Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump: intank or inline? which would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump: intank or inline? which would you do?

Ok guys,

Maybe you can help me make a decision. I'm going to install a NXL kit when I can, but I'm sure I'll need to upgrade my fuel system. Currently my car is a big H/C car with stage II LS6 heads a healthy cam and all the boltons with 30lb. injectors and I'd like to run a 125 shot or somewhere around there. I was either going to go with an intank pump (maybe the Racetronix if it ever comes out) or install an inline like the Vortech T-Rex.

So if you were me, which one would you do? Which one is easier to install?.... I'm big on the easier installs if that's possible. I don't have a problem cutting a hatch out of the metal above the fuel tank if it's easier to install an intank. TIA for the suggestions!
Old 07-23-2003, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fuel Pump: intank or inline? which would you do?

inline will be eaiser.
but the intank will be the best. i think you should just do the intank will support over 550rwhp.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

How much more trouble is it to do an intank? As I understand it, there isn't a direct drop in intank pump except for the Racetronix that isn't out yet... is that right? Would the inline T-REX along with the stock intank not support 550+RWHP? because that's what I'm going to be looking at 550-600RWHP with a 100/125 shot... I'm already at around 440 NA right now.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

dont think an iline will support what your looking for.
doing a single intank isnt that hard.

just drop the tank then place the new pump inplace of the old.
squeezing two in there is a little tricky.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmm.... I thought I had heard of a few people on here like Poolfanatic that used a T-REX on his 550RWHP H/C nitrous car? Maybe even so that's still pushing it thin, if I decided to go to larger cubes later on I don't want to have to do this again so maybe the intank is best. Isn't it a b*tch to drop the fuel tank though? Wouldn't it just be easier to cut the hatch out of the metal right above it? I've heard several people complain about dropping the tank saying they'll never in their life do that again....
Old 07-25-2003, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

intake.....its quite a bit more work that installing a plug-and-play inline (kit) and it takes time, but it really is the best way to go.....it runs cooler/lasts longer, it flows more, and is quieter....

inline is just a band-aid unless you are actually pulling the intake out, sump the fuel tank (or custom tank), and then putting a BIG inline like the Areomotive 1000HP+ pump...... intake.....its a little work and it takes time, but it really is the best.....it runs cooler/lasts longer, it flows more, and is quieter....
Old 07-28-2003, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would you say it's still quite a bit more work for the intank if one were to consider the new plug n' play intank like the Racetronix set up? Just wondering..... I may do the inline anyway just because I'm looking for something "somewhat" easy right now......
Old 07-28-2003, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

i dont think the drop in racetronix willl be must easier then switching out the pump, its not that hard once you get inside.

I am selling my inline 255lph pump i had, that i dont need any more for $75 with the conectors (i went to a dual intank).
PM me if interested.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think the drop in racetronix willl be must easier then switching out the pump, its not that hard once you get inside.

I am selling my inline 255lph pump i had, that i dont need any more for $75 with the conectors (i went to a dual intank).
PM me if interested.
Would this pump work pretty well along with the stock intank pump? Are you selling it with everything I need to install it or would I need to buy some more stuff?
Old 07-28-2003, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

it "should" support up around 500rwhp (maybe an extra 50hp above stock punp alone) with the stock pump
yes i can include everything needed for it except the wire and relay. ill look to see if i have an extra relay but im not sure.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Smokin Hawk,

Thanks for the offer, but I guess 50 more RWHP probably won't cut it for what I need. It's a great deal though.... I'll have to figure something else out because I need something that will do 550-575 at the wheels..... Guess I'll be looking at some intank setups or more beefy inline's. Thanks for your help though.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

You can get the in-tank system and add a KB BAP or MSD BAP as a PnP option to the RX harness. This will support well over 600RWHP with a single pump running normal pressures with properly sized injectors.

It is still a good idea to re-locate the FPR to the fuel rail.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-29-2003, 05:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

if you want to support your 550-575 rwhp, ANY inline with stock will not be enough. the stock pump will limit your fuel flow.
you have two choices, put a walbro intank, and make sure it gets plenty voltage or go to a sumped tank with a external pump.

THe cheapest way to do it would just buy a walbro $100, and run a wire from the altinator to power it, turning it on with a relay.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can get the in-tank system and add a KB BAP or MSD BAP as a PnP option to the RX harness. This will support well over 600RWHP with a single pump running normal pressures with properly sized injectors.

It is still a good idea to re-locate the FPR to the fuel rail.
When is that plug n' play 99+ intank setup going to be available? Got any ball park figures yet??? I wanna buy sometime soon........
Old 07-29-2003, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you want to support your 550-575 rwhp, ANY inline with stock will not be enough. the stock pump will limit your fuel flow.
you have two choices, put a walbro intank, and make sure it gets plenty voltage or go to a sumped tank with a external pump.

THe cheapest way to do it would just buy a walbro $100, and run a wire from the altinator to power it, turning it on with a relay.
Yeah........ that's the way it's looking alright. I'll probably go the intank route, maybe the Racetronix setup, but perhaps just a Walbro as you suggested.... we'll see how long it takes them to put it out. Thanks for your help. Now all I need is to find a decent write up on the install!