Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My Moser 9" Install With PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had them on the second one up from the bottom. I read on your how to that you suggest the second one down from the top for better traction.

I also meant to ask what do you guys do with the rear brake lines to keep them from moving around?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by Grifter
I had them on the second one up from the bottom. I read on your how to that you suggest the second one down from the top for better traction.

I also meant to ask what do you guys do with the rear brake lines to keep them from moving around?
Hmm, I recommend the very bottom hole. I'll go back and make sure that is what it says.

Worm clamps work well for securing the brake lines. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-18-2010, 12:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

"We have found the lowest position seems to work best for optimum traction." Bob

Old 11-18-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Hmm, I recommend the very bottom hole. I'll go back and make sure that is what it says.

Worm clamps work well for securing the brake lines. Bob
Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
"We have found the lowest position seems to work best for optimum traction." Bob

Ahhhh, thanks. Now here's another problem; since the holes all slightly goe towards the front of the car the e-brake bracket won't fit on the lowest hole. Do you end up cutting the bracket? I was hesistant to do this because it would only be held on by one side of the bolt.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ahhhh, thanks. Now here's another problem; since the holes all slightly goe towards the front of the car the e-brake bracket won't fit on the lowest hole. Do you end up cutting the bracket? I was hesistant to do this because it would only be held on by one side of the bolt.
Yes, we've always cut the bracket and haven't had any problems with them in this fashion. Bob

Old 01-23-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I figured I'd share some new pictures.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

would it help to heat the bearings in a oven or freeze them in a freezer for pressing them on the axles.I have a press.great write up.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by garygnu
would it help to heat the bearings in a oven or freeze them in a freezer for pressing them on the axles.I have a press.great write up.
I don't see that being necessary, they press on very easily.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your tires rubbing on the inside? Kinda looks like it from the pics.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mr_biscuitz
Is your tires rubbing on the inside? Kinda looks like it from the pics.
Good eyes. I bought those tires off a friend who had his c-clip eliminators fail(fox body) and the axle and rim/tire came out on the highway. It chewed up the inside of one tire on the fender while it came out. Luckily my friend is fine. He ended up getting bigger tires and sold those to me for cheap.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I figured it was time to give some updates...

Unfortunately my Wavetrac did not hold up so well. I had the 1st design which was purchased with the rear at the end of 2009. It held up fine with 26" slicks and one track rental with 28" slicks. Probabaly didn't have more than 3-4K miles on the rear/diff. First run at a track rental last year and I heard a clunk/pop during the burnout. Car made a good pass but turning off the track it was clunking/hopping like I had a spool. I proceeded to make another 15-20 runs with no problems besides the clunk. I knew something was up but that's I why I trailer my car; if it's gonna blow I can get it home. Ends up being a blown Wavetrac. Moser was pretty much a nightmare to deal with, thank god for Bob at Brute Speed and Ryan at Autotech. I had a brand new, 2nd design Wavetrac sent out to me before I even pulled the old one out, which was greatly appreciated. Before installing the new one I called Moser to get all the specs for the diff and was told 'we don't have them'...huh? How do you guys set up the diffs then? A call to Bob at Brute Speed and he got me the name a guy to talk to at Moser and I got the new Wavetrac installed.

Fast forward a couple months later and I'm at my next track rental. About 10-15 runs and everything is great until my last run. Heard another clunk/pop during the burnout. I knew exactly what it was but I didn't care. Made the pass, everything was fine until I turned off and it hopped like a spool again. So two Wavetrac's gone in about a year or so. At least Ryan at Autotech was awesome to deal with, great customer service and more than willing to help me out. I sent him back my diff and he rebuilt it quickly and kept me in the loop. I am however done with the Wavetrac and LSD's in general. The car has been driven(including the track) about 600 miles in two years. The downfalls to having a spool on the street does not effect me and after driving the spool on the street I wish I did it in the first place.

Bob was beyond helpful and it's important to note that I DID NOT buy my rear from him but he always picked up the phone and tried to help me out. It was a no brainer when I was ordering a spool that it was going to be from him.

