Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ABS Inop and Low Trac after 4 Channel 9" Moser Swap - where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS Inop and Low Trac after 4 Channel 9" Moser Swap - where to start?

All,

I bought a Moser 9 inch that was in a '99. It had the 4 channel set up on it. I have a 95 with the 4 channel system. I figured straight bolt in

I installed it, and everything seemed to go relatively well........

The only thing that was different was the wiring harness on the rear itself - the connector on the car side was different - i swapped the one from the 95 onto the 99, wheel sensor plugs matched.

Now, when I drive the car, I get erroneous low trac errors when i apply the brakes - i can feel the abs grabbing and releasing the brakes - then, after driving it for awhile it will set the ABS INOP error and the traction control and ABS brakes will not work.

Any suggestions on the best way to troubleshoot this issue?

Shouldn't this swap be a bolt in?

Could I have a bad ABS sensor?

Where should I start? What would you do?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:09 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd look into it being a bad sensor as the problem, everything should work. Bob
Old 01-24-2009, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i have the same issue with my car but i still have my stock rear...i also think it is a sensor but im not sure yet
Old 01-24-2009, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

The 93-97 4 channel rears use a 53 tooth ABS reluctor ring. The 98-02 4 channel rears use a 47 tooth ABS reluctor ring. Did you use the original rings from your 95?
Old 01-24-2009, 07:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are correct sir, the reluctor rings have a different tooth count. If you didn't change them, that is the problem. Also, the bearings need to be spaced an 1/8" to have proper rear brake alignment on an LT1

Shane
Old 01-26-2009, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

crap - the reluctor ring tooth difference must be the problem - not what i wanted to find out - oh well - time to pull them apart and swap them out.

What exactly is involved in swapping these reluctor rings?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

take it to a machine shop, normally you could do it yourself but the bearings will have to come off to get everything off the axles
Old 01-26-2009, 11:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a cut-off wheel to cut the bearings then a chisel to knock them off. Takes only a few minutes once you figure out how deep you can go before hitting the axle. You might want to give me a call before attempting this. I can better explain over the phone.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 03-14-2009, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

I called moser, explained my issue, and they sent me 93-97 53 tooth rings for the axles.

I had the machine shop install and I went to put the axles on today - no workey....

The 93-97 rings are a larger diameter - no way to get the backing plate bolts on!!

So, I am screwed.............

My choices are:
1. Remove the rings completely, disconnect the 4 channel sensors, and run with the ABS INOP and TRAC lights constantly on.....(not my favorite option)

2. Put the 98-02 rings that came with the rear end back on - but will still get the errors

3. Find someone (have no idea who..) to make me a set of 53 tooth reluctor rings with the smaller outer diameter - so they will fit on the rear end and send the right signal to the computer.

4. ??????

Please help with info or ideas. I still wonder if there is some way to get the computer to behave with the 47 tooth rings. I wonder if one of the sensors was bad and maybe the 47 tooth rings were ok all along. When I took the axles out I did find some damage to one of the sensors. My understanding is that the computer simply looks for a pulse difference from one side to the other - not some count of 53 tooth rings - but maybe I am missing something.

Has anyone swapped a 98-02 4 channel into a 93-97 4 channel car successfully without getting ABS INOP and LOW TRAC errors???