Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end seems like its slipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end seems like its slipping

Ok so I am having what I think is an issue with my rear end. It feels like it is almost slipping when I get into it hard in 2nd. I tried to do a burn out while someone was observing to see if both tires would hook up and one wasnt spinning and the other smoked out. Arent the z28's equipped with LSD? If so how come they both didnt spin. I dont ever do burnouts, that was the 1st one. I do drive the car hard but once I have traction. I also notice that it is not as fast as it was before but just chalked that up to the change in temps(I had it tuned in feb) I put down 345 hp and 355 tq. Why does my rear end feel like it is slipping.

Clutch is good grabs good!!!!
Old 04-24-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Clutches in a posi rear wear out just from the normal action of day to day driving. Going around corners, slight differnces in tire diameter and such all add up to wear on these clutches. So if you have a few miles on the car, it's probably time for a set of new ones.
These clutches have nothing to do with the one connected to your clutch pedal.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

I havent heard/read anything about cost and the process of changing out rear end clutches. What would the process be?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

I have an opportunity to but a 99 t/a complete rear for 600. It is from an auto and has 373 gears and a girdle it has 120k is this worth it?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Try changing the fluid and dont forget to add the GM limited slip friction modifier.
Its worth a shot to see if it helps - its definately cheaper than 600 for a used rearend.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^Agree
Old 04-25-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Intimidator02SS
Try changing the fluid and dont forget to add the GM limited slip friction modifier.
Its worth a shot to see if it helps - its definately cheaper than 600 for a used rearend.
the lsd is gone, it would be pointless. just grab a used one and throw it in there

i think auburn lsd uses clutches and the was another option that used worm gears, those will not wear out like the clutches do in a auburn unit
Old 04-26-2010, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

You can assume the lsd is gone all day long. It might be. But I think for 25-35 bucks in fluid and an hour or less of time is better than blowing your wad on another USED rear end that might have issues also.
Every 10k miles or so, when I rip a burn out and it goes peg leg I change the fluid, add fric modifier, and it goes for another 10k.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^if the clutches are burned out in the lsd, it does not matter how much you change the rear end oil or how much friction modifier you add. it still will not work

i never said change the hole rear end, that would be stupid. you can grab a good used lsd for 100bucks and throw it in there.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

I am going to try and change the fluid and add some additive. I am planning on installing a new ring set so when I have it apart I will check it all out. But I will definately swap fluid out. It kinda feels intermitent cause today I was getting on it on a back road and took a turn too hard on while down shifting and it broke loose and then left a 2ft dual tire marks. It felt like it grabbed os I turned around to investigate.

Quick Reply: rear end seems like its slipping