Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

hole in gas tank? help sealing it up!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007 | 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Default hole in gas tank? help sealing it up!

I have a 9" with a fill plug on the top and it has been hitting the (plastic) gas tank. I now noticed that it seems to have punctured through, although when the tank is filled up all the way it does not show signs of leaking.

I dont really remember when I installed a new fuel pump, is there any kind of protective liner inside the plastic tank? How can I protect/seal the crack back up? I dont know what to use that is safe with gasoline.

help needed!
Old 10-01-2007 | 08:57 PM
Launching!

you can try some good epoxy but I personaly have not seen that last to long, others may have had better luck. if you do epoxy I would put a thin piece of sheet metal over the epoxy to act as a doubler. I would look at this as a temporary fix it may last 5 years or 5 days. 98 metal tanks are smaller and if the get a hole you can weld it up (with proper safety precautions).
Old 10-02-2007 | 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

talked to a guy at Permatex, he said all commercial gas tank fix/sealers are meant for metal and won't bond well to plastic tanks. He suggested "moto seal" with is a gasket maker for plastic and metal that is impervious to gasoline (also fairly heat resistant).
Im going to try to drill a hole where the puncture is, then fit a screw with a big washer in it, and put that stuff all around.