Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" truetrac poping on tight turns

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im @ a little over 600rwhp, 12 bolt, m6, 4.30 gears with the true trac, epp put it together for me, have gone wheels up and am pushing into the 9s and I haven't had any problems as of yet
Old 12-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Phynix
im @ a little over 600rwhp, 12 bolt, m6, 4.30 gears with the true trac, epp put it together for me, have gone wheels up and am pushing into the 9s and I haven't had any problems as of yet
Thats nice but hope you dont have any wheel hop or you will end up like us. I had plenty of hard launches on mine but the first time I had some wheel hop this happened.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

i had a 31 spline with the truetrack, all i did was buy the full spool "steel" from stange and my axles went right in.

rain...i wouldent worry at all.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

no wheel hop for me, the shop that set up my backlash, still has the truetrack, i still havent gotten a chance to take a look at what broke
Old 12-23-2008, 04:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My truetrac is still working great behind 4000lb pig with over 900rwhp,however i am still considering going to a spool with some bigger splined axles
Old 12-23-2008, 05:51 AM
TECH Resident

These thing brake when you floor it in turns f.ex drifting and sliding,if you do it in a straight line they are good

You are only loading one side of the true trac snails really so no wonder you can brake it

Last edited by Ari G; 12-23-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mines been popping for a while on normal right turns only. doesnt do it when I turn left. Im gonna run the **** till it breaks. After that I dont know. spool or detroit locker.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

I installed an auburn carbon disc diff in my 04 gmc 1/2 ton all stock and it pings and clunks around every corner unless you are hard on the gas. Sounds like same outcome with totally different diffs.
NOT SURE?
Old 12-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Wow and I thought that I was being picky with my rear end
I just installed my brand new Moser 12 bolt with 33 spline axles, 3:73 gears and a Truetrac..
And this thing howls, grinds, clunks at every speed, Rpm while accelerating and decelerating...
Everything from the brakes, driveshaft and ect has been checked it is definitely coming from the ring/pinion and differential and I did the break in procedure 4 times I ran it less than 10 miles then allowed it to cool an hour then repeated and my rear end hasnt even been raced yet...

My friends have track cars with 9 inch rears that have spools and competition gears that Make a hell of alot less noise than mine..
Everyone is also telling me that my rear is the most noisey 12 bolt they have ever heard..
I am waiting to call Texas=speed and Moser tomorrow because it feels like something is definitely up with this rear end..
And for the money that I spent on this rear end I am in no way impressed with quality of it..
Old 12-30-2008, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the problem I was having with my 10 bolt after swapping in 3.73s and forgetting the limited slip additive????
Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

The Truetrac doesnt require a limited slip additive..
Old 01-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Launching!

I did the entire suspension, and no I didn't have wheel hop, bmr extreme ta, boxed sfc, roded end ph, wolfe sb, and race only lca w/ relocation brackets. Personally if you have wheel hop you can't blame anything but yourself if something breaks in the rear, even a the strongest of rear ends will break with enough wheel hop, You need to set the car up so you don't have that problem.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:03 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I literally destroyed a Torsen T2R launching hard at the track. Helical carriers are just no good for hi HP hard launch clutch drop use. I researched the hell out of the TrueTrac last year and didnt find many failures at all since they went to the new 3 pinion design and i even bought one but never had time to install it in my car so I sold it to a buddy with a slower ride and now I'm seeing posts of TrueTrac failures pop up fairly often. That said I drove his car and loved the way the TrueTrac functioned and the Torsen in my car prior to grenading was also an AMAZING unit I loved the way it worked

BUT

Just not tough enough so now I'm back to the old tried and true and extremely TOUGH Ford Trac Loc.

FWIW when these units ( truetrac, torsen ) start making that popping sound when turning the days are numbered this is the tell so dont race or drive anywhere without knowing that you might need a tow home.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does the Truetrac create "resistance". I have seen the gears and all and cant figure it out?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its broken, btw, you could attempt a fluid flush to see, I have dusted 2 of these, if anyone wants to buy them, I sell it to them cheap! they are like 650 brand new, on a Moser 12 bolt.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Helical carriers dont create resistance thats the big advantage and why the road race crowd was ( before they started wearing out...) as I was saying WAS in love with them. They work just like an open carrier ( non posi ) until one wheel begins to spin which redirects power to the wheel with more traction. This is determined by a bias ratio that is designed into each specific unit.

In the case of Torsen units IIRC a stock application for a standard rear drive torsen the bias ratio is about 2:1 where the T2R is about 4:1

The concpet and technology behind them is brilliant and the function of them when they work is the best I have ever personally experienced its just a shame they dont seem to last all that well under racing conditions.

There is another type out there known as Black Gold that is a pretty serious looking piece although I nor anyone I personally know has ever run one.

If I wasn't so busy I'd design and build a helical unit out of better materials and charge whatever it needed but make sure it was the toughest thing possible. The Mark Williams approach to helical carriers if you will. Someone should do this...

Mark you reading any of this? LOL
Old 01-13-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Let me ask the question another way.

FTR I have a 9" Truetrac.
If I lift the rear wheels off the ground and with the tranny in 1st (T56), I can barely turn one rear wheel which will turn the opposite wheel in the other direction. It takes all the strength I have to do this but it will turn but has a lot of "resistance". How is this "resistance" created in the Trurtrac, what makes it so hard to turn compared to an open diff.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

The little gears inside are tight and thats what makes it hard to spin. You think thats bad? Try and spin one wheel on a clutch type carrier or a T2R with the other on the ground its damn near impossible unless you use a huge breaker bar. If the load is insufficient then these units ( truetrac, torsen etc. ) they operate pretty much free as if there were no coupling action.

If those little gears inside spin one side of the truetrac too fast then they send power to the other side which couples them.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

That helps. I could spin the Auburn in the 10 bolt a little as well. But the Truetrac is much harder.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

The bigger the diff the bigger the internals the more bite your going to get. That said a 10 bolt Auburn when brand new should be very very hard to spin with the one wheel up method. The major downside to clutch type carriers is they wear out and dont really offer any resistance after a while. The Ford Trac Loc I am now praising is tough and all but the clutches inside the damn thing wear out every season or two and have to be replaced pretty often to keep any two wheel spinning action. One of the selling features of the truetrac and Torsen diffs are that there is no clutches or cones to wear out and they dont drag the inside wheel around corners which again is another huge reason the road course guys went GAGA for them. Sadly though for whatever reason or another they still wear out. I couldnt spin my Torsen at all with the wheel up test and it was almost spool'esque on the street the thing bit harder than a rattle snake woken from a nap... until it went boom that is

Quick Reply: 9" truetrac poping on tight turns