Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What usually happens when a Torsen rear blows?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003 | 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Default What usually happens when a Torsen rear blows?

What usually happens when a Torsen posi breaks? I've read where some guys blew there posi and it actually blew a hole in the rear cover and destroyed the rear. Then I read somewhere that if the Torsen goes, you can still drive around, just no posi, because there are no clutches. Which is true? Also, what is usually first to go in a rear that is behind an auto?
Old 10-27-2003 | 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car had a torsen in it, and I broke it pulling into a BBQ place's parking lot during lunch one day. It had the stock gear in it, and an aluminum TA cover. It blew 1 of the 4 bolts that holds the torsen together right out of the center of the TA cover, and one of the other bolts got wedged in-between the ring gear and the housing which left me stranded and rendered the car unmoveable, and a big mess on the ground! When a Torsen goes it goes!

I've since got an 8.8" in my car and it has a Trac-Loc(posi with clutches) and it works great!
Old 10-30-2003 | 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Thats pretty much what happened to my torsen.. I was on the street and after acceling out of a turn, did a quick 1-2 shift and hear BOOM! and felt the rear sezieing up and nasty crunching noises

I blew 2 of the bolts heads off that holds the torsen together. They were seriously chewed up from bouncing around inside and got stuck between the ring and the housing, putting a nasty crack and gouge on the housing, distorting it... Luckly, i was able to slow and stop the car over to the side of road, and then get it towed to the shop and even limp it into the service bay. Had a replacement 10 bolt throw in now with a T2R diff(stronger design, higher bias ratio, preloaded so never peglgs), which I absolutely love.

Originally Posted by m1key99WS6
My car had a torsen in it, and I broke it pulling into a BBQ place's parking lot during lunch one day. It had the stock gear in it, and an aluminum TA cover. It blew 1 of the 4 bolts that holds the torsen together right out of the center of the TA cover, and one of the other bolts got wedged in-between the ring gear and the housing which left me stranded and rendered the car unmoveable, and a big mess on the ground! When a Torsen goes it goes!

I've since got an 8.8" in my car and it has a Trac-Loc(posi with clutches) and it works great!