Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

QP 9" Rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QP 9" Rant

Rant On

So took this past thursday off (I get every other friday off) to put the new rear end in the car (98 trans am). Bought everything from QP except the differential.

The good:

The new BMR lower control arms fit in the housing great
The setup doesn't seem to have any leaks
It seems to be working now

The bad:

The shock mounting holes were too small
The Yukon aluminum center section was very hard to fit over the housing studs
The panhard bar didn't fit in the housing mount
The emergency brake brackets didn't fit on the housing
The setup didn't come with any hardware for the brake backing plates, I had to grind down nuts to get them to work
The torque arm mount didn't work with the BMR torque arm, had to grind
The torque arm mount hit my drive shaft, had to grind more

Pretty much anything that could of went wrong did, I was not impressed at all my QP's 9" kit for the car.

The car seems to be running very good, I have already about 180 miles on the setup, little howling at highway speeds but you really have to mute the music to even hear it and its not even bad then.

Haven't gotten on it yet but you can tell that going from the 3.42s to 4.11s is going to be a nice jump. I didn't have time to make sure my pinion angle is on, which I believe it is partly because if it isn't the amount of work to get right is going to be great.

I meant to see how much the new setup weighed, but didn't get a chance, it looks beefy as hell though.

The one thing QP didn't send in the kit that really pissed me off was some sort of string or rope to hang myself after trying to get their **** in my car.

Rant Off
Old 05-09-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Quick Performance?
Old 05-09-2009, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Yes and now the rear end must of adjusted itself cause its not quiet anymore...
Old 05-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Banned

Get used to the howling at highway speeds especially if you have or go to a tunnel mount tq arm.You will love how it feels with the 4.11s im thinking about going even higher like a 4.30 or 4.5x next time
Old 05-09-2009, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues man. Some of those things you mentioned seem worthy like the torque arm not fitting, some of the other things maybe not so much lol...

I had a few minor things with mine also, but hardly worth ranting about IMO lol.... I had to drill out a larger hole on the panhard rod, took a whopping 5 minutes. I also had to drill some mounting holes for the brake line mount, again, a 5 minute job and hardly worth mentioning. My studs didn't line up perfectly with the center section either, again, 5-10 minutes with a nut on the studs and hammer tweaking them into place and all is good.

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 97Z M6; 05-12-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

It was just that every single part that needed to be put on had to be modified. I had to do some serious grinding on their torque arm mount. I wasn't expecting it to be direct bolt in but every part is a little crazy
Old 05-09-2009, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettett15
It was just that every single part that needed to be put on had to be modified. I had to do some serious grinding on their torque arm mount. I wasn't expecting it to be direct bolt in but every part is a little crazy
Ya, I understand. I guess I bought mine with the mindset that I would need to do a certain amount of modifying/fitting. I think the first time you take your car to a track, you'll appreciate the efforts spent where it counts on this housing.

Other than the issues I mentioned above, I didn't have a single complaint with mine. It's quiet, doesn't clunk, rattle or shake. Gears whine a tad on decel but I set them up, so that's my own issue and has nothing to do with QP. Plus my gears were used, so I expected a certain amount of noise out of them. Now if I could just work through my clutch and tuning issues I'd be set...... lol.

Mike
Old 05-10-2009, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

What RPMs are you running out on the HWY? at say 60 mph?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

I spin 2200 for 80mph in 6th gear
Old 05-10-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hows the EPP install fitment?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Can one of you with the Quick Performance rears pm me the total cost on the rears that you ended up spending? What all did you have to buy? I just seen these and they look like nice pieces.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Can one of you with the Quick Performance rears pm me the total cost on the rears that you ended up spending? What all did you have to buy? I just seen these and they look like nice pieces.
Ummm, did you understand the post made? He had nothing but problems.

Also note to OP, Which aluminum housing did they sell you a through bolt desing housing. I dont think it is and you may have additional issues with that as they are not built to handle a lot of horsepower. They are more for a circle track or show car.

