Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Welding spider gears with Torsen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welding spider gears with Torsen?

Is there anyway to weld the spider gears with a Torsen differential? Tired of the car only spinning one tire during a burnout. It also started howling during the burnout today, so I'm not sure how much longer the posi will hold up. Thanks for any help!
Old 10-26-2003, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to apply more power (or use less sticky tires). A Torsen will transfer power from the wheel without traction to the wheel with traction. The torsen will allow the right rear to spin up somewhat before it transfers power to the other side. It appears that you are not able to overcome the traction of both tires so it only spins one wheel. Are you running some type of sticky tire? (I'm guessing so).

My thoughts....
Old 10-26-2003, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trackbird
You need to apply more power (or use less sticky tires). A Torsen will transfer power from the wheel without traction to the wheel with traction. The torsen will allow the right rear to spin up somewhat before it transfers power to the other side. It appears that you are not able to overcome the traction of both tires so it only spins one wheel. Are you running some type of sticky tire? (I'm guessing so).

My thoughts....

Running 26x9" Hoosiers, applying the line lock, putting car in 2nd, and nailing it. It is a hit or miss thing, 1/4 of the time it will spin both, the rest of the time it only spins one tire. As soon as I launch, I spin hard and the car jerks hard to one side or the other, depending on which tire got hot.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't weld the gears. You're just asking for trouble. (Yes, I've done this on vehicles past and I've know of many people that have done it. It rarely works out for very long in cars that are raced.)
Old 10-26-2003, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Is there another differential for the 10-bolt that works better then the Torsen?
Old 10-26-2003, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quickWS6
Is there another differential for the 10-bolt that works better then the Torsen?
Eaton makes strong differentials.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Are you doing your burn outs in water? If so make sure you get enough water on the tires. Slicks aren't like a street tire its best to get them wet so you can get some speed on em to heat em up.

Josh S.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:31 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Default Rear end

Try a spool it is not great for dailly driving but both will spin with out jerking and it is fairly inexpensive. Just another option?
Old 10-26-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Show me a spool for our 10-bolt and I'll get it.

I think I get enough water on the tires, I don't do the burnout in the water box, just turn them over some in it, then roll forward and do the burnout.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:00 PM
9 Second Club

Angry

Just got through replacing the Torsen after welding the spider gears. It lasted about a week before it broke. No racing just about 150 miles of strret driving. There's not enough room to get a good weld with the Torsen spider gears because of the way the carrier is built. Also Summit has a mini spool for the 7.5 10 bolt, however no one makes one for a posi or Torsen carrier, that i know of, it has to be an open carrier. If you go wtith a mini spool, I would suggest c-clip eliminators.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crb99ws6
Just got through replacing the Torsen after welding the spider gears. It lasted about a week before it broke. No racing just about 150 miles of strret driving. There's not enough room to get a good weld with the Torsen spider gears because of the way the carrier is built. Also Summit has a mini spool for the 7.5 10 bolt, however no one makes one for a posi or Torsen carrier, that i know of, it has to be an open carrier. If you go wtith a mini spool, I would suggest c-clip eliminators.
The mini spool is for a 7.5" w/ 26-spline axles AFAIK. Isn't ours actually a 7.625" with 28-spline axles?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info on how yours held up though, looks like I won't be doing this. Can't decide if I want to go with an Eaton or save up for a 12-bolt.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:14 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Default Spool

Call summit Just because it is not listed does not mean that they do not make one or sell it. I have a few friends that run them in 10 bolts and it is great for the strip. I do not know about the stock axles and the spool combo you can just take a few minutes and call? Good luck!
Old 10-27-2003, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Call summit Just because it is not listed does not mean that they do not make one or sell it. I have a few friends that run them in 10 bolts and it is great for the strip. I do not know about the stock axles and the spool combo you can just take a few minutes and call? Good luck!

Will do! Thanks, I have they do make one.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Called Summit, they don't carry them. Could you find out what kind of spools your friends are running? These are in newer F-bodies, right? They don't offer any minispools or spool to fit anything other then 26-spline axles or a bigger 10-bolt.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:12 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Default spool

I know one was in an F-body the others are race cars of different types ETC... I will try to call my friend with the F-body and ask him about his setup. I think he is running strange axles also though. I'll try to find out quickly for you so you don't waste to much time researching something that won't work or is not cost effective.

Quick Reply: Welding spider gears with Torsen?