Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Assembling AN fittings

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assembling AN fittings

Does anyone have any tips to do assemble AN fittings? I've done a couple of hoses each time I have messed up the anodized finish on the fittings. I would like to keep the last few I need to finish looking good.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Banned

Aluminum AN Wrenches help. Patience and just being careful is the best you can do. Also an aluminum adapter for your vise if you are using one is a good idea.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a set of wrenches and I just got the adapter for the vise. I didn't use the vise before on the others but I figured I would give it a try this time.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Banned

Even with the wrenches it is hard to not mark them if your not very careful. I just did my fuel system and it was my first time using them. There are some fittings or parts of fittings that I notice do not work with AN wrenches. I was using Trickflow/Russell/Earls/XRP and Summit fittings...lol figured I would use a little of every brand. It was really an issue of what was in stock in black, as I went with everything black including the lines.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I wrap mine w/ elec tape, B4 putting them in the alum jaws...
Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
I wrap mine w/ elec tape, B4 putting them in the alum jaws...
Old 04-14-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just put a folded over paper towel between the fitting and the cresent wrench.

You could also use a coat of wax to protect the finish.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:35 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cutting the SS hose is the key to easy assembly...

On 8 - 16 hose I wrap the hose with fiberglass tape and cut with a 4.5" grinder with a cutoff wheel, I usually go around the hose so the blade rotation is towards the inside of the hose, makes a clean clean edge.

On -3 to 6 hose, I wrap the hose with fiberglass tape and use a mason chisel and cut the hose on a block of aluminum

Cutting the hose and getting a clean edge is the key to easy assembly, if you fight the hose going into the nut its going to be a PITA to assemble.

To assemble:
Use some aluminum jaws and tighten the nut portion, make it tight so it won't move
Start with 1/2 of the hose in the nut and use a small flat edge screw driver to shoehorn the remainder of the SS tube in
Tube should slide all the way in

Remove nut/hose and install AN side
Use some oil on the threads and oil on the inside of the SS hose
Insert and holding the hose and nut run onto AN fitting as far as possible
Once its tight than switch to a AN wrench and tighten remainder which usually is only 2 turns or so.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

I use electical tape and a cutoff wheel on the dremel to cut the SS, clean cuts w/o stray braids makes the assembly alot easier. I also put a light dab of clean oil on the inside of the fitting and the hose end.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

For me the best and easiest way to cut the lines (-6 in my case) was to wrap electrical tape twice around and the 4.5 grinder / cutoff wheel. That provided a really clean cut, and with a bit of oil on the end, got it right on there.

As far as the ends go, i was using a regular wrench and electrical tape around the end, and i messed the finish up, and screwed up a few ends. I dicked up the pressure relief ball, which was causing leaks. After i got some new ends, i used the special -6AN wrench, with some electrical tape around the ends. Using that method and being careful i didn't mess up the finish, or screw end end up.

Good luck!

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a problem cutting the hose or getting the hose in the fitting. It's threading the other part into the hose. Each time I do that part I seem to tear up the finish. I'll try wraping it with electrical tape. I tried some masking tape but it wasn't thick enough to protect it I guess
Old 04-16-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

The electrical tape worked great. I was finally able to get half of the line put together without messing up the finish on the fittings.