Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

fabricated rear vs. stamped rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010 | 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default fabricated rear vs. stamped rear

My main question is, are fabricated rear ends "stronger" than stamped rear ends? I'm looking to buy a new rear end and have settled on a 9", however I can't decide whether to go with a fabricated rear end from Midwest Customs or a Moser 9". What is the biggest difference between a fabricated and a stamped rear? Can one hold up to abuse better than the other? Does one hold more differential fluid than the other? Thanks for any input.

Also, I hope sponsors chime in on this, and if they do, PLEASE say something more than "ours is best". Please tell me why yours is best with concrete facts and examples other than just statements. Thank you!

Last edited by BlackBirds; 08-19-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2010 | 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

I pick MWC because with the standard option and the few i added was not that much more than a standard stamp 9 inch housing. The MWC is lighter and can be close to the stock 10 bolt weight with the appropiate parts. And also would say it is stronger because they way they are designed and built. Seen several stamp housing with the back brace that do fine under some real fast cars also. But have to give it up to MWC for theres looks cooler if that counts.lol I am sure Eric or Jason for MWC with chime in. And the customer service is great with those guys too. I call them all the time asking crap and probly more of a pest but they always get me squared away.

Last edited by Zmg00camaross; 08-20-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2010 | 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

I like to look at it this way. The MWC rear is lighter than the standard Moser 9 It comes with a Torque arm and has many standard items that are options on the Moser rear. Plus it is a very nice peice.
Old 08-19-2010 | 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

Really the only main thign that I have seen over the stamped and the fab rear ends is that the fab rear ends are back braced to prevent the axle deflection which causes the axles to break. Fab rears normally have a beefier axle tube and axle flanges. I bet you can do really well with a stamp, back braced, nodular case you will be more than safe. The MWC RE is a great thing I have one will I ever break it highly doubtful, I am sure it would handle handle well of what I have and continue to keep going.
Old 08-19-2010 | 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

MWC I have seen the quality of pieces they put out and I have seem some nasty launches with plenty of power..

They are awesome with answering questions as well.. I wrote them a while back..and i am just saving up for it..
Old 08-20-2010 | 05:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

The Moser M9 is a fabricated rear as well. Here is a link to where I sell it on my website.
The Moser M9 housings are made from 1/8" thick laser cut mild steel, which is fabricated from one Triangulated piece of metal (not a bunch of pieces welded together) and combined with a 3/8" thick face plate.
The price includes shipping in the 48 main states. Bob http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...y-Complete.htm

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-20-2010 | 06:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for adding that option Bob, I'm assuming since you went right to the M9 and didn't bring up the stamped Moser 9", then fabricated rears must be in some way better than the stamped versions. Do the fabricated rears have the same or better pinion support than the stamped 9"? This is one major reason I'm going with a 9" and not a 12 bolt.

The main thing I'm looking for is why would someone want to go with a fabricated rear end over a stamped or vice versa.
Old 08-20-2010 | 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

im waiting on Eric from MWC to chime in... i couldnt be happier with my fabbed 9" from him
Old 08-20-2010 | 07:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RsSean
Really the only main thign that I have seen over the stamped and the fab rear ends is that the fab rear ends are back braced to prevent the axle deflection which causes the axles to break.
FWI the back brace is an option on the MWC rear it isn't standard
Old 08-20-2010 | 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to change the subject or highjack, but i've heard good things about the S60 from Strange. Yeah its heavier, but you'll NEVER have to worry about breaking it, and from what i understand its available with 4 channel, and is a direct drop in, other than needing to shorten your driveshaft, which i believe you have to do with most rear ends. And the price isnt too bad either. Just throwing you another option to look at.
Old 08-20-2010 | 07:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
FWI the back brace is an option on the MWC rear it isn't standard
Yup! I know. But eric pretty much presuedes everyone to get it.
Old 08-20-2010 | 08:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
thanks for adding that option Bob, I'm assuming since you went right to the M9 and didn't bring up the stamped Moser 9", then fabricated rears must be in some way better than the stamped versions. Do the fabricated rears have the same or better pinion support than the stamped 9"? This is one major reason I'm going with a 9" and not a 12 bolt.

