Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" messed up

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser 9" messed up

well i had my 9" installed thursday with 4.11's detroit lockers and 35 spline with all new rear end suspension (everything is adj on all suspension)...
i keep hearing a clunking noise when i put it into gear (and when i shift from any gear to anyother0 ... and at about 70 when i let off the gas i kinda got a clunk and a small wine... and i keep getting a horrible vibration at all speeds..
now heres the kicker dunno what you guys think but let me know.. the old man and i got under there and started pissing around with it...
my torque arm on the top adjustable is as tight as you can get it to the mount... on my lower control arms none of my bolts that are adj it where tight... when i grabed ahold of the drive shaft it moves damn near an inch if not more with the e brake pulled and it in nutral (now would that be a problem i would have to send the third member back to moser for?)... and on the control arms should i be able to grab ahold of them and twist them when there bolted in place? i just got off the phone with my buddy that put everything in and he is going to take good care of me and fix the loose stuff and is takeing 100% of the blame for that now im just worried about the noise's...
thanks, josh
Old 02-22-2009, 07:23 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The locker will seem like it has a lot of backlash, that is normal with it. Lockers do exhibit a lot of clunking which is normal with them, and a little bit of whine is normal with aftermarket gear sets.
You should have no vibrations though, I would first check the pinion angle.
Setting the pinion angle can be found at this BMR link.
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/INSTALL/XTA001.pdf Bob
Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, clunking, clicking, popping and lurching to one side are normal for a locker. Vibration is not so normal but of course you have to get the loose parts bolted up right and the pinion angle set properly. And, if you have a locker then you need the limited slip additive in the gear oil.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Teching In

i understand the noise from the locker 100%.. i just cant explain it i got three buddies of mine that have the same rear end.. same everythhing just 4.33's not 4.11's... and there backlash is no where near mine... when they put it in gear every once in a while you get a clunk but not anywhere near the loudness or anything as mine is... and none of them have the clunking whinning type noise when you let off the gas that i do...
its just freaking me out.... cause i ride in there cars or drive them alot so im use to the locker but i got in mine and its just plain old violent... nothing like any of theres...
Old 02-22-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the only one I have driven was mine, and it was horrible like you are describing. It's a long story but basically I bought it used and it was supposed to have a Truetrac in there but had a Locker and I believe this was done by mistake. I got it swapped out to a Truetrac and everything is good but I suspect that the reason it was so bad before is because it did not have the required LSD additive for the Locker. Does your rear end have the LSD additive?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Teching In

yeah made sure of that.. haha everyone was telling me it was a must... but dunno i drive it around more and more here or there never very long a few miles here or there and got everything tightined up after i take it out bout everytime... and its really not as bad anymore.. still violent but i guess everything just needed to settle in and get a good break in for a little...
Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Are you sure the drive shaft is long enough?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Teching In

yeah... took the one out of my buddy's car and took it down to the local shop...
went down and had them re balance it again too.... im starting to get things worked out... few small things i havent noticed till i put it up on the left everytime.. like torque arm bracket hitting the floor and things like that... some of them giveing me alot of relief.. thanks for everyone's ideas and help and ill keep looking and checking into them...
Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by hdsportster
yeah... took the one out of my buddy's car and took it down to the local shop...
went down and had them re balance it again too.... im starting to get things worked out... few small things i havent noticed till i put it up on the left everytime.. like torque arm bracket hitting the floor and things like that... some of them giveing me alot of relief.. thanks for everyone's ideas and help and ill keep looking and checking into them...
Take a pry bar and wedge it between the torque arm bracket and the floor and gently tweak the sheetmetal away from the bracket. It is easy to do and only takes a few minutes and won't be noticeable. Bob