Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Are my stock injectors dying?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my stock injectors dying?

OK, long story short... my 383 LS1 with a mild cam, all the bolt ons, blah blah blah, is having a serious issue. It's idling very rough, between 500 and 1200rpm. It drives fine, but every time I come to a stop it starts idling bad enough that it eventually stalls out on me. I just had the new motor tuned after the Walbro 255 fuel pump was installed, and the dyno showed an even air/fuel ratio all the way across the rpm band. NO matter what I can't figure out why the car is stumbling. Could my injectors be maxed out (since I'm still running the stock ones)? Or am I looking at something more, like a vaccuum leak or something? Crazy part is that it has been doing this since I had the original motor in the car. No one can seem to find the problem. ANy ideas on what it could be or where I could start looking? THanks for the help.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:50 PM
FormerVendor

could be vacuum, could be injectors.

I recommend ohm testing them and see what they look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g8PdrT0MCU
Old 09-17-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"NO matter what I can't figure out why the car is stumbling. Could my injectors be maxed out".
I doubt the injs are "maxed out" at an idle.
Any data logs made?
What tuning suite was used to tune the engine? maybe post the tune w/ the logs, and someone can take a look.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IAC not set properly?
Base timing not correct?
Vacuum leak?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Just a little more info on my problems.... before the Walbro 255 was installed my injectors were reading 121% at 4300rpm. My tuner claimed that was why the engine was pinging and pre-detonating like crazy. Well, here we are, 3 months later, and it's doing it again. It doesn't ping at all unless I'm in 4th gear and accelerate any more than half throttle. It feels like it's lost power at that speed also. I'm just not sure if it's fueling issue or a spark issue, or a vaccuum issue anymore. And of course, every time I have someone look at it they tell me it's fine. I don't even know where to start.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:10 AM
FormerVendor

anything over an 80% duty is asking for trouble.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb Maybe..

Originally Posted by 382WS6
Just a little more info on my problems.... before the Walbro 255 was installed my injectors were reading 121% at 4300rpm. My tuner claimed that was why the engine was pinging and pre-detonating like crazy. Well, here we are, 3 months later, and it's doing it again. It doesn't ping at all unless I'm in 4th gear and accelerate any more than half throttle. It feels like it's lost power at that speed also. I'm just not sure if it's fueling issue or a spark issue, or a vaccuum issue anymore. And of course, every time I have someone look at it they tell me it's fine. I don't even know where to start.
start the diagnosis process by getting answers to the questions already asked.
1. The dc of 121% is only a calculated value, and not reality.
2.If you don't know what the fuel pressure is, you are wasting your time trying to guess as to the source of the problem. If the problem was cured by the install of the new Walbro, there's a good chance you got 1 of thier faulty pumps. There's ALOT of info floating around about internal failures of these pumps. Suggest you take a look.
www.turbobuicks.com
www.turbobuick.com
And here, in this forum