Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion Angle Experts.. -4 acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Angle Experts.. -4 acceptable?

chasing a RPM specific vibe, so this may not be related, but..

Should i be concerned about my stock height car having a -4 pinion angle?
(((rear = -1.5,,, DS = +2.5)))

2000 TA M6
Moser 12, 4:11's, BMR solild TA still tranny mounted, UMI adj LCA's, UMI solid PHB, Spec 3 clutch with lots of miles on it, but works great.

(car has a pretty nasty vibration from about 1800 to 2500 RPM's, if it goes above 2500, i cant really say that it gets worse, seems to be in that range, in any gear, seemed to start after the Moser install, rear has been check MULTIPLE times, some folks say its my clutch, some say its not, etc, i have checked plugs and wires, also changed out my Push Rods, had a bent one, not bad at all really, but slightly wobbled on the mirror,,, new tires, same rims as before the vib, rear has all new bearings and rebuilt eaton posi, DS is still stock other than the U joint,, also checked to see if motor mounts were bad, engine has normal movement, nothing excessive)

Thanx all
Wayne

Last edited by Bad Blue WS6; 12-01-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-4 is a bit much unless you are making "bubba" power. Go for about -2 if your near stock or just bolt ons.

Make dam sure that the rear DS angle and the front DS angle are equal +/- .5 degree. Unequal angles are what make the big vibes.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn it! i didnt check the front of the DS, only the rearend and the rear of the DS...,,, my TA is non adjustable so trying to figure out if spending 300 bux is going to worth anything,, the non adj im using now is brand smakin new. Thought that since im stock heighth, that i would need no adj units,, turns out the M12 LCA brackets were welded "slightly off" so my Thurst Angle was out like .036 or .36 something like that, it was alot, so i ended up buying another set of LCA's that were adjustable to fix that problem.... now this.

And i bet it still wont affect my vibration problem. I will get back down to the shop to get up on the rack and measure the front and rear of the DS to be sure its within the specs you gave me.

i am just another bolt on car, that vibes more than most ******.

thanx and keep any other suggestions comin!!!

Wayne