The main thing I'm looking for is why would someone want to go with a fabricated rear end over a stamped or vice versa.
With the stamped housing you don't need a back brace until you are running into the 8's in the 1/4. With the fabricated rear I recommend a backbrace no matter what the horsepower is.

Pinion supports are in the center section, and these rears can take any nine inch center section.

Weight, the Moser M9 is the same weight as the 10 bolt, and the awesome torque arm that comes with it. My Z28 cut 1.29 60 ft times with it, with a shot converter. Thanks. Bob

Old 08-20-2010 | 08:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Not to change the subject or highjack, but i've heard good things about the S60 from Strange. Yeah its heavier, but you'll NEVER have to worry about breaking it, and from what i understand its available with 4 channel, and is a direct drop in, other than needing to shorten your driveshaft, which i believe you have to do with most rear ends. And the price isnt too bad either. Just throwing you another option to look at.
The Moser nine inch rears are available with both 3 and 4 channel options, and don't require a shortened driveshaft. Bob

Old 08-20-2010 | 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

to the OP(and others) wanting the facts...
the difference is basically this... stamped housings are less costly to produce and are *usually*sufficient for the job if properly built(you will never see a stamped housing in Pro Stock and even any more Top Sportsman), fabricated housings are the wave of the future due to the lack of salvage yard cores and the cost to make them usable. the fab housings are stronger at the same weight, or as strong with being lighter. its called strength by design. most stamped housings do not have internal gusseting where the fab units do, but there is also difference in the fab housing construction between the various manufacturers. in the f-body world, the MWC 9" and Moser M9(their real fab unit-not stamped) both include a housing mounted torque arm that will clear the driveshaft tunnel much better than any manufacturers standard 9 inch setup with a stock configuration torque arm bolted to an adapter. this type of torque arm setup on a 9 inch will hit the driveshaft tunnel, even at stock ride height and will require clearancing. it is known that the bracket will actually punch a hole in the floor if it is not properly clearanced after install.

Over the years of building cars I have used several different housings from stock stamped to new stamped to fab units from the likes of CA Chassisworks(the trademarked FAB9 name), Alston, Mittler Bros, Comp Engineering, Quartermax, etc. there were some good ones, and some not so good, but in every case there was a feature or two that I thought could be better, hence the birth of the Midwest Chassis & Performance, Inc line of fabricated 9 inch rearends. I could go on and on about why ours are better, but no need to start a shouting match with the haters.

the things that really need to be considered when making a purchase are bang for the buck and quality. consider the little things if you are looking into a rearend that will be a true bolt-in and not something you have to purchase hardware store or parts store items, use zip ties to hold your brake lines on, or the little things that you cant even buy to be able to install it in your car with little effort. sure you can cut off parts from your stock rearend to weld on to your new one, but when you're spending 2500 plus why should you have to? The MWC rearends have the most extensive list of options(including abs/tcs, lightweight components, complete assembly, etc) to really make the rearend custom to your needs. you also need to be cautious of shops that use a stamped housing from a manufacturer, cut off the back cover and install a formed sheetmetal "cap" and then call it a "fabricated" rearend when it is far from a true fabricated housing.

We here at MWC are racers and fabricators, we do this stuff every day and race on weekends, testing the exact same parts we sell to you guys. when you call and speak with us, you are talking to the guys that designed, build, weld, and assemble what you get. one thing about us is that we are direct vendors for Strange, Moser, Yukon, AFCO, FK Bearing, PST Driveline, and so on. we custom build what you need for your specific application, not just one application or manufacturer. we incorporate a variety of parts to make a combination that is super strong, lightweight, reliable, and affordable. in the end when you compare apples to apples you will find that the MWC fabricated 9 inch package is by far the best value. if for some reason you feel it is out of your league, then we are more than happy to get you into a rearend from Strange or Moser, and at the best prices there too.

Last edited by ssvert99; 08-20-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2010 | 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

stamped moser housing with back brace worked just fine for me...and I make above average horsepower
Old 08-25-2010 | 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

midwest hands down! give Eric a call he will set you up.
Old 08-25-2010 | 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

already have! ordered my fabbed 9" yesterday
Old 08-25-2010 | 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Smart man!
Old 08-25-2010 | 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
already have! ordered my fabbed 9" yesterday
I amsumeing from MWC
Old 08-26-2010 | 06:21 PM