Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Had a problem changing my fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Had a problem changing my fuel filter

I just got this car, and I was changing the fuel filter, and i depressurized the system, and made sure it was not pressurized.

After I de pressurized the system and proceeded to change the filter fuel kept pouring out of the line where the fuel filter location is.

Why is it doing it, My whole back was soaked in gasoline by the time I was done, i mean SOAKED.

Whats going on?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:39 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Travis,

I just had the same problem doing a filter swap on my -8an & Magnafuel pump setup, **** was going everywhere.

Its possible that the fuel remaining in the lines just drained out, gas draining always seems like more then it really is.

Good Luck.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

cool...welp....i hope so lol.

BTW installed my corsa today, you SHOULD be jealous, lol.

Sounds great, looks better!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Teching In

gas will stay in the filter. its liek changing your oil, there is still oil in it when you take it out.

When I did mine on my Mustang, there was a little bit of fuel left in the lines and in the filter, but it all worked out just fine.

You could also depressurize the system and try to crank the car to burn the remain gas in the lines. I know in my car theres an inertia switch in the trunk. you unplug it and turn the car on to burn the gas out of the lines then change the filter. I only unplugged it.

hope that helps man
Old 05-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Teching In

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/feature12331.php
Old 05-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Completely normal, and nothing to worry about. Gravity is pulling the fuel towards the lowest point, so whatever is left in the lines is gonna come out right where you are working since that is the lowest point in the whole system.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya I understand that but it kept pouring out for like 5 mins. and the tank was like half full too, so its not a overflow problem.

I have like it seems a chemical burn for laying in a pool of gasoline for like 5 mins, feels like a bad sunburn.

Oh and on the dyno full pressue was at like 50-55 psi before the filter change. I thought It could be a clogged filter, but could it be something else? The fuel pressure wasnt dropping or anything just strady at that psi.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

with what gauge are you measuring it with and how well is it calibrated? typical is 58psi...so you are awfully close... i would assume nothing is wrong
Old 05-28-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Fuel pressure gauge connected directly to fuel rail that belonged to HPE in Houston.

I have a nitrous HALO plate system and one of the lines from the fuel port of the plate are going in to the fuel rail, I disconnected the line and I was untightning it fuel and pressure was spurting out, and I was like "WTF mate" I looked for the shrader valve and there was nothing there....wierd.

Maybe its broken and all the pressure wasnt relieved.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:37 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

If you are running a line from the rails to your nitrous, they would have removed the Schrader valve...you can't have that there and get fuel out of it at the same time. As for your fuel pressure issues...I'm having a similar problem. I'll be running a regulator up front next, and I'll post my results along with data logs from HPT.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

ya let me know how that goes please