Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4.10's, Too Short

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The funny part is I explain CORRECTLY and you still do not get it. I had hoped you had gotten a clue.

You sir, are a lost cause.

Increased gearing helps in ALL apects of these car due to weight and it simple allows the power band to be more useable.

But again, I would expect you to understand. You still think GM Wants you to put ATF fluid in T-56's because it is the best fluid (recommended) but not that its a better business decision to buy in bulk.

Do yourself a favor, sell your car and mod your Cobalt and let a more responsible owner mod your car.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Do yourself a favor, sell your car and mod your Cobalt and let a more responsible owner mod your car.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You M6 guys are sure cry babies. Try driving around with a 4K+ converter and see where your precious 93 octane goes.
you automatic guys are such cry babies about your 4k stalls. try a M6 with a 3200LB pressure plate and wonder why your left leg is twice the size of your right leg after about 10k miles.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
you automatic guys are such cry babies about your 4k stalls. try a M6 with a 3200LB pressure plate and wonder why your left leg is twice the size of your right leg after about 10k miles.
You M6 guys are such crybabies about getting yanked out of the hole by and auto LOL.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I dont cry about gearing or converter stall speeds. I dont give a **** about gas mileage either. Or the tread on my rear tires.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
You M6 guys are such crybabies about getting yanked out of the hole by and auto LOL.
a 6k clutch dump on stickies will take care of your automatic trans brake launch.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Veteran

I dont cry about gearing or converter stall speeds. I dont give a **** about gas mileage either. Or the tread on my rear tires.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

a 6k clutch dump on stickies will take care of your automatic trans brake launch.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

x2...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems like a good debate here! and yes your comparing two different worlds there with the cobalt vs. TA, NA vs. turbo. 1BAD_LS1 here has a t70 5.3, th400, and 3.70s in his 9in....and yeah, it wraps pretty fast, but steeper gears will help it take full advange of the power through the rpm range.

i see where itd be a pain for the OP having to shift alot. in reality your engine is doing less work...a wise man once said...."give me a pole long enough, and i can move the world" gear to gear its the same rpm drop as any other gears...2.73s...to 7.xx...just that those lower gears (num higher) will let the engine wrap faster. idk why your having a problem with this....skip gears...you dont HAVE to hit every gear....skip shift is a pain...but why did gm do this? the 1-4 shift...to save on gas. id say itd be respectable for street crusing, up to 40 or so..hell if you need more...do the 5 and 6th gears.

or if your dead set, maybe you get lucky and someone in your area will just trade you a whole rear....straight up!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zacht
idk why your having a problem with this....skip gears...you dont HAVE to hit every gear....skip shift is a pain...but why did gm do this? the 1-4 shift...to save on gas.
I was going to bring this up but based on past post, I did not want to help him. If I were to help, your advice is what exactly mine would be. I often g from 1-3 (some times 4), and depending on what mph, right to 6th, or leave in fifth.

One nugget of knowledge is that is was asked of me that every shift puts wear/tear on the clutch assembly. The most FORCE that is applied is when the car is stationary (dead stop), quick and efficent shifts through out the rpm while the car is rolling along is nothing compared to dead stop clutch slips. Having a 4.10 gear allows for less slip to be applied.

But what do I know.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

I was going to bring this up but based on past post, I did not want to help him. If I were to help, your advice is what exactly mine would be. I often g from 1-3 (some times 4), and depending on what mph, right to 6th, or leave in fifth.

One nugget of knowledge is that is was asked of me that every shift puts wear/tear on the clutch assembly. The most FORCE that is applied is when the car is stationary (dead stop), quick and efficent shifts through out the rpm while the car is rolling along is nothing compared to dead stop clutch slips. Having a 4.10 gear allows for less slip to be applied.

But what do I know.
not to mention wear on the blocker rings and shift keys, as well as the thrust bearing on the crankshaft. every push of the clutch hammers the hell out of a lot of things.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The funny part is I explain CORRECTLY and you still do not get it. I had hoped you had gotten a clue.

You sir, are a lost cause.
No, you are a lost cause. Your statements have proven that you do not understand what you are talking about, and when I question your reasoning, you get all defensive.

Increased gearing helps in ALL apects of these car due to weight and it simple allows the power band to be more useable.
No, its doesn't. It allows the car to get off the line quicker, and thats about it.

But again, I would expect you to understand. You still think GM Wants you to put ATF fluid in T-56's because it is the best fluid (recommended) but not that its a better business decision to buy in bulk.
As a professional technician and having rebuilt transmissions including my own T56, your opinion on transmissions fluid is worth about as much to anyone as the dirt on my shoe. The blocker rings material, as well as the rest of the trans internals, are designed to use ATF. Not whatever you decided is better because you think you are smarter than the engineers and everyone else.

It has nothing to do with buying anything in bulk, look at the new TR6060 transmissions. Still use ATF, and DEXIII ATF is discontinued for use in GM automatic transmissions. So they relabeled it as manual trans fluid so that it will still be available. You once again prove you have no idea what you are talking about.

Do me a favor, shut the hell up and stop posting worthless information in my thread which is nothing more than your concocted opinions that mean absolutely nothing to anyone.

More responsible?? Keep putting the wrong fluid in your trans and talking out of your *** about things you don't understand, thats real responsible.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

But what do I know.
I don't want your help so STOP POSTING. You are an idiot and you have no idea what you are even talking about. I responded to your post on the previous page, and all you could do was tell me to sell my car...you are a joke.

