Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help with high pitch whine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with high pitch whine noise

I have just developed a high pitch whining sound coming from the rear of the car. I am thinking it is possibly the fuel pump going.

I noticed the last few days when I get ready to start the car and the fuel pump primes it makes more of a clicking type sound instead of the normal priming sound. The whine seems to start when the car warms up a little.

Just hoping you guys can help me determine if I am on the right track or if it might be something else. My car is almost 10 years old with about 95K miles and I am pretty sure I've never replaced the pump. I'm the original owner. I did search but couldn't find a definitive answer. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

While I don't have personal experience yet with having to replace my fuel pump, I have heard from many people that fuel pumps will in fact do what you're describing (whining noise) when they're on their way out. I'd place my bet on the fuel pump.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Sounds like the fuel pump to me too.

You could do it the hard way, drop exhaust, drop tank..etc which could take you a better part of a day of weekend depending on how good you are with tools or have a friend helping.

Or you could go this route which should take about 2 hours tops the first time and much faster any other time you need to get in there. This was our first attempt at it. At the time there were no how to do it or write ups/pics. It was back in 2002 I believe. When we did my friends car a few months later, it was much neater/cleaner and since we knew where to cut we made a smaller diameter cut.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/348183/9
Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. That's interesting going from inside the car.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Yup, your pump is dieing. Go the "trap door" route and you will always have easy access for future fuel pump upgrades. I just did this on my camaro and it wasn't that bad. I used a dremel tool and about 20 cheap cut off wheels. If I ever do it again I will use the reinforced cutoff wheels instead (If you don't, make sure you wear safety glasses since the cheap ones have a tendency to break and fly apart!)

The cut came out clean and you would never know it's there under the carpet. There should have been a door there from the factory.

Quick Reply: Help with high pitch whine noise