Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Dana 60 pinion noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Dana 60 pinion noise

Hey everyone.

Well, my dana has about 7500 miles on it, and never launched hard on slicks or street tires. It seems that the pinion bearing is going out, as it is pretty loud when I put it up on the lift. I am getting some wierd vibrations and noise, so when it was up on the lift we started it up and went to 4th gear and ran it at 50 miles an hour. Using the stethescope we heard the pinion was not healthy. UGH!

I purchased this through a group purchase...

Has anyone else experienced this with Dana's set up from Strange? I thought a while back people were having problems with them. So much for saving money through a GP.

When I take the rear cover off to inspect for metal shavings or anything, what lube goes back in it? If I remember right, Lucas 85/140 was recommended to me before, so that is what is in it I think. Anyone know for sure? I know Strange didn't want synthetic in it, for whatever reason...
Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Havn't had any trouble with mine yet! If you have access to a press shouldn't be much trouble to replace the pinion bearing. And yes Lucas 85/140 should be fine!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by conde'strans
Havn't had any trouble with mine yet! If you have access to a press shouldn't be much trouble to replace the pinion bearing. And yes Lucas 85/140 should be fine!
how many miles are on your '60?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

strange sent me lucas synthetic after 300-400 miles i switched to it i bolted the rear in with break in fluid and drove it ohh 5 miles then beat the hell out of it no problem....
Old 05-06-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by quik01ss
strange sent me lucas synthetic after 300-400 miles i switched to it i bolted the rear in with break in fluid and drove it ohh 5 miles then beat the hell out of it no problem....
Well what the hell. Maybe I am babying mine too much... I may need to just take it to the track and open it up then.

What driveshaft you using?
Old 05-07-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Pst drive shaft when I bought the rearend the first week I had about 100 miles on it and was still on break in fluid and went to the track drove up about 2hrs raced then went home and couple days after I switched the fluid with the stuff strange gave me.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by quik01ss
Pst drive shaft when I bought the rearend the first week I had about 100 miles on it and was still on break in fluid and went to the track drove up about 2hrs raced then went home and couple days after I switched the fluid with the stuff strange gave me.
How come you didn't get the stange engineering driveshaft at the same time you got the dana? Or... did you not buy the dana from strange?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FirebirdStud
how many miles are on your '60?
I took it to the track when it had 100 miles. I used to break in all my parts to at least 300 miles but I now like to break things in at the track!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FirebirdStud
How come you didn't get the stange engineering driveshaft at the same time you got the dana? Or... did you not buy the dana from strange?

Didn't want the strange driveshaft I like the pst bcuz its aluminum. I did buy the rear from strange but through a dealer for strange at a really good price shipped to my door
Old 05-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is on the 3rd set of gears. I originally ordered it with 4.10's and their driveshaft. Lots of vibration around 45-50 MPH. Driveshaft had to be balanced. After that, it was perfect until I decided to go to 3.73's. I bought an aftermarket ring and pinion and it howled like crazy. This was around the time of the PRI Show so I talked to their guys at the booth and they said to run an OEM cut Spicer gear. Did it and it was perfect again. Now I just switched to the 3.55's and everything is still good. I have a very faint howl at around 40 mph that goes away as soon as you speed up or slow down. My rear has atleast 20K miles on it now as I daily drove the car until recently and still drive it on nice days (no AC thanks to turbo mod) as it is more street friendly now than it has ever been (unless it's 100* outside, raining or both).
Old 06-15-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

now that I got the pinion angle set right, the howl is 90% gone. Im a happy camper and I wont be tearing into it until something bad happens. Its amazing what something as small as the pinion angle will do to everything else...

Quick Reply: Dana 60 pinion noise