Anyone who installs gear to have "less clutch slip" or make the car faster is absolutely clueless. The difference in clutch slip while taking off in 1st gear is minimal, and 4.10's will not make your car any faster. It can make it quicker if you can launch, but once you're moving, there is no difference. As long as the engine is in the powerband, it doesn't matter what you're running, the engine is making the same HP. and If you know anything about physics, you'd understand that its physically impossible for gears to make your car faster. You just go through the gears quicker.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zacht
seems like a good debate here! and yes your comparing two different worlds there with the cobalt vs. TA, NA vs. turbo. 1BAD_LS1 here has a t70 5.3, th400, and 3.70s in his 9in....and yeah, it wraps pretty fast, but steeper gears will help it take full advange of the power through the rpm range.

i see where itd be a pain for the OP having to shift alot. in reality your engine is doing less work...a wise man once said...."give me a pole long enough, and i can move the world" gear to gear its the same rpm drop as any other gears...2.73s...to 7.xx...just that those lower gears (num higher) will let the engine wrap faster. idk why your having a problem with this....skip gears...you dont HAVE to hit every gear....skip shift is a pain...but why did gm do this? the 1-4 shift...to save on gas. id say itd be respectable for street crusing, up to 40 or so..hell if you need more...do the 5 and 6th gears.

or if your dead set, maybe you get lucky and someone in your area will just trade you a whole rear....straight up!
Don't forget the AWD STI he threw in there too.

I'll trade you my 10 bolt with 3.42's right now!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
I don't want your help so STOP POSTING. You are an idiot and you have no idea what you are even talking about. I responded to your post on the previous page, and all you could do was tell me to sell my car...you are a joke.

Anyone who installs gear to have "less clutch slip" or make the car faster is absolutely clueless. The difference in clutch slip while taking off in 1st gear is minimal, and 4.10's will not make your car any faster. It can make it quicker if you can launch, but once you're moving, there is no difference. As long as the engine is in the powerband, it doesn't matter what you're running, the engine is making the same HP. and If you know anything about physics, you'd understand that its physically impossible for gears to make your car faster. You just go through the gears quicker.

you shouldnt be calling anyone a idiot when infact your the idiot here. Read your own damn post again and let me know if you make any sense...

you claiming that 3.42's to a 4.10 will only make your car quicker, not faster because once its in its powerband, it makes no difference. No **** jack ***. You just counter acted yourself. 4.10's are GOING to make you get into your powerband faster in EVERY SINGLE gear...and even this is a huge benefit, Im not even going to get into big cammed cars like myself. Getting into the powerband faster, is going to make your car quicker, AND faster...I dont care what you say, but take a look around this thread bud. You have 50 different people disagreeing with what your saying, and your the only one sticking too being WRONG. I wouldnt call anyone stupid when you, yourself look like a Anus.

Not too mention. Do some research. Why are SO many drag racing guys, that are running 9's,10's and 11's running 4.10's? If your theory was correct, on 3.42's and 4.10's being the same when rolling, why wouldnt all these guys just keep their stock gearing???

BTW, I went from 3.42's too 4.10's and it was a night and day difference in every way possible too drive the damn car.

Last edited by kidcamaro98; 02-25-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
4.10's will not make your car any faster. It can make it quicker if you can launch, but once you're moving, there is no difference.
Dumbest thing I have read all day, congratulations you get the idiot of the day award.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dumbest thing I have read all day, congratulations you get the idiot of the day award.
I meant quicker as in ET, faster as in trap speed.

It appears you are the idiot.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
you shouldnt be calling anyone a idiot when infact your the idiot here. Read your own damn post again and let me know if you make any sense...

you claiming that 3.42's to a 4.10 will only make your car quicker, not faster because once its in its powerband, it makes no difference. No **** jack ***. You just counter acted yourself. 4.10's are GOING to make you get into your powerband faster in EVERY SINGLE gear...and even this is a huge benefit, Im not even going to get into big cammed cars like myself. Getting into the powerband faster, is going to make your car quicker, AND faster...I dont care what you say, but take a look around this thread bud. You have 50 different people disagreeing with what your saying, and your the only one sticking too being WRONG. I wouldnt call anyone stupid when you, yourself look like a Anus.

Not too mention. Do some research. Why are SO many drag racing guys, that are running 9's,10's and 11's running 4.10's? If your theory was correct, on 3.42's and 4.10's being the same when rolling, why wouldnt all these guys just keep their stock gearing???

BTW, I went from 3.42's too 4.10's and it was a night and day difference in every way possible too drive the damn car.
Pardon me though, but to a SMALL extent he is correct.

The 3.42 geared car will eventually eat the 4.10 geared car as it will have a higher top speed. But definitely not in the 1/4.

I would much rather have a 3.42 set in a texas mile.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
Read your post. You're claiming lower gears will get you into the powerband faster in every gear...thats the most retarded thing I have ever heard. You are clueless. Once you have the engine in the powerband, it doesn't matter what gears you have, the engine is only making so much power. Once you're out of 1st gear, shorter gears just mean more shifting.

How will they help you get into your powerband faster in "every single gear" dumbass?? Once you are in the powerband and shift into the next gear, its ALREADY IN the powerband. Therefore it doesn't need to "get into it faster". Your ignorance is blatantly obvious. You think that just because your car feels faster in 1st gear, its automatically faster in every possible way.

Drag racers run 4.10's because they help you get off the line as quickly as possible.

They don't help you get into the powerband quicker in subsequent gears

Last edited by Wesmanw02; 02-25-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.10's, Too Short