Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

finally a bolt-in set-up for a 8.8 for us??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have just got an 8.8 from a 90'ish stang and will be putting it in my 93 z as soon as i get the motor back in. (waithing on the k-member and th400 tranny mount from paracing) ill post pics as i start and how we go about doing the torque arm problem. the one from maxim motorsport looks like it could be made to work on the fbody with a little work
Old 12-06-2008, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Dont be surprised if in the near future someone comes up with a strong alternative to a 3 grand rear. I be there will be a cost efficient fabricator to come up with something simular to the 8.8 for our cars.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RyanM02
Dont be surprised if in the near future someone comes up with a strong alternative to a 3 grand rear. I be there will be a cost efficient fabricator to come up with something simular to the 8.8 for our cars.
There was one here a long time ago. I think he was banned from posting about it. He was selling a few IIRC. They looked kind of rough because he cut the axle tubes with brackets off an f-body rear, found out they slip fit right inside an 8.8
They looked like an accident waiting to happen.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by All Black SS
So thats a factory part?
Yup, it was factory, the GNX's had a torque arm suspension instead of the standard Regal setup.

I'm not saying to exactly use the GNX covers, for one, we would need the torque arm on the other side of the diff, but rather someone fab maybe a steel cover with a similar design to use on our cars, using either a 8.5 GM or 8.8" Ford rear. IIRC, the torque arm was the biggest issue with making an 8.8" work.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

There was one here a long time ago. I think he was banned from posting about it. He was selling a few IIRC. They looked kind of rough because he cut the axle tubes with brackets off an f-body rear, found out they slip fit right inside an 8.8
They looked like an accident waiting to happen.
I believe the problem with his design was not the axle tubes, because as you said, they do fit the 8.8", as well as the 28 spline axles I believe, rather his rears he fabbed/welded his own torque arm mount onto the iron center, poorly designed and welded I believe, and people were breaking them way to easily and often. So making a diff cover with incorporated custom torque arm mount, I think, would work well if designed properly.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kgkern01
I believe the problem with his design was not the axle tubes, because as you said, they do fit the 8.8", as well as the 28 spline axles I believe, rather his rears he fabbed/welded his own torque arm mount onto the iron center, poorly designed and welded I believe, and people were breaking them way to easily and often. So making a diff cover with incorporated custom torque arm mount, I think, would work well if designed properly.
It wasn't before 2004 because thats when I first signed up here.
But this guy I speak of was making a steel piece that fit between the cover and housing, then went up to the side so a stock t/a could bolt on. I like the idea of a cheap rear swap now, but I didn't back then so my memory is very foggy on his set up.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

But this guy I speak of was making a steel piece that fit between the cover and housing, then went up to the side so a stock t/a could bolt on. I like the idea of a cheap rear swap now, but I didn't back then so my memory is very foggy on his set up.
You may be correct on that setup, which could work, as long as it is build stout enough. His design, as I recall allowed too much flex and was pretty weakly built. If built solid enough, it could work.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:33 AM
TECH Addict

Ask Studytime, he has built a few 8.8's.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Was linked this thread by a fellow member.

In the coming months BEFORE spring time there will be a BOLT IN 8.8 available for Fbody's. I don't know the rule on this site concerning vendor solicitation so I'll just say that keep watching for announcements. This will be a BOLT IN 8.8 rear for those that want a cheaper alternative to the 9inch, 12bolt and S60's out there. Axle tubes look factory and the T/A mount is gonna be stout enough for real power.

There will be several options for diffs, spline count and axles.

Pricing starts considerably cheaper than even a base 9 inch or 12bolt.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any thing ever come of this 8.8 rear????
Old 02-11-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

Don't take this as negative to the proposed suppliers or buyers but my advice: have some patience and don't start flaming or talking negatively if there isn't an update in a couple of weeks...or months. Like the 8.6 axle, it may happen or it may not. Lots of factors involved in an aftermarket venture like this. The market is there if anyone manages to financially survive the development phase, testing phase, and have the capacity to build them in sufficient quantities. Don't plan you life around it or sit around waiting holding your breath. Support those trying it but you must understand few if any of us are independently wealthy enough to put our entire life/business on hold to commit our entire existence to a business venture like this. It is, at best, a side venture of an existing business.