Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

what to do with evap system

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what to do with evap system

i am going to be installling one of those custom sumped tanks from speedinc. and was wondering what i am going to have to do to remove it. is it a pc problem, and do i need to do anything to the intake? thanks for any help
Old 07-07-2003, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: what to do with evap system

You can remove all that stuff with no serious issues. If you remove the vapor purge solenoid on th eintake, you will get a code, but it can be blocked with LS1 Edit. FWIW, I know of a few cars without all that stuff
Old 07-07-2003, 09:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I completely removed all the EVAP components and sealed off the tank ports for the EVAP.. I then ran a 1/4" hose from one of the tanks EVAP hookups up along the filler neck of my tank just for a vent. I have good venting and never smell fuel but it is hard for me to fill up with gas. Seems like the tank wants to take 5 gallons at a time and then the safety mechanism in the pump goes off. It could be my tanks filler neck valve though.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Keith...I think your vent is supposed to hang lower than the tank. This may be why you are getting issues when filling up. Try plumbing the vent tube to hang down slightly below the tank level and see if this helps.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Todd, I have the normal white blowoff tube that goes down.. my vent actually wraps up around the filler neck than hangs down low about 6 inches from the road. My vent tube is only 1/4" though which might be too small.. BUT the stock EVAP system doesn't vent pressure when you fill it up does it? It's all sealed which is why I think its my filler neck valve.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Well if your tank is venting out the top, you should not have an issue with vapor lock in the tank. Sounds like your vent is obstructed.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Todd, do stock tank vent during normal fill though? I thought they just vent through the filler neck.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

I would think they vent out the top. The 1998 has the tube that bends down in front of the tank into a white plastic vent doohickey. In order for the air to escape, the vent must be on top.

It sounds like your vent is doing the job until the bottom of the hose is submersed, then the air can't escape any longer and the fuel has no way of displacing the air in the tank. I would vent it out the top.