Jeff
Old 05-12-2009, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jawsgear

Also note to OP, Which aluminum housing did they sell you a through bolt desing housing. I dont think it is and you may have additional issues with that as they are not built to handle a lot of horsepower. They are more for a circle track or show car.

Jeff
Minimal modifications to save several hundred dollars, I think I'll take that. I'll be getting my own center section.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jawsgear

Jeff
LOL,,,, I kinda found that comment funny. Have you ever done a search on here for Moser 9"? If not you should try it sometime and see how many "complaint" threads you'll find.

Mike
Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 AM
FormerVendor

Our QP 9" rearend took about 15 minutes of extra work to make everything fit great... I guess for some it could be a mentionable issue but I didnt think much of a big deal as ive seen just as many little things with any moser/strange etc that I have installed.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Midwest is the better option. Get what you pay for in most cases
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

I've installed 9" rears from a few different vendors into several different vehicles.

Getting the center section onto the studs took some adjustment on all of the new 9" setups. Once you get it torqued down the first time it's good to go.

Shock bolt size can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I've had to do that on 2 of them myself.

It can be hit and miss. One housing I purchased for a former car of mine(aside from the center section studs )fell right into the car like I was replacing an OEM part. One I helped a friend with had a few small things like shock hole size. One for a cousin had a used housing but new axle tubes...and there was a stress crack in the housing an inch away from the newly welded on upper control arm mounts. Fortunately the vendors helped me resove my issues quite to my satisfaction in all cases so far.

I suppose a person must decide for themselves if a hundred to a few hundred bucks is worth a few issues such as these. Let's also bear in mind that this, much like each of the ones I mentioned, is one instance. No doubt others who have purchased a housing from (insert brand here) had no isses and we have never heard of their install stories.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Jeff,

I'm not sure what you mean by through hole design, I assume you are talking about the cap bolt holes? It is a Yukon piece, it seems to be well built and looks beefy as hell but I guess we will find out soon enough.

I'm wondering how hard it will be to get the third member back off now that I have it together, I say this because the rear is making some noise and I was thinking about taking the chunk out and looking it over.

With the rear I got it was more than 15min worth of work, remember it was every piece that went back on (shocks, emergency brake mounts, panhard bar, lca, torque arm, driveshaft,grinding nuts so i could get my brake backing plates on (wtf)) involved some adjustment (read: grinding) of their product. Perhaps I got the one that their quality control forgot to look at.

Last edited by vettett15; 05-13-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettett15
Jeff,

I'm not sure what you mean by through hole design, I assume you are talking about the cap bolt holes? It is a Yukon piece, it seems to be well built and looks beefy as hell but I guess we will find out soon enough.

I'm wondering how hard it will be to get the third member back off now that I have it together, I say this because the rear is making some noise and I was thinking about taking the chunk out and looking it over.

With the rear I got it was more than 15min worth of work, remember it was every piece that went back on (shocks, emergency brake mounts, panhard bar, lca, torque arm, driveshaft,grinding nuts so i could get my brake backing plates on (wtf)) involved some adjustment (read: grinding) of their product. Perhaps I got the one that their quality control forgot to look at.
Yukon seems to offer a variety of aluminum cases, Strange (Light weight or Ultra) or Moser, but they don't make their own case. Which one do you have?

The Lightweight Strange case is not thru-bolt cap design and in their own words: "...is meant for applications where weight is crucial and gear set life is not an issue....not suited for heavier or blown race cars..."

The Strange Ultra aluminum case is a thru-bolt design as is the Moser aluminum case. These are a better choice for street/strip cars than the Strange Lightweight case.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

I believe they are making their own case now.

http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDeta...px?ProdID=5169

I was assured that it was good for 500+ wheel

Although it isn't through bolt design, we'll see.

Last edited by vettett15; 05-14-2009 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: QP 9" Rant