Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Unsure of noise I'm hearing from rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Unsure of noise I'm hearing from rear

Preface: I am a total newb when it comes to rearends. That being said,I've got a 99 WS.6 T/A with 3.73 rear end. I know this because my speedo is off and had the local Pontiac dealer check it out and they let me know. The guy who owned the car before me put em in along with a few other performance upgrades. I don't know if it's a 9,12 20 whatever bolt deal,no clue. Car has 40k miles on it,just rolled it tonight. The noise I'm hearing is def from the rear of the car,almost sounding as if it's coming from the transmission tunnel between the rear seat area. The most noticeable noise is hard to explain,but sounds like very solid gears rolling against each other. And I get a hard to notice whine occassionally. I say hard to notice due to the fact I wasn't even the one who noticed it,but a friend who rode with me and said 'is that your rear end?'. I was like is what my rear end? He said that whine. Obviously it isn't as loud as a wheel bearing whine that you can DEFINATELY notice. And neither is it constant. In town it's more the gear against gear noise. At higher speeds I can hear a whine on occasion but it definately isn't a HEY,HEAR THIS! type noise,but blends in with other road noises. I'm going to take it in tomm and have it checked for low fluid and hoping/praying that's all it is.
In a 'worse case' scenario where the rear is gone/going, how much does this usually cost to repair? I don't race, I do 'get on it' every now and again but don't get crazy (it's a automatic with what I believe to be a shift kit in it).
Old 06-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Pinion gear bearing, shot. Right rear axle and bearing, shot. Right axle seal, leaking. Couple other bearings, shot. Case magnet covered in metal shavings. Looking at a $800+ repair.....just freaking love it....
Old 06-24-2010, 05:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

https://www.brutespeed.com/moser_rears.htm
I have a lot of info at this link. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-25-2010, 01:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$800? just find a used 10bolt for a quarter of that..lol
Old 06-25-2010, 05:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

^^^that's right,acquire a 'compatible' (3 or 4 channel,whichever the car is) used rearend,then rebuild the bad one at your leisure and have it as a spare.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:16 AM
Teching In

Well the parts are on site already and didn't know the price on a rear end. Have never in all the years I've driven ever had a rear end problem so this was new to me. Kinda ticks me off I didn't know and am now gonna drop $800+ on this when I really don't have it to spend. Does a rear end come with the axels or just the gearbox in the middle? Because my right rear axle bearing was shot and needs replaced. And he recommended putting in a posi rear end while he was doing it. Also I have 3.73 gearing,is this a original equip gearing for a 99 WS.6 T/A?? I was told no by one and yes by another....
Old 06-27-2010, 03:21 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I had a nickel for every innuendo title I read....I would have about 75$ this year so far.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like wheelbaring to me