Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4 point wheel alignment after rear end exchange?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 point wheel alignment after rear end exchange?

I ordered a fabbed 9" the other day, then I realized I've not seen this tire alignment issue pop up in the gear /axle forum - Does everyone get a realignment after swapping rear ends, say the ten bolt for a fabbed ford 9" (with Adj panhard bar, adj LCA's, and adj T/A)??

Old 03-25-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think its best to go to a chassis shop to have it all aligned. If possible find a hot rod shop to set it up. I had the same question and I doubt sears or NTB would do it right.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

I imagine it wouldn't be a bad idea. These housings are made on a jig and everything is quite precisely positioned. If you take the time to make sure you get the adjustable lcas the same length it would be a rather safe guess that you are still going to be tracking straight and true.

If a person hadn't had an alignment done in a while that at least checked the thrust (is that correct? It's been a while) alignment. The only way to know for sure if the rear axle was the culprit would be to do a 4 wheel alignment before and after the axle/suspension install. I'm planning to get a 4 wheel done to make sure...gimme a few weeks to give ya an answer unless someone already there chimes in.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

any " good" align teck with good equipment (I like HUNTER EQUIP. as it was the brand I retired on after over 30 years only doing align. )
I like to run the rear thrust line at or about + 0.003 to + 0.006
this works for my car most cars run OE about -0.010 to - 0.015 if rear walks to left ( as most do) go from - to + just have to try differant setting to find the sweet spot( I would start at 0.000 or a litte more +

good luck , Johnny

ps: you will need adj LCA to adj rear thrust line