Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10bolt howl/whine? please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10bolt howl/whine? please help

After a "fun" night out on the road (all highway), a new sound has suddenly appeared. At certain times (most apparent around 40-45mph, 55mph) there is some sort of howling/whistling sound which I believe is coming from the rear end. I can also hear it if I stick my head near the shifter, but I believe its the rear. Also, the sound only sounds while on the throttle. As soon as you lift your foot off the throttle the sound disappears.

What could this be/what would the cost be?

If I try replacing the differential oil(don't think its ever been switched), would it help? and what items/what should I look for while the rear is open?
Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found object near the universals of my driveshaft(pic included)

I found this piece of metal hanging behind my universal joints on my driveshaft. I've had gear noise issues since my motive 4.10's have been installed. I have a loud whine from 35-75mph. This piece of metal was at the rear end of the driveshaft. I can't seem to figure out what it belongs too? Any suggestions? Could it be related to the loud gear noise?
Attached Thumbnails 10bolt howl/whine? please help-metal.jpg  
Old 04-27-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

your ten bolt sounds like its on its way out. go easy on it and it will probably last you a while longer till you figure your options out. i would try to find a rebuild kit and replace all the bearings inside of it when you can, especially if the sound gets worse.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I have this problem too. I'm gonna try and save for a 12 bolt/9 inch
Old 04-28-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transfan0186
I found this piece of metal hanging behind my universal joints on my driveshaft. I've had gear noise issues since my motive 4.10's have been installed. I have a loud whine from 35-75mph. This piece of metal was at the rear end of the driveshaft. I can't seem to figure out what it belongs too? Any suggestions? Could it be related to the loud gear noise?

looks like the u-joint cap strap. its for assembly from the factory so the caps dont fall off. no worries.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, any other responses?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Teching In

mine makes a whinning noise, but it sounds like it's from the transmission, it only does it in 3rd and 4th gear.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine did the same thing, howled and vibrated like a bitch, go under and retorque the pinion bolt and make sure to put lots of red locktite on it they like to back off. Just did this to mine last night and its totally silent even with 4.56 GM gears in it but I also replaced all the bearings as well.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Aetos
After a "fun" night out on the road (all highway), a new sound has suddenly appeared. At certain times (most apparent around 40-45mph, 55mph) there is some sort of howling/whistling sound which I believe is coming from the rear end. I can also hear it if I stick my head near the shifter, but I believe its the rear. Also, the sound only sounds while on the throttle. As soon as you lift your foot off the throttle the sound disappears.

What could this be/what would the cost be?

If I try replacing the differential oil(don't think its ever been switched), would it help? and what items/what should I look for while the rear is open?
Mine made that sound right before it shelled out completely. lol If you decide to open it, look for metal shavings, excess play in the gears, etc.. You have enough play in the gear to pinion that when you take your foot off the throttle, the ring gear probably disengages the pinion gear. Ergo, the noise disappears. ..but it will shell out soon.
To fix it right, the cost will be a Strange Engineering 12 bolt or Dana 60. Sucks that GM didn't have the forsight to install a rear end up to the task of a platform that they KNOW people ain't gonna leave stock from the get go.

Quick Reply: 10bolt howl/whine? please help