Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How to keep away from cavitation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008 | 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Default How to keep away from cavitation?

So I had this issue a while ago when my car was running before it blew up. Seems as the fuel pump is cavitating again... fuel pressure drops from mid 5x eventually down to 30psi and failure where I have to shut the car off. It seems it lasts up to 20 to 30 mins from a cold start before it occurs, then I have to shut it off for 10-20 mins to drive it 5 more miles.

Is it related to the undertemp hood heat? Or the high 9x weather at night? Ive got an aeromotive eliminator fuel pump.

Any suggestions on replacement for 900rwhp at the most?

TIA.
Old 08-18-2008 | 02:16 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Those pumps have been known for that so it is why I opted for the twin 255 intank etc... I think JMBLOWNWS6 is having good luck with his Magna pumps and there is always Weldon pumps, but they are lound from what I hear can't speak from experience on that GL.
Old 08-18-2008 | 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is a normal deal with the aeromotive pumps.

Where is it mounted? Cuz it is a push and not a pull pump from what I read. meaning mount it lower than the tank so it doesn't have to pull fuel.

The weldons are super nice. Can be mounted anywhere. Self priming<--still run a aeromotive pump controler. But are loud. I would look into a controler or even mounting the pump inn the tank. so the fuel keeps it cool!?!
Old 08-18-2008 | 08:16 AM
On The Tree

It's not a normal issue with Aeromotive pumps as long as you follow the installation instructions. Here is a check list:

1. 12AN feed line (nothing smaller).
2. Sumped tank with 12AN feed port.
3. 100 Micron fuel filter (part # 12302).
4. Pump mounted lower or level with the bottom of the tank.
5. 1/2" tank vent.
6. Speed pump controller (part # 16302).

Check your setup against this list and let me know what you have.
Old 08-18-2008 | 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had 2 -10an to a aeromotive Y then -12an filter to pump and another filter after that I want to say 100micron and 10micron. sumped tank CAS (nasty) pump mounted about levelat the in port and lower on the out. Tank vent? no idea the size. Pump controler no.

I think with the controler it would be fine. but easyer to srcap it and build it better.

If i was doing it again I would have cut the top off the aluminum tank and mounted the pump at the bottom. I think it can be ran that way i have seen it before.
Old 08-18-2008 | 09:55 AM
7 Second Club
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Magnafuel 4301.
Old 08-18-2008 | 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Make sure you have the 100micron before the pump. If you have it the other way around it will cause more than just cavitation (pump damage). The Aeromotive Y-block you have is two 8AN ports to a single 10AN. So you still have a single 10AN feeding the pump even though you have 12AN line. In order to drive the 11104 on the street it needs a 16302 speed pump controller. The Magnafuel pump is a good pump is only rated for 1500 N/A HP while the 11104 is rated for 1900 N/A HP. The pump will work as long as you follow the instructions. It's not that hard guys.
Old 08-18-2008 | 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
This is a normal deal with the aeromotive pumps.

Where is it mounted? Cuz it is a push and not a pull pump from what I read. meaning mount it lower than the tank so it doesn't have to pull fuel.

The weldons are super nice. Can be mounted anywhere. Self priming<--still run a aeromotive pump controler. But are loud. I would look into a controler or even mounting the pump inn the tank. so the fuel keeps it cool!?!
its mounted on the back chassis a lil below where the sump tank sits... its prob at a 45 degree angle.

I had it working a while ago when the car was last up and running... aeromotive said they had to adjust something within the unit so it would work properly and it worked out fine. Now its back to its old ways again...

Does anyone know if the magna fuel 4301 pump is a direct swap with what Im running now? and would I need to do anything else to get it to work right or just swap em out if I went that direction?

Quick Reply: How to keep away from cavitation?