Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

PST Driveshaft 1200hp. Nope. Twisted Yoke!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Razmiblackz28
Well, Guess who got another CAM 789 yoke to replace the twisted yoke.
I very shocked that they didn't atleast replace those who twist them with a Spicer yoke but guess business is business.
Anyone want a PST Aluminum driveshaft?
1200hp rated, new yoke!
Did you ask them if you can purchase an upgraded yoke? They do have other options available if you are maxing out the current one they sold you. Or discussed what your combo is and their suggestions?

I sell at least one PST drive shaft a day to customers and yet to have an issue with any of them. They make a very good product and stand behind what they sell and as you can see if it fails they take care of you.

That is very good business.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked mine tonight and it says Spicer. I bought it towards the end of 2007 or early 2008.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Razmiblackz28
Well, Guess who got another CAM 789 yoke to replace the twisted yoke.
I very shocked that they didn't atleast replace those who twist them with a Spicer yoke but guess business is business.
Anyone want a PST Aluminum driveshaft?
1200hp rated, new yoke!

I knew that was going to happen.... It's the fractional effect...

It probably happened to every other shaft they made with that junk also...

It only becomes apparent when you take the shaft out...

Or

Suddenly develop a need for suspension travel....

How would you know you have twisted it if it is never moved, especially in this style where the shaft only moves fore and aft when being removed from the car..
Could be a bunch more with the same problem...

USE a shop that doesn't support ruining this country having US products copied in china, cost them a few dollars and then give it to you as if it's worth anything....

Demand the right stuff....

Make it here.....

Midwest you are funny, but let me fix that statement you gave him...

"They stand behind the china junk, by sending you another when it fails, to repeat the process over and over again"

lol that sure is standing behind your stuff....
Old 10-09-2010, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Very true on inferior materials used here from there. And any competent drive shaft shop can build you one to the same tolerance or better. PST is a nice drive shaft. But I'd be pissed if my yoke took a twist and if they ignore it.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Supershafts
I knew that was going to happen.... It's the fractional effect...

It probably happened to every other shaft they made with that junk also...

It only becomes apparent when you take the shaft out...

Or

Suddenly develop a need for suspension travel....

How would you know you have twisted it if it is never moved, especially in this style where the shaft only moves fore and aft when being removed from the car..
Could be a bunch more with the same problem...

USE a shop that doesn't support ruining this country having US products copied in china, cost them a few dollars and then give it to you as if it's worth anything....

Demand the right stuff....

Make it here.....

Midwest you are funny, but let me fix that statement you gave him...

"They stand behind the china junk, by sending you another when it fails, to repeat the process over and over again"

lol that sure is standing behind your stuff....

We have used PST drive shafts in our own personal vehicles with out issue and have gone bottom 10's high 9's with them and they have since been pulled out with no issue at all.

Again you can buy an upgraded yoke from PST if you so desire, that is why they have different price levels like every other company out there. They are doing what it takes to help fit everyone's budget and in this economy that is definitely needed.

If you look at the number they sell to the number of issues you read about I would say they produce a great product at a very affordable price. An the fact they stand behind their product if it fails is another plus.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Restricted User

Mid and you may have been using the non china parts shafts in your cars

Mid....they sold Razmiblackz28 a shaft rated to 1200 hp...... (unless im wrong Razmiblackz28 will clarify)

nothing from china stands up to 1200hp....

I wouldn't put china in a shaft making 700hp

Razmiblackz28 what material, series and what was the cost of that 1200 hp shaft.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Please do not throw out assumptions of what you assume we have. We get the same shafts we sell our customers from PST. We keep these shafts in stock and walk over and grab them off the shelf for our shop cars. Like stated we also have a spicer yoke floating around the shop some were that has twisted splines an came off a vehicle making no more than 450whp.

The problem is, things can go wrong. What you need to look at when buying performance parts is the customer service afterwords.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My Z28 has a PST 3-1/2 alum driveshaft in it, never had a problem with it. I have sold a boatload of these driveshafts too, and I've had a few customers twist the splines. Why, who knows, things happen. PST has always taken care of them for me. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-09-2010, 08:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Supershafts
Mid and you may have been using the non china parts shafts in your cars

Mid....they sold Razmiblackz28 a shaft rated to 1200 hp...... (unless im wrong Razmiblackz28 will clarify)

nothing from china stands up to 1200hp....

I wouldn't put china in a shaft making 700hp

Razmiblackz28 what material, series and what was the cost of that 1200 hp shaft.

this is getting old in a hurry. maybe you should drop the dime here like the rest of us and start selling your shafts and knowledge if everyone else's here is so inferior.

Strange and Moser both have some of the best parts in the business. do they have occasional failure issues... of course. its a matter of taking care of your customer if there are issues and try to make sure that customer has the correct parts for their application from there on out.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Good thing im going with a straight 1350 yoke :s i dont need it. just making it gorilla proof.

OP you should look into it if all else fails
Old 10-10-2010, 03:23 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
Please do not throw out assumptions of what you assume we have. We get the same shafts we sell our customers from PST. We keep these shafts in stock and walk over and grab them off the shelf for our shop cars. Like stated we also have a spicer yoke floating around the shop some were that has twisted splines an came off a vehicle making no more than 450whp.

The problem is, things can go wrong. What you need to look at when buying performance parts is the customer service afterwords.
Things can go wrong, but calling a china copy a performance part...

You guys are in the motorsports end of the business and don't see a problem here!?!

