Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

after 148,000 miles my rear finally blew...what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after 148,000 miles my rear finally blew...what to do next?

as of last night my rear finally gave out, lasted alot longer then i expected

anyways i havent taken my car to a shop or popped the cover off the rear but based on what i heard which was a really loud boom and then loud grinding metal sound and my car shaking and hoping pretty violently when i had to park in a spot. i also put my car in park and it doesnt catch so i have to use the ebrake to hold it still.

anyways im on a lil budget and cant a afford a whole new or def setup at this moment, i guess im gonna keep the 10 bolt and housing and replace whatevers on the inside.

can you guys provide some insight on what i need? i know nothing about the rears about our cars...i just want this one rebuilt and done right so it can last me another 140k miles

ps..i have alot of mods/parts in my garage waiting to be installed prior to me blowing the rear...they are: lt headers, ls6 manifold, ls6 tb and a tr224 camshaft with all the valvetrain.....will my 10 bolt be able to hold this power down? im on stock 806 heads for a 98 z28
Old 08-04-2010, 01:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Auto or stick? Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

If your auto, id throw a Moser 12 bolt under it and be done with it. It will hold whatever you want and i don't think it would be that much more expensive than rebuilding yours depending on where you get it. Do you drive the car alot?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id say just get another 10 bolt, people are so quick to say go 12 bolt or 9 inch. if you go to the track a lot go for it, if not rebuild it using the small "strengthening" mods you can do (replace crush sleeve with solid pinion spacer, if you need axles get 28 spline, girdle, weld axle tubes)
Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HawaiianZ28Rider
as of last night my rear finally gave out, lasted alot longer then i expected

anyways i havent taken my car to a shop or popped the cover off the rear but based on what i heard which was a really loud boom and then loud grinding metal sound and my car shaking and hoping pretty violently when i had to park in a spot. i also put my car in park and it doesnt catch so i have to use the ebrake to hold it still.

anyways im on a lil budget and cant a afford a whole new or def setup at this moment, i guess im gonna keep the 10 bolt and housing and replace whatevers on the inside.

can you guys provide some insight on what i need? i know nothing about the rears about our cars...i just want this one rebuilt and done right so it can last me another 140k miles

ps..i have alot of mods/parts in my garage waiting to be installed prior to me blowing the rear...they are: lt headers, ls6 manifold, ls6 tb and a tr224 camshaft with all the valvetrain.....will my 10 bolt be able to hold this power down? im on stock 806 heads for a 98 z28
Based on the above, I assume it is an AUTO.

I want to know the answer to his questions as well, although mine is M6.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've got a nice used set of genuine GM 3.73 gears for your car. Where in PA are you located? If you pull the rear end I'll rebuild it for ya
Old 08-06-2010, 03:37 AM
Launching!

yes its an AUTO and its also my dd about 200-250 every week...im located in the bucks county area...right now i haven it looked at by specialty transmission shop at no charge and their pretty good guys who know their stuff...ill keep you guys posted on what went wrong or IS wrong and hopefully it can be fixed soon...im going away to school soon which is why money is so tight, tons of ppl tell me to get a 9inch or a 12 bolt but honestly i cant dish out that money...yet
Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by HawaiianZ28Rider
yes its an AUTO and its also my dd about 200-250 every week...im located in the bucks county area...right now i haven it looked at by specialty transmission shop at no charge and their pretty good guys who know their stuff...ill keep you guys posted on what went wrong or IS wrong and hopefully it can be fixed soon...im going away to school soon which is why money is so tight, tons of ppl tell me to get a 9inch or a 12 bolt but honestly i cant dish out that money...yet
Let us know what you find out. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website