Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

LS1 just began to not start. fuel ? sensors ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 just began to not start. fuel ? sensors ?

Hey all,
Last week i parked my 2001 Camaro ss in my drive way, came back to start it a few hours later and it was a no go. I cranked on it for a couple minutes listening to it trying to find the problem. The fuel pump was whinning and sounded normal. Finally it started sputtered a little but was fine after that. i took it down to my garage and then shut it off. I then tried to start it and it fired right up like it use to do. A day later i go to start it up and it would not start at all.

I hooked up a pressure gauge to the fuel line and checked it to see if the pump was bad. It read 50 psi and held it. is that the proper psi stock pump?

only mod that i did to the car was a SLP lid and k and n air filter. rest is stock with only 39,000 miles on it.

Next i thought it may be sensors, is there anyway to check those? The car is not throwing any codes either.

Thank you for your help im more of a carb guy so all these sensors and fuel injection equipment is kinda new to me
thanks again
Tyler

let me know if you need any other information.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quick_68
Hey all,
Last week i parked my 2001 Camaro ss in my drive way, came back to start it a few hours later and it was a no go. I cranked on it for a couple minutes listening to it trying to find the problem. The fuel pump was whinning and sounded normal. Finally it started sputtered a little but was fine after that. i took it down to my garage and then shut it off. I then tried to start it and it fired right up like it use to do. A day later i go to start it up and it would not start at all.

I hooked up a pressure gauge to the fuel line and checked it to see if the pump was bad. It read 50 psi and held it. is that the proper psi stock pump?

only mod that i did to the car was a SLP lid and k and n air filter. rest is stock with only 39,000 miles on it.

Next i thought it may be sensors, is there anyway to check those? The car is not throwing any codes either.

Thank you for your help im more of a carb guy so all these sensors and fuel injection equipment is kinda new to me
thanks again
Tyler

let me know if you need any other information.
this also just happened to me today! it really sucked. i looked at everything and it all looked good. but i then took and blew out all of the electrical pigtail and all that bs around the maf, 02s and coil packs and it finally started running like before. i noticed alot of water on the pigtails, so that was deff. the prob. for me. good luck to you man!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Might want to carefully clean your MAF - K&N filter oil can cause problems. Use brake cleaner and a clean rag and very gently wipe the metal parts. I've personally never done it but I watched my tuner doing it before my dyno tune.

A new fuel filter might be a good idea if you haven't changed it in a while.

I assume the SES light isn't on. If it is read the codes, that would be helpful.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Teching In

anyone? i have no clue whate else it could be and im not a big fan of taking my cars to a dealership to get worked on.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Teching In

hey guys thanks for the help so far,
i changed the fuel filter and that did not help. ill try the MAF sensor tonight. The SES light is not on, nor is it throwing any codes. I got a scanner just incase checked it and nothing came up on anything. said no codes found. I talk to some dealership techs and they said it could be the crank or cam sensor. The thing is though this car is stock and was heardly ever driven before i got ahold of it. Also just in case you were wondering the obvious i do have a fulll tank of fuel.

So i have fuel and fuel pressure.
is there a simple way to check for spark?

usually i would just throw the timing gun on a spark plug, but this is no old small block! lol
thanks for the help
Old 10-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Launching!

I am having the same exact problem your describing. It takes anywhere from 10 to 20 tries for it to start. I'm on a speed density tune with no MAF so I know that's not the case for me. I checked for spark and I'm not getting any (until the time it starts up of course). My fuel pressure is good as well. I just pulled all the engine electronic schematics for it today. I won't get a chance to check the sensors until Monday cause I'm at school right now and won't have the tools I need until I go home this weekend. I'm gonna see if I can figure it out and I'll get back to you with any info I may find out.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Teching In

I assume that it is not a crank or cam sensor seeing how it would throw a code for such a thing right?

also i went back and checked the MAF sensor cleaned it up and nothing new. When i do turn the key to the ON position i can hear the fuel pump whin and all the idiot lights shut off except check gauges and Service engine soon ( normal ?) i always thought it lite up like that prior to starting the car. ?

Im not real sure what else to do as of right now other than check for spark.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You seem to have alot of things going on,I'd throw a scanner on it again and see if any codes are stored. Could be an intermittent problem leading to a failed part soon.$.02
Old 10-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Checked it again same thing no codes found
Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

W/39k miles on it i kinda' doubt it would be the voltage regulator.If it won't run now,when theres another person available you might want crank it and pull the easiest plug out and see if its firing.If you have acess to a multi meter and can get the car to run,put it across the battery and check voltage.Should be 12.6 to 13.2V.Tryin' to help ya' here!!.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Ok here is what i have found out so far

i finally got a timing light on the number 3 cyl. just cause it was the easiest to get to. I only used a timing light just to see if i get spark at all.

I did not get any spark, turned the motor over for 10 seconds and got nothing.

So no spark.
NO rich smell of fuel coming out the exhaust.
No codes being thrown.
full fuel tank
good fuel pressure
Clean MAF sensor

is it time to go to a dealer?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Teching In

i know thanks for the input i really do appreicate it!! i just hate not knowing whats going on with the car and having to crank it over and over again.

really though thanks for the help and your time
Old 10-16-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't take it to a dealer.If you have a REPUTABLE shop in your area, maybe take it to them for a diagnosis ONLY.If its something that you can fix, save yourself some cash and fix it. If not get an estimate for the repair.Sorry I couldn't help more.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Launching!

I'd purchase a cheap voltage meter and t-pin the crank and cam sensors to see if there sending any voltage while the car is cranking.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Teching In

I'll try that where is the crank and cam sensor located? its a 01
Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Launching!

The crank sensor should be located on the front (I believe) by the crank pulley, and the Cam is in the back i believe by where the cam would be.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Teching In

thanks ill see what i can find out
Old 10-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default LS1 just began to not start. fuel ? sensors ?

the exact same thing is happening to me!! my car takes forever to start and at other times it will fire right up. It also will fall flat on its face at part throttle acceleration then pick back up. Which makes me think its the fuel pump going out or the fuel pressure regulator line is pinched. Because the fuel pressure is suppose to be between 58-60psi with the key in the on position and 3-10psi lower with the engine idling.

The only other thing I can think of is the relay or a bad connection at the fuel pump
Old 10-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Teching In

so what exactly is the PSI on the fuel line suppose to be? mine reads 50 PSI and if its suppose to be higher to open the injectors wouldnt that keep it from starting?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

with the car and air conditioning off and the key in the on position the gauge should read 58-60psi. with the car running and air off it should read 50-57psi