Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

wheel studs and a 9"

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wheel studs and a 9"

Hey guys, I recently put a Midwest 9" in and wanting to upgrade to longer wheel studs now that I have the prostars and STICKY tires. I did upgrade to a 1/2 wheel stud but I believe there only 2" long.

Can I swap studs without pulling the axles? any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Any length suggestions?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Necro bump... Just wondering about this. I have never taken a 9 inch apart. Do I need to pull the diff to get the shaft to slide out so I can swap studs? Thanks for any info
Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you definitely have to pull the axles out and possibly the bearing retainer, bearing and brake backing plates to get to the wheel studs (at least to do it correctly, i.e. NOT using an impact to pull the studs onto the axle). The 9 inch axles are held in by the retaining plates at the end of the axle tube, 4 bolts, remove the rear caliper and give the axle a tug, when the bearing unseats from the end of the axle tube, the whole axle will slide out, no c clips to worry about. Installation is the same in reverse, just be careful not to damage the axle seal, replacing them is cheap insurance against leaks when you re install the axles too.

Its great that you want to upgrade the studs, but remember there is a right and a wrong way to install them... IMO, pulling them through with a lug nut and an impact is only going to damage the wheel stud, and will lead to early failure (probably on a hard launch at the track). The correct way to install them is with a hydraulic press... spend a little now and do it right or spend alot later when your repairing your wheel, replacing the axles and another set of ARP studs after they break from being stretched during installation.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will have to remove the axle(easy on a 9") and also most likely have to press or cut the wheel bearings off because the new studs will be too long to sneak through the holes.

In terms of installing the studs I don't see any reason why pulling them through with an impact would harm anything. I've done it on many cars, including my own, and never thought twice about it. I guess technically a press would be better but as long the studs don't start spinning in the holes it'll be fine.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My axles, which are strange 31sp in a mwc fab 9, are thread in, not press in. I'm pretty sure you will need to remove the bearing and wedding ring, seal, and reluctor wheel if using a 4 channel.

If you don't have the tools, at minimum the axle teardown and reassembly needs to be done by pros, but you can pull them yourself with basic tools.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
You will have to remove the axle(easy on a 9") and also most likely have to press or cut the wheel bearings off because the new studs will be too long to sneak through the holes.

In terms of installing the studs I don't see any reason why pulling them through with an impact would harm anything. I've done it on many cars, including my own, and never thought twice about it. I guess technically a press would be better but as long the studs don't start spinning in the holes it'll be fine.
Installing the studs by drawing them in with an impact will work, and more than likely they wont fail.... but ARP (and every other wheel stud manufacturer) specifically says not to do this. It puts stress on the stud and can possibly stretch the stud, especially lower quality doormans or other generic brands. since the brake backing plates need to be pulled anyway, why not press them in and avoid the chance of causing stud damage.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the advice. I will have to look about if they thread in I think I remember seeing threads on the larger unused holes that are in the axle. It is a 4 ch. so if I have to get the bearings and reluctor wheel off I will need a press to get them back on anyway so I will have the studs pressed if that is the case. I have all winter to get it done being the track is closed so it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again

Quick Reply: wheel studs and a 9"