Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

racetronix prolem

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

No luck required. Just the proper tools and the ability to follow the step-by-step diagnostic procedure laid out in the GM service manual.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Commons GM problem. Best thing to do is to remove completely that wiring connection fron the fuel pump power feed circut. Dril a hole add a grommet. I warned about this problem with highflow pumps. I have warned many people that the factory GM connectors and pins are insufficient.

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
My fuel pump shut off while I was driving and it hasn't turned on since. I had to have the car towed home and I have gone over all the fuses and even replaced the pump thinking that may have been the problem. I have run the wire back from the battery and it gets power all the way back to the block thats near the rear of the car and then it receives no power after that. The connection is good and tight but I believe this block may be blown. Anybody ever see this before? Its the black square block that has five prongs that stick out of it when disconnected, its connected to the ground wire.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1curious
Commons GM problem. Best thing to do is to remove completely that wiring connection fron the fuel pump power feed circut. Dril a hole add a grommet. I warned about this problem with highflow pumps. I have warned many people that the factory GM connectors and pins are insufficient.
Until he goes through the diagnostic procedure any attempt at a corrective action is a shot in the dark. As long as he is using the Racetronix harness there will be little load on the factory fuel pump circuit so the pump's draw is irrelevant.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Typically the pin in the bucket assembly burns out. I also see it on a dialy basis.

Originally Posted by Racetronix
Until he goes through the diagnostic procedure any attempt at a corrective action is a shot in the dark. As long as he is using the Racetronix harness there will be little load on the factory fuel pump circuit so the pump's draw is irrelevant.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I only worked on the car for a short while but heres what I did. I tried to get power to the gray wire underneath the door sill and couldn't get any. So I started over again and the fuse gets power to and from. The relay gets power to it but no juice coming out. So I jumpered the relay under the hood and everything works fine power to the pump ect. Bought a new relay for ***** and giggles and obviously no workie. Tomorrow I'm gonna recheck my PCM connections to see if maybe there is some corrosion I missed or something similar because something is telling that relay to not switch power back to the pump.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It could be the original relay at the front of the car has had some sort of malfunction. Its on the drivers side fuse box behind the head light. I have seen those pins burnout and fial to. Gotta remeber you had a walbro pump before you had a hot wire kit. Damage done then is just rearing its ugly head now.

Today I only worked on the car for a short while but heres what I did. I tried to get power to the gray wire underneath the door sill and couldn't get any. So I started over again and the fuse gets power to and from. The relay gets power to it but no juice coming out. So I jumpered the relay under the hood and everything works fine power to the pump ect. Bought a new relay for ***** and giggles and obviously no workie. Tomorrow I'm gonna recheck my PCM connections to see if maybe there is some corrosion I missed or something similar because something is telling that relay to not switch power back to the pump.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats the relay I'm talking about, I replaced it and it still didn't work. Something is telling it not to send out power. Also I installed the entire Racetronix kit at once so I never ran the pump without the hotwire kit.

Last edited by Detroitmuscle; 09-20-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

it gets power all the way back to the block thats near the rear of the car and then it receives no power after that.
Based on this, it sounds like the problem is concentrated either at the connection itself or the harness between the block and fuel pump.

I assume you're testing for power with the Ignition in the ON position (engine off). The block you are referring to supplies power to the fuel pump and rear ABS, so if it was bad you wouldn't have power for that circuit as well. Anyway, try swapping back the stock plug n play wiring harness that connects between block and fuel pump.

If that doesn't fix the problem, check the inside of the female connector for the power (grey or orange?). Over time they spread apart and will not form a solid connection with the male pin on the body mounted block. A dead giveaway to this problem is carbon (looks like soot) located on the pin caused by arcing. You need to tighten up the metal tabs on the inside of the pin for a solid connection.

Important: You must use the the little "lock tab" that slides between the harness and block. Otherwise road noise and vibrations will cause it to back out and lose connection resulting in power loss.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

All test were done with the power turned on but not cranking the car. If you read my previous posts I found that jumpering past that racetronix relay allows power to the pump, meaning that my stock wiring harness has a good connection. The reason that relay doesn't work by itself is that ther factory rear connector (near the rear shock) isn't recieving any power at all on the positive prong so it doesn't send out juice either.

The factory rear connector isn't recieveing power because of the other relay located under the hood. This relay recieves power but for some reason doesn't switch the power out to the rear of the car. If you jumper this relay under the hood everything works perfectly fine, even going through the racetronix relay.

My conclusion would then be to check my pcm connections and see if any of them are loose or corroded resulting in not allowing the underhood relay to switch power over.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you check PCM fuse A and B as well as ignition fuse 1. Also a loose ground at the back of the head could cuase this as well.

All test were done with the power turned on but not cranking the car. If you read my previous posts I found that jumpering past that racetronix relay allows power to the pump, meaning that my stock wiring harness has a good connection. The reason that relay doesn't work by itself is that ther factory rear connector (near the rear shock) isn't recieving any power at all on the positive prong so it doesn't send out juice either.

The factory rear connector isn't recieveing power because of the other relay located under the hood. This relay recieves power but for some reason doesn't switch the power out to the rear of the car. If you jumper this relay under the hood everything works perfectly fine, even going through the racetronix relay.

My conclusion would then be to check my pcm connections and see if any of them are loose or corroded resulting in not allowing the underhood relay to switch power over.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have not checked any of those fuses, are they all located under the hood with the others? I haven't bothered to look or check them but I certainly will as well as the bolt on the back of the head. Thanks S
Old 09-20-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

due to server maintence i couldn;t check the schematic but basically those fuses are all underhood in the fuse box behind the head lamp. Yes check ground all of them. If the PCM can;t ground the relay control pin no power for you. Given the fact that your car also has other issues with odd electrical behavoirs I would not be surprised to find loose ground wires.

I have not checked any of those fuses, are they all located under the hood with the others? I haven't bothered to look or check them but I certainly will as well as the bolt on the back of the head. Thanks S
Old 09-21-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Finally some good news this morning. I woke up and checked the back of the head for good ground connections and one of the wires had come completely out of its crimping and was just dangling behind there

Only thing that sucks is I have to leave for work now so I won't even be able to make sure thats the problem until later this evening Hopefully thats it and the car will be running later on tonight.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good read...should be helpful to folks chasing down any electrical issues...process of trial and error.
JC
Old 09-21-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Question

Finally some good news this morning. I woke up and checked the back of the head for good ground connections and one of the wires had come completely out of its crimping and was just dangling behind there

What wire, factory wire or a Racetronix wire?
Old 09-22-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

factory wire, it should be an easy fix if thats the problem. I'll update tomorrow on how it goes. Got other things to do right now
Old 09-23-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE!!
I finally got to work on the car today and simply installed a new crimper on the old wire and tightened the grounds back down on the head. The car got full power to the pump so I continued to put it back the way it was. Drove a couple of miles and the car drives excellent. A big thanks goes out to my g/f who helped me get those damn fuel lines back onto the pump housing, she helped out a lot. Good to be tearing it up again before winter

Thanks to everyone who helped.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:14 AM
10 Second Club

About time. Glad she's fixed!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting the actual cause of the problem. Some products get bad publicity, when they are not at fault. Glad you found your problem.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep it was certainly not a Racetronix problem. They were actually very very helpful with the situation even when I jumped to conclusions and got rude thinking it was their relay. My hats off to them for their support.

Quick Reply: racetronix prolem