not an option for me.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Oopps, sorry about the registering issue. I found out when I tried to go there myself.
Phil I am currently using a 12 volt system and here are a few pics of my engine, belt pump and the car.
J.

Name:  Jamie5.jpg
Views: 4183
Size:  68.2 KB
Name:  Jamie1.jpg
Views: 4937
Size:  33.8 KB
Name:  Jamie7.jpg
Views: 3337
Size:  47.0 KB
Name:  jamiestruts3.jpg
Views: 3424
Size:  33.5 KB
Name:  jamiestruts.jpg
Views: 3403
Size:  39.6 KB
Old 12-19-2007, 08:24 AM
7 Second Club

Bracketboy,
Great pics, How does the car start compared to a normal electric fuel pump? I went with a 16 volt system to try and spin the motor alittle faster.

Quick Reply: Belt driven fuel pump