Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end hummmming....help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end hummmming....help!

Owner before me put 3.73 gears in it and supposedly it's been humming since the install of the gears. Anything I can do to fix this? Or if I buy some 4.10's and have them installed will the humming go away? It doesn't hummm when coasting, only on acceleration and I think it's loudest when just slightly pushing on the gas to maintain speed. Also, is it going to blow up? or just annoy the heck out of me? I took the cover off and all the gears look good and new, no broken teeth or unusual wear that I can see.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It shouldn't blow up. It's just the way the gears were installed it makes them whine. You can have someone go in and try to reset them but typically if they have a wear pattern on them, they won't sound any better from my experience. Best bet is to get a new set of gears. However, a 4.10 gear in a 7.5" rearend will probably whine just as bad. They are hard to get setup correctly and when you do, a couple hard launches and they might start to whine again...

Jon
Old 01-25-2010, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

So stick with 3.73's just buy new ones? Posi unit should still be fine, right?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I would just turn the radio up. I wouldn't waste putting any money into the stock rear.

I wouldn't worry about your rear end. If everything looked good, and you have pleny of fluid in it, then its not going to just break while you are driving down the street. Unless you are that worried about the noise, I would spend the money elsewhere.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Honestly, I would just turn the radio up. I wouldn't waste putting any money into the stock rear.

I wouldn't worry about your rear end. If everything looked good, and you have pleny of fluid in it, then its not going to just break while you are driving down the street. Unless you are that worried about the noise, I would spend the money elsewhere.
Yeah, it's mainly the noise thats driving me nuts, but I want to take it on a long road trip and I was worried about it getting too hot and breaking, but if it's not going to break then yeah, I'll just turn the radio up or put a louder exhaust on it.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WizardofDetailing
Yeah, it's mainly the noise thats driving me nuts, but I want to take it on a long road trip and I was worried about it getting too hot and breaking, but if it's not going to break then yeah, I'll just turn the radio up or put a louder exhaust on it.
I understand 100%. Some guys really want everything to be perfect. They hate the little rattles, and noises that these cars start making, and chase them down. My car is obnoxiously loud, so all the little noises don't really bug me too much. If it was closer to stock, that hum coming from my rear end would probably drive me crazy.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. You said you opened it up, and everything looked good. The fluid has got to be fresh. You should be fine.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

I put a new cover and gasket and new oil in it. Was hoping it would quiet it down atleast, but it's the same. Got rid of the leak though.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Because it was setup wrong... they dont make noise when setup correctly.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 79TAKid
Because it was setup wrong... they dont make noise when setup correctly.
I kinda figured it was set up wrong. I have no clue how to do it, I just wanted to know if it was going to go bang while driving down the highway.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had that problem and I torqued the pinion nut down another 1/8 of a turn tighter the whine stopped. Its not reccomended practice as you are increasing the preload on the pinion bearings. In my opinion, its ok to go an extra 10-15 degrees tighter on broken in pinion bearings. Some will argue that though.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by alamantia
I had that problem and I torqued the pinion nut down another 1/8 of a turn tighter the whine stopped. Its not reccomended practice as you are increasing the preload on the pinion bearings. In my opinion, its ok to go an extra 10-15 degrees tighter on broken in pinion bearings. Some will argue that though.
I've heard of doing this before, but haven't heard much on the topic. Maybe just tighten it a little bit even if it just quiets it down I would be happy.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

pinion bearings are installed with a certian preload, its actualy higher amount of preload than they are supposed to be set at. Reason is that they will eventually wear in and seat to where they should be and preload will then be correct. Sometimes they wear in a lottle too much and the pinion isnt tight enough and acts like a tuniing fork emeniating a noise. I discovered then when I bought an old blazer with 3.42's and it had a slight whine to the rear end. It had a leaky pinion seal so I marked the nut and replaced the seal, when i reinstalled the nut I torqued it up to the mark and just a little passed the mark. The whine was gone. So when i had a 1985 monte carlo ss with 3.73's and they whined a little, i just went under the car and tightened the pinion nut ever so slighty and the wine went away. Two cars, same result. Im not saying its the answer but im 2 for 2
Old 01-25-2010, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Well I like your results. I think I might just try it. I hate odd noises while cruising. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by WizardofDetailing; 01-25-2010 at 11:25 AM.