Keep in mind that my car is not making substantial power. Last time it was dyno'd it made 395HP/375TQ on a Dynojet and weighs 3,250 with no driver. I was spraying on a 100 shot in 2nd-4th but was never spraying when the diff decided to die. Talking to Bob and Ryan my case seems to be a rare one, which I believe. I am in no way bashing the Wavetrac but my experience hasn't been too great so I found it only fair to share it with you guys. It is the most expensive diff on the market and although that lifetime warranty is great at the end of the day I'll take a spool.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Unfortunately my Wavetrac did not hold up so well. I had the 1st design which was purchased with the rear at the end of 2009. It held up fine with 26" slicks and one track rental with 28" slicks. Probabaly didn't have more than 3-4K miles on the rear/diff. First run at a track rental last year and I heard a clunk/pop during the burnout. Car made a good pass but turning off the track it was clunking/hopping like I had a spool. I proceeded to make another 15-20 runs with no problems besides the clunk. I knew something was up but that's I why I trailer my car; if it's gonna blow I can get it home. Ends up being a blown Wavetrac. Moser was pretty much a nightmare to deal with, thank god for Bob at Brute Speed and Ryan at Autotech. I had a brand new, 2nd design Wavetrac sent out to me before I even pulled the old one out, which was greatly appreciated. Before installing the new one I called Moser to get all the specs for the diff and was told 'we don't have them'...huh? How do you guys set up the diffs then? A call to Bob at Brute Speed and he got me the name a guy to talk to at Moser and I got the new Wavetrac installed.

Fast forward a couple months later and I'm at my next track rental. About 10-15 runs and everything is great until my last run. Heard another clunk/pop during the burnout. I knew exactly what it was but I didn't care. Made the pass, everything was fine until I turned off and it hopped like a spool again. So two Wavetrac's gone in about a year or so. At least Ryan at Autotech was awesome to deal with, great customer service and more than willing to help me out. I sent him back my diff and he rebuilt it quickly and kept me in the loop. I am however done with the Wavetrac and LSD's in general. The car has been driven(including the track) about 600 miles in two years. The downfalls to having a spool on the street does not effect me and after driving the spool on the street I wish I did it in the first place.

Bob was beyond helpful and it's important to note that I DID NOT buy my rear from him but he always picked up the phone and tried to help me out. It was a no brainer when I was ordering a spool that it was going to be from him.

Keep in mind that my car is not making substantial power. Last time it was dyno'd it made 395HP/375TQ on a Dynojet and weighs 3,250 with no driver. I was spraying on a 100 shot in 2nd-4th but was never spraying when the diff decided to die. Talking to Bob and Ryan my case seems to be a rare one, which I believe. I am in no way bashing the Wavetrac but my experience hasn't been too great so I found it only fair to share it with you guys. It is the most expensive diff on the market and although that lifetime warranty is great at the end of the day I'll take a spool.
Thats good to know for future reference. How is the spool when you do drive around town? I went with a spool on my order with MWC and car is a weekend warrior at times. Is it really that bad when taking turns?
Old 01-14-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tnmotown
Thats good to know for future reference. How is the spool when you do drive around town? I went with a spool on my order with MWC and car is a weekend warrior at times. Is it really that bad when taking turns?
It clunks and hops during tight turns in parking lots but I've actually taken some off ramps at rather fast speeds and really didn't notice much a difference. Obviously you're not gonna run a spool in a car that's built to take turns though.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

It clunks and hops during tight turns in parking lots but I've actually taken some off ramps at rather fast speeds and really didn't notice much a difference. Obviously you're not gonna run a spool in a car that's built to take turns though.
Ok gotcha. Yeah my car is not a corner carver, I like to go in a straight line

Just seeing how it is with street driving at times. Thanks
Old 01-23-2015, 04:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. Bob

Old 01-27-2015, 05:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I see this thread has been around for years and you have a tunnel mount torque arm so I am betting this is a good place to ask. Does the rear end howl at highway cruise? Thanks for any feed back.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by codyvette
I see this thread has been around for years and you have a tunnel mount torque arm so I am betting this is a good place to ask. Does the rear end howl at highway cruise? Thanks for any feed back.
I do get some gear whine, it's slightly quieter after I set up the rear myself but it's definitely there. You can get it to come and go with the throttle on the highway. Nothing that's unbearable in my opinion but these cars are rattle boxes from the factory. Between my exhaust, solid engine mounts, etc there's quite a bit of noise going on.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

With the axle bearings that has o rings, is it necessary to use the inner axle seals, I read somewhere that the push ring would rub on the inner seal. My last bearings didn't have the o rings, heard o ring bearing were slightly wider than the ones without. Would like to use the inner seal, not sure how true that info was.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZHAWK154
just put a moser 9" in my hawk. got 31 spline with alum center section and 4.11 gear. i cut off half to the e-brake beacket in each side so only outer half (part with cable and brake line) was bolted to brackets. that was the only mod. even using stock alum driveshaft - except for conversion u-joint. - LOVIN IT!!!!!
sorry to bump an old thread but having the same problem with the e-brake brackets... so u only keep the half that goes on the side facing the tire?

Quick Reply: My Moser 9" Install With PICS!