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed

My Z28 has a PST 3-1/2 alum driveshaft in it, never had a problem with it. I have sold a boatload of these driveshafts too, and I've had a few customers twist the splines. Why, who knows, things happen. PST has always taken care of them for me. Bob
Of the few customers that twisted splines you never questioned why the china parts...
You are in the motorsports end of business also...

What are you going to say to the customer that has one shatter as he slams 4th gear....and the tail housing comes apart....oh yeah the loop might keep the shaft there, but what about the fluid getting to the tires....

They got great customer service...here is another china inferior performance product...... of well they won't cover the car or your medical expenses.... they gladly gave you another inferior part...

Originally Posted by ssvert99
this is getting old in a hurry. maybe you should drop the dime here like the rest of us and start selling your shafts and knowledge if everyone else's here is so inferior.

Strange and Moser both have some of the best parts in the business. do they have occasional failure issues... of course. its a matter of taking care of your customer if there are issues and try to make sure that customer has the correct parts for their application from there on out.
I am giving away free knowledge, what you do with it is up to you... maybe i should be paid for the knowledge..

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Good thing im going with a straight 1350 yoke :s i dont need it. just making it gorilla proof.

OP you should look into it if all else fails
He is/was using a china made 1350 series yoke...
Old 10-10-2010, 08:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

FYI. I wasn't aware of PST using Chinese knock-offs as you are claiming they are until this thread. I sent this thread to Mark at PST on Oct 4th. Bob

Old 10-10-2010, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

I twisted 2 spicer yokes and one broke the tailshaft housing off the back of the trans. I now have a chromemoly yoke and knock on wood its still in there.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Supershafts what do you have on your F-Body for a yoke? Other wise it just looks like you are here to bash on other companies while trying to soak up some free advertising with out paying the fee all of the others have to pay.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by cabel1
I twisted 2 spicer yokes and one broke the tailshaft housing off the back of the trans. I now have a chromemoly yoke and knock on wood its still in there.
You have a picture of the spicer yoke?

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
Supershafts what do you have on your F-Body for a yoke? Other wise it just looks like you are here to bash on other companies while trying to soak up some free advertising with out paying the fee all of the others have to pay.
I use all spicer in my stuff, except for some of the AL stuff which i use alcoa AL parts and also spicer AL parts...

Im not looking for any free adv... or looking for anything... a post came up, i seen the china yoke... told you whats what...

I don't want anything from this board. Where the hell do you see me bashing pst, the china yoke yes..
Bashing pst, please man c'mon, you should be asking them to not use china stuff in racing conditions....bashing...
I happen to be in the driveline business and bringing up FACT, and im bashing... just dying to silence me... maybe the admin will find a loop hole to silence me so no one has to use better stuff...

Better question is, why your concerns about the safety of a product are non existent ?

A slip yoke screw up once, you seriously look into it, why, how come, was it wrong, improper fit, damaged...and you replace it... I agree definitely the right thing to do, but also finding out why in the mean time and calling the customer back with a answer to what happened the 1st time.....
When you have thousands of people using it and one screws up in 35 years....there are questions, when a few screw up within the amount of time china has been copying spicer stuff.... YOU DROP IT, like a bad habit...it happens twice....it happens 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 20 times.... do i have to say it out loud....

How long has china been copying the driveline business now, lets see, im going to say 5 or 6 years now, that i remember the 1st contact of a salesman for it...
In 5 years how many slip yokes and weld yokes and joints are improperly machined and poor quality. it might be acceptable for a commuter car...though i have reservations about that too.

Last edited by Supers; 10-10-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Restricted User

When a forum becomes censored of what it can and can't discuss and doesn't allow discussion of all things equally, it's no longer a good forum.

Im not here selling anyone anything, in fact i do not want to sell anyone anything. i have work in the shop i don't need work time now...

I may be guilty of bringing peoples attention to L.I.M.A. and that is not anything for the forum to have any negative feelings about..

Answer a few posts that i can with the correct info... point out issues, show a problem...

Show a picture and i see china junk in it, be preparred to hear me say what it is...
Old 10-10-2010, 09:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

No one is brushing anything aside. We have just stated that we sell their product and a lot of it and not seen a problem to date. We have seen problems with the spicer in the past how ever.

If we did not want to hear about issue of a product we sell we would have not opened the thread. Learning from things good or bad just helps a company grow and better serve their customer. Also like I mentioned to the original poster that PST can get them into a upgraded yoke to possibly help solve other issues in the future.

Supershafts I guess it is kind of you to be on here just to spread your knowledge and not looking for anything in return.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

My PST 3.5 has the CAM yoke as well,guys thank you for making me aware of this.What would be a good yoke and U joint to run in a 700rwhp 6 speed....?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

wait... if these are rated to 1200 hp with the limited lifetime warranty and they sent him another CAM yoke,what are the chances of it happening again?I dont think it would need an "upgraded" yoke if rated to 1200 hp am I wrong? someone please explain.Bob and Eric Help us out

Last edited by gjohnsonws6; 10-11-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
wait... if these are rated to 1200 hp with the limited lifetime warranty and they sent him another CAM yoke,what are the chances of it happening again?I dont think it would need an "upgraded" yoke if rated to 1200 hp am I wrong? someone please explain.Bob and Eric Help us out
I have forwarded a link to this thread to Mark, the owner of PST so that he could see what is going on. If PST started using CAM yokes to save money, they need to go back to Spicer right away. Bob

Quick Reply: PST Driveshaft 1200hp. Nope. Twisted Yoke!