Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

LS1 just began to not start. fuel ? sensors ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost know it got to be my fuel pump, because when I pull out on the road and give it more than half throttle it will hesitate and stumble until it gets past that certain rpm point. About 2500rpm. when im wot it seems like it lacks power in the upper rpm's and will hesitate a little. Ive also done all the tune ups you have done
Old 10-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Well my car wont start so with just the key on it pressures to 50 PSI. as for finding the crank sensor, i couldnt find anything. i got the car in the air and looked all around the back of the harmonic balancer and there no electrical wires or sensors. Its a 2001 and has a dual serpintine belt. so i went to autozone to see if they had pics of where it might be and they said and showed it in the same place, right behind the balancer. i still couldnt find it unless its hidden.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

I guess since its not building enouph pressure it not letting the injectors pulse because it should read 60psi by the haynes repair manuel. As for the crank sensor you probably have to take the pulley off
Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

If you have any luck let me know. Im off to work
Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Did you check for spark? I really don't think it's gonna be your fuel pressure.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quick_68
Well my car wont start so with just the key on it pressures to 50 PSI. as for finding the crank sensor, i couldnt find anything. i got the car in the air and looked all around the back of the harmonic balancer and there no electrical wires or sensors. Its a 2001 and has a dual serpintine belt. so i went to autozone to see if they had pics of where it might be and they said and showed it in the same place, right behind the balancer. i still couldnt find it unless its hidden.
The crank sensor is on the back side of the block. I think it is on the starter side but I know its at the rear of the block because it has to get a signal off of the reluctor wheel on the back of the crank.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Did you check your ignition relay under the hood. You can do a quick check by swapping it out with the fan relay.(Same relays)
Old 10-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Teching In

where is that relay located?

anyone else having any luck with thier car?

i havent had the time to check the sensors. I take it the crank sensor you have to remove the starter?

also if it was the crank or cam sensor would i get a check engine light?
thanks again
Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Teching In

FOUND IT !!!
IT WAS THE RELAY!!
thanks so much for the help! i did what ya said i switched them and it fired right up!!!
thanks again
Tyler
Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

No prob, glad you got it fixed.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Hi, Glad I found this post. Caribe & Quicks thoughts helped so much on what was wrong. Son's car was doing the same thing, Intermitten no start and sometimes when running, it stumbled like bad gas. Changing out the fuel filter didn't help. In the lower under the hood electrical box. Initally swapped the fuel pump relay with the A/C relay right next to it. Started right up. Thought that was the problem. Bought a new F/P relay. Not quite done yet with probs. Acted up again. In the upper electrical box. Swapped the Ignition relay with the #2 cooling fan relay. Started right up. Swapped them back & a no start. I tested the contacs on both older relays, Fuel & Ignition. You use jumper wires to energize pins 86 & 85-87? if I remember right. They are diagonaly across from one another. Feel the relay click. Then use an ohm meter to test the values on the other 2 pins. Both showed about .5 resistence. New relays showed 0.0 resistance. Not too burnt on the internal contacs. What was happening on the old ignition relay. Key on, when I would push it in to the holder. It wouldn't click every time. Tryed about 10X pulling it out & pushing it back in. Clicked about 4-5X when doing it. Tryed the fan relay next & clicked every time. Internal relay electro-magnet was going bad. Hope this helps someone trying to scope out the same intermitten problem. Dave

Last edited by locodave46; 10-29-2007 at 10:45 AM.