Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just installed Strange 12 bolt need help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just installed Strange 12 bolt need help.

Here is my issue I just finished putting in my 12 bolt got everything bolted up tight and this is the second day I have drove it. Everything seemed fine until I lightly accelerated above 75-80 mph. Then all of a sudden the car began to shake a little and rattle on the inside I went on up to about 90 and the problem just seemed to get worse. So what could be my problem drive shaft off balance or out of alignment or a bad set up in the rear? Although the problem is not that bad it did occur somtimes at around 60-65 just not that often. Please help
Old 01-18-2004, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Wish I had an idea for you, I read a similar post not too long ago on this site or the "other one." It was a Moser though. As I recall, the discussion did involve driveshaft questions.

Have you contacted your vendor or Strange? I'll go look for that post and try to get you some .02.

I got a Strange on order so I am curious about this...
Old 01-18-2004, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From LS1.com Drivetrain section. You may want to go over there.

Well I installed A BMR TR and I still have a vibration at 80+ its a lot better than before but is still there. TA is set to –3, -2.

For those who didn’t see my other post here is some info.

New Moser 12 bolt
Shortened (½”) and balanced Drive shaft.
Vibration starts at around 80 and gets worse
I can mostly feel it through the shifter. And I can also hear it.

any info??? this is getting old
Old 01-18-2004, 08:35 AM
Launching!

try taking the DS off and rotating it 90 degrees and reinstalling...
Old 01-18-2004, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like a pinion angle problem.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:45 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

I agree with slowhawk i had the same problem.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

maybe the TQ is loose?
Old 01-19-2004, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

I read somewhere that the driveshaft and yoke assembly going to the pinion gear had to be balanced as an assembly. Hence why I read to make an index mark on my driveshaft and yoke aasembly when I took off my driveshaft, so they would go back the same way.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Teching In

I was just getting ready to post up almost the exact problems. I just installed a Moser 12 bolt and had the upgraded yoke in it as well. It was fine for like 6 hrs the started this vibration thing around 60 mph.I took it back and they looked at the u-joint and found it had the wrong one in it. So they put a new u-joint on it and it drove great for like 2 days. Then the vibration stated again at around 80mph. Now it makes this popping noise in the right rear. I'm not sure if that's rear end related or possibly bad shocks. My car is lowered with stock shocks. I also hear this noise that sounds like a spool under the rear floorboard that seems to go away as it warms up. Maybe thats just the way the gears sound? It doesn't seem to be a problem but I'm really don't like that vibration thing.

Last edited by bitchin-ta; 01-20-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

If the vibration is MPH dependent..meaning regardless of what gear you are in the vibration happens at the same MPH everytime then it has to be a drive shaft issue(or tranny related). If your pinion angle is off or something is not aligned or bolted up correctly this can amplify the problem but it is still driveshaft related. Like was stated before, try rotating the driveshaft 180*(not 90* it wont bolt up that way he he) and give that a try. Worse case scenario you may have to get your driveshaft balanced then you can eliminate that part of the equation all together.

Double and triple check everything..is the rear end centered under the car? is the torque arm bolted on correctly(front and back)? is the pinion angle within reason? This is not an issue you want to let slide or learn to live with. It can severly shorten the life span of very important parts and may cause a catastrophy later down the road.

Josh

Quick Reply: Just installed Strange 12 bolt need help.