Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Greasing an S60??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Greasing an S60??

So I noticed a couple small puddles starting to form under the ends of my S60. I've only had the thing little over a year and only driven it about 2500-3000miles. I pulled my tire and brake off to find that there is a grease point on the end of the axle tube. I had a local guy install this thing and he failed to mention this was there. Nothing in the Strange paperwork said anything about this either. Can I just put some grease in here and hope it fixes the leak or would it have nothing to do with the leak?

Grease Nipple.

Leaky leaky
Old 01-17-2010, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Dont know about the grease fittings guess it needs grease from time to time, but as for the leakes looks like your axle end seals need to be replace, and check the venting system on it make sure it is working properly.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the S60 rearends have an internal axle seal preventing the gear oil from making it to the axle bearing, therefore they install grease fitting on the housing end to make the bearing "packable" without removing it. there is a chance that your axle bearings are weeping when they get warm and the grease becomes more fluid like. I normally use a small amount of rtv sealer on the od of the bearing/seal assy to help with this. you may have this going on and would require nothing more than r&r the axle, clean it all up w/ brake cleaner and apply a bit of rtv to the od of the bearing to help it seal.
^^ also good advice to check the vent... the seals will seep if there is pressure built up in the housing when it gets warm. if you do pull the axles out... wouldn't be a bad idea to just replace the seals. you should be able to take the number from the seals and get them at your local parts store.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ssvert99
^^ also good advice to check the vent... the seals will seep if there is pressure built up in the housing when it gets warm. .
Does anyone have a picture of said axle vent? I tried Google and didn't get much
Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

well dont know on s60 should be on one of the axle tubes,
Old 01-18-2010, 09:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

should be on the cast part of the housing, passenger side, at the top, near where the axle tube meets the center.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ssvert99
should be on the cast part of the housing, passenger side, at the top, near where the axle tube meets the center.
Like where I have a random bolt?

Can I go about inserting a vent in there? Does Strange have a part I can put in there or do you guys at Midwest have something I can just bolt in?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats where the plastic vent is located on a stock 10 bolt. I would assume the same location applies for an S-60. I dont believe there should be a bolt in there. I believe it should be a vent
Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28 justin
Like where I have a random bolt?

Can I go about inserting a vent in there? Does Strange have a part I can put in there or do you guys at Midwest have something I can just bolt in?
^^^ That random bolt IS the vent. If you could look at it directly from the top you'd see that if has a "mesh" material in the middle. I remember looking at it when my S60 was still on the pallet.

On a side note...damn dude I can't believe after spending the coin on a new S60 you didn't spend another $5 on a can of paint so it wouldn't rust I primed and painted mine before I installed it, and it still looks brand new
Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
^^^ That random bolt IS the vent. If you could look at it directly from the top you'd see that if has a "mesh" material in the middle. I remember looking at it when my S60 was still on the pallet.

On a side note...damn dude I can't believe after spending the coin on a new S60 you didn't spend another $5 on a can of paint so it wouldn't rust I primed and painted mine before I installed it, and it still looks brand new
Well, I ordered it local and they had somebody install it, so I never got the chance to paint it before it was on the car (I didn't have a garage at the time). I was gonna rip it off this winter now that I have a garage, wirewheel it and rust bullet it.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28 justin
Well, I ordered it local and they had somebody install it, so I never got the chance to paint it before it was on the car (I didn't have a garage at the time). I was gonna rip it off this winter now that I have a garage, wirewheel it and rust bullet it.
Ah I see. I wasn't tryin to be mean, it's just after spending a good chunk of $$$ if mine looked like that I'd be pissed.

Anyways, just FWIW, I greased mine when I installed it and have never had a leak from that area. I've even had to pull my axles to change studs too and didn't silicone them like Eric suggested above...still no leaks.

Mine did however leak from the cheap chrome rear cover. Even before I drove the car it was leaking. I solved that problem with an aluminum TA rear cover though
Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

that is the vent as was mentioned... it is the same type of vent i use with my 9 inch rearends. it is possible for the material to become plugged if some debris/sludge got onto it, but not likely. you can simply unscrew it... its just 1/8npt threads btw. you can install a brass threaded nipple and a piece of vacuum hose that should be available to you at local hardware stores if you feel the need to change it. the original vent can be washed with spray brake cleaner and then blow compressed air through it.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

UPDATE::

So I decided to pull my S60 since I had a leak anyway and figured I'd take it in to get the seals replaced (not comfortable pulling the axles out myself yet). While it was out I decided to paint it (didn't have a garage so it was installed elsewhere without paint). Here's some pics.

Axle as was after a year and a half of ownership (6 months of drive time, plus a couple hours through a bad rain storm):

After wirewheeling half of it:

Finished wirewheeling and prepped for rustbullet:

1st coat on top half:

Finished product:

So now I have a couple questions to people with S60's.

First off, what is the little hole circled here, is it for ABS? I thought the axle didn't come prepped for ABS but if it did, I'd like to put something in there so crap doesn't get into my axle (anyone know a thread size?)

I also pulled the breather and couldn't quite blow through it. Sprayed it down with brake cleaner and that helped. However, I'm a little worried about getting seals replaced to just have them start leaking because of a possible bad breather. Anyone know where I can get another breather or something better than included?

Pic:

Quick Reply: Greasing an S60??