Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Manual fuel pump and 5 gallon cell questions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Manual fuel pump and 5 gallon cell questions..

Hey guys,

I started a new project on my car to fit some 30" tires on the rear. What I am thinking about doing is removing my stock gas tank and putting a small 5 gallon in the trunk well.

What I would like to do is put a manual switch inside the car that will turn on an electric fuel pump, just like some older prostreet/drag cars etc, and run new braided fuel lines to the front. I am also going construct a sheet metal enclosure to box/seal off the fuel tank in the rear.

Here are a couple questions I have...

1. What is the liters per hour on a stock fuel pump?

2. Is there any electronics or sensors that is connected to the PCM from the fuel pump?

3. I should be able to get a beefy after market fuel pump and use a pressure regulator before the injectors. As long as the fuel rail is pressurized when I flip the switch for the pump before I start the car everything shoud work like normal? The PCM will control the injector flow rate, so I should have to worry about any tuning unless I change my injectors?

I know the pumps are very noisy, but my car will only be seeing track time or the occasional car show.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention the new fuel pump will be external, non intank etc with the new 5 gal cell.

Thanks,
Lee

Old 08-29-2003, 11:02 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Default Re: Manual fuel pump and 5 gallon cell questions..

I have a switch near my shifter that turns on my external fuel pump.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else done a gas tank relocation and external pump?
Old 09-03-2003, 01:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

https://ls1tech.com/psjpics/griffinpics/griff7.jpg
https://ls1tech.com/psjpics/griffinpics/griff8.jpg

You will need a filter of some sort.

I'd run a bigger cell but I am running a Speed Inc./CAS drag tank I think it holds 13 gallons.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

PSJ, thanks for the pics.

Right now I am looking at buying the following fuel parts:

Holley Blue Max-Pressure Pump
Perfect for ''race'' applications and is pre-set to approximately 14 psi. Flows 70 gph while maintaining 9 psi line pressure. Free-flow capacity is 110 gph. Includes Holley regulator, 510-12-803 and check valve and filter screen. 3/8'' NPT ports.

Aeromotive In-Line Fuel Filter
The advanced flow-through design provides a less than 0.15-PSI pressure drop at a flow rate of 200 gph and designed for 200-1,000 HP applications.

Jaz 5 Gallon Drag Race Vertical Fuel Cell
Tapered sump in rear for better fuel pickup. Foam filled cell also includes 2 #8AN pickup fittings and 1 #6AN vent fitting.

And of course any braided hoses and fitting needed to run and attach to my fuel rail.

I am thinking, wouldn't it be possible to tap into the fuel relay box inthe rear for turning on the external fuel pump? Like when you turn the key forward in the ignition it turns on the internal fuel pump pressurizes the lines. I should be able to tap into that to run the external fuel pump instead of adding a manual switch... Any thoughts?

Lee
Old 09-03-2003, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

You can do that if you want.

We just have it set so I can turn it on manually since there maybe we times when we don't want it running.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the Magnaflow EFI fuel pumps before you purchase that garbage Blue Max you will not be disappointed!

EXAMPLE: You have a 650 hp engine. 650hp x .5 = 325 lbs/hr (gasoline). Although you need to know how much your fuel weighs, assume for this example that it weighs 6.2 lbs/gal. 325 lbs/hr 6.2 = 52.42 gal/hr. Dividing by 60 (minutes per hour) yields .847 gal/ min (GPM).