Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My Moser 9" Install With PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default My Moser 9" Install With PICS!

First off I would like to thank Kaltech Tuning for the great deal on the rear end and Speed Inc. for the driveshaft. Also, Bob from EPP and Scott from MidWest Chassis. I did not purchase any parts from either but I have bugged them with questions for years(literally!) and they always were helpful in their replies. After a long, long time debating which rearend to get I finally pulled the trigger on a Moser 9".

Here's the specs on the rear:
Moser 9"
No ABS/TCS
WaveTrac
35 spline
4:10
Relocation brackets
Swaybar brackets
Housing and center section painted using POR-15.

I will be updating this thread with the durablity of the WaveTrac and POR-15.

And now onto the pictures....

Cleaned using a wire brush, 100 grit sandpaper and solvent.

First coat.

I wasn't going to paint the center section but I'm glad I did!

Out with the old.

It's hard to tell by the picture but the 35 spline axles are HUGE compared to the stockers.

This is what the axles look like before and after the backing plates and bearings are pressed on. After on the left before on the right.

Bearing being pressed on.

Built and ready to go in minus the axles/backing plates.

And........in!

Overall the installed was pretty easy. Nothing to diffuclt just somewhat time consuming. Obviously air tools and a lift make it much easier.

I do have a couple questions/concerns that hopefully some of you can answer.

1: Out of all the research I've done on the 9"(and I have done A LOT) I never read anything about the e-brake bracket. When I went to try and bolt the bracket to the rears relocation bracket it wouldn't line up with the bolt holes. I had to grind out the holes to make it fit on the second hole up from the bottom. Are you supposed to install the e-brake bracket to the bottom hole and get another bolt for the LCA?

2: After taking the car for a quick 5 mile ride I put it on the lift to check things over. I noticed the torque arm(Spohn) was slamming into the body/driveshaft tunnel. I put it on the alignment rack and adjusted the panhard bar until it had plenty of clearance. My concern now is that I won't be able to run my 11" ZR1's because the rear is too far over to the passengerside now. I banged out the body a little to give it some more room and am going to adjust it over to the driverside a little more.

3: When you spin one of the rear wheels the other one does not turn. I don't know if this is normal for the WaveTrac or other aftermarket diffs. When you turn the driveshaft however both wheels spin. Just curious.

4: The sway bar seems pretty tight against the middle threaded cylinder that the adapter bracket bolts to. I think if I installed some washers to where the sway bar bolts up it might move the sway bar down.

Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice marc! How long was the install?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

moser's torque arm bracket is huge and a little too far over to the drivers side. you have to beat the hell outta the floorboard with just about any aftermarket torque arm to get it to clear.

i also had to hit the tube the torque arm mount threads into to with a grinders to get the sway bar to clear
Old 02-25-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silversrtman
Nice marc! How long was the install?
Thanks Rocco. I would say almost a full two days. That includes painting and installing the fuel pump and harness.

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
moser's torque arm bracket is huge and a little too far over to the drivers side. you have to beat the hell outta the floorboard with just about any aftermarket torque arm to get it to clear.

i also had to hit the tube the torque arm mount threads into to with a grinders to get the sway bar to clear
Ok, so atleast I'm not the only one. I just wish I knew before since it would have made it a lot easier to massage the floor board with everything out.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! I just did mine and was so wraped up in the project, I did not take pics.

The Spohn torque arm fit with no problems for me.

I had 2 problems on my install...

1. The right axle is longer than the left.. Yup learned that after the calipers were pressed on lol.

2. A performance shop did not know about the way Spohn degrees the torque arm... T
Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

just put a moser 9" in my hawk. got 31 spline with alum center section and 4.11 gear. i cut off half to the e-brake beacket in each side so only outer half (part with cable and brake line) was bolted to brackets. that was the only mod. even using stock alum driveshaft - except for conversion u-joint. - LOVIN IT!!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks good!!!! great job man, looks like a clean install to me...
Old 02-26-2010, 02:51 AM
TECH Addict

i like the look of the rusty 10 bolt better.... not! looks awesome, i'm very jealous
Old 02-26-2010, 03:34 AM
12 Second Club

my eaton truetrac does the same thing you do...tight turns it skips almost locker a spool.

BFH mod the tunnel for the torque arm...

Chad
Old 02-26-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Regular

my BMR drag pac torque arm fit perfectly with mine.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We stick a pry bar up between the floors sheetmetal and the torque arm bracket, and pry the floor over that way. It is pretty easy to do. Bob
Old 02-26-2010, 08:47 AM
9 Second Club

Looks good! I just had my 9 inch installed also. I have 33 spline! I should post pics of my install....maybe.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
Awesome! I just did mine and was so wraped up in the project, I did not take pics.

The Spohn torque arm fit with no problems for me.
I also get very wrapped up in my car when I work on it. I don't stop for anything, I don't even eat! But I knew I wanted to post up some pictures for you guys so I took a couple seconds and snapped some photos. I would have liked to do a how-to but I knew I wasn't patient enough haha.

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
looks good!!!! great job man, looks like a clean install to me...
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
my eaton truetrac does the same thing you do...tight turns it skips almost locker a spool.

BFH mod the tunnel for the torque arm...

Chad
Ok cool. I haven't gotten to take the car out much yet. I want to get the speedo recalibrated before I put 5K fake miles on it haha.

Originally Posted by EPP Automotive Performance
We stick a pry bar up between the floors sheetmetal and the torque arm bracket, and pry the floor over that way. It is pretty easy to do. Bob
Thanks Bob. I banged out the sheetmetal some more today and adjusted the rear over to the driverside some more. It's going to take some test drives and test fitting my 11's to see if it's good enough.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I cant wait to get my 9in installed, just have to wait for the weather to get nicer and my insurance to go back on may 1st.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice job! I just put the same rear in my car. I painted mine with por-15 too. Did you steal my ideas?! j.k. Im sure you will like the por-15. I use it on alot of things that will rust.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99FBODY
I cant wait to get my 9in installed, just have to wait for the weather to get nicer and my insurance to go back on may 1st.
Damn May 1st, why so long?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by THE LAST Z
Nice job! I just put the same rear in my car. I painted mine with por-15 too. Did you steal my ideas?! j.k. Im sure you will like the por-15. I use it on alot of things that will rust.
As a matter of fact I did! Good thing I found your thread, it came out great. I also found out after I ordered it that they're like 45 minutes from my house haha.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grifter
As a matter of fact I did! Good thing I found your thread, it came out great. I also found out after I ordered it that they're like 45 minutes from my house haha.
Thats funny! Your rear looks great! Im glad I could help.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i had problems wth the sway bar clearance too. i used the washers off my old sway bar end links as a spacer and it clears just enough. i've driven it 50 or so miles with the washers and it doesnt' seem to ever make contact. Good luck with the WaveTrac, i'm excited to hear how well it performs.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S.O.MWS6
i had problems wth the sway bar clearance too. i used the washers off my old sway bar end links as a spacer and it clears just enough. i've driven it 50 or so miles with the washers and it doesnt' seem to ever make contact. Good luck with the WaveTrac, i'm excited to hear how well it performs.
I really hope the Wavetrac holds up. I have a long break-in ahead of me but once it's done I'm off to the track.

Quick Reply: My Moser 9" Install With PICS!