Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12 bolt, inner axle seal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange 12 bolt, inner axle seal?

Ive done alot of searching, and still havent came up with the correct seal!!

I just installed the timken set 20 axle bearings, as mine were going bad, but now I cant find a correct seal to work with them!!!

the measurements I have made on the seal I would need are

2.75 OD
2.375 ID about.. that would be slightly tight.

The id is off the sleeve that comes with the bearing set, and the OD ofcourse the end of the axle tube..

I have the old seal, the issue is that, the new sleeve on the Timken set 20, is about an 1/8 inch larger than the old, leaving the seal as the last issue??
Old 08-01-2010, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would call strange... i recently had to switch over some brakes and stuff on mine and i just called them for the parts i needed and they set me right up with what i needed.. every time iv called them they have been pretty helpful..
Old 08-01-2010, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

Called them on the bearing set, and he never mentioned needing different seals... I was just hoping someone might know off hand, so I could finish it up this weekend. If not I will be calling them again monday morning.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

in order to use the set 20 bearing and the inner seal, there is a special wedding ring they use. I have them in stock... only other way is to get in the seal parts book at your local store and use your id/od and try to find one that works.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Is the inner seal needed? or just optional? It looks like it seperates the grease, from the diff fluid??

thanks again
Old 08-03-2010, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Okay, wedding ring, is the retainer that gets pressed on with the bearing..

I was under the impression you were calling the seal, a wedding ring, for some reason. I called and ordered a set of seals and retainers "wedding rings", and had them shipped overnight to me, now I have to press the retainers that came with the Timken set 20 off, and install these from Strange, and should be good to go!! They told me that they make these retainers or "wedding rings" inhouse, so finding them at a local napa, isnt going to happen. I hope this is the last thing I need, so I can button this thing back up..

thanks for your help

Quick Reply: Strange 12 bolt, inner axle seal?