Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

REAR END SHOPPING 750+WHP Q"s

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the drivetrain losses are a wash... I guarantee you will not see a bit of difference in et's. the 9" is less efficient due to its lower pinion center, the S60 is heavier rotating mass. if one were better everyone would use it. I can tell you right now you will never see a D60 rearend in a Pro Stock car, and they can have anything they want cost wise.

for the f-body application the S60 is the most cost efficient for the strength. a 9 inch truetrac will not hold up in some cars to where the 35 spline truetrac that comes standard in the street version S60 has never had issues. the S60 will not have driveshaft tunnel clearance issues but the standard Moser 9 will. about any 9 inch will be lighter than the S60 though. there are good's and bad's about both of them. in all honesty, the fabricated 9 inch package has the best features, lightest weight, best availability of gear ratios, no tunnel clearance issues, but it is one of the more costly. there's reasons behind why our 9 inch package has become the most popular now

call us if you have time and let me explain the differences in all of them and go over your options. I don't sugarcoat anything and have the knowledge with experience to back it all up.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give you a call Monday!
Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Launching!

So I was thinking a s60 was a good idea until if found out I cant go smaller the a 3.5? gear ratio

I need a 3.23 or 3.08 GRGRRRRR
Old 11-03-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better call strange and have them build you a s61 JK Im sure a few people will get that one
Old 11-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Launching!

no doubt! lol It is "STRANGE" that they dont offer more of a selection for gear ratios
Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well for the best of both worlds, use the 3.55 gears in the rear end and add a gear vendor setup to your trans. I believe they are good to 1500hp.

I used one on my 67 camaro making 950hp and running in the 9's @ 138mph. It worked slick at the drag track and the road course on long straights and will give you a .70 trans ratio in the first extra od and a .55 in 8th gear.

With 26 inch tires that would get you 187mph and 201mph with 28 inch tires, if your engine will pull it. I think you said you were going to use a 4L60 trans? A built 4l80 would handle that kind of power, but I don't see a 60 being able to.

The gv unit works slick, just hit a button that can be put anywhere, and the shift is instantaneous. It splits the gears making your 4 speed in to an 8 speed and keeps your r's in the powerband, along with making it cruise at a nice low r, and you can switch it off/on anytime.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Launching!

I had a Gear Vendors in this car already I hated it sorry... but thanks for the idea...
Old 11-07-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

I would like the answer to that question as well. I too like the wavetrack but cant argue with the price of the s60
Old 11-07-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

kinda like do you like the Camaro or Firebird better?

I went with the s60 because of its fit and the price plus it looks like it belongs in the car.

I could care less about the s60 having less power loss out of the two its just a nice thing if it even made a difference.

if I had a track only car or something along those lines then the 9"'s removable center would be they way to go. it just makes sense from a racing teams stand point but even then its not cheap because you would want setup centers ready to go $$$$ but for a street/strip car that wont see many if any gear swaps why??
Old 11-08-2010, 12:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
if I had a track only car or something along those lines then the 9"'s removable center would be they way to go. it just makes sense from a racing teams stand point but even then its not cheap because you would want setup centers ready to go $$$$ but for a street/strip car that wont see many if any gear swaps why??
That is one positive aspect of the 9". Easier gear swaps, more center section choices, less weight if you do a fabricated housing.

Keep in mind we sell Strange products an especially the S60 along with selling our own fabricated nine inch. By the time you purchase a S60 and then buy an after market torque arm you are talking the same kind of money.

I have a lot of customers that call me wanting a Strange or even a Moser set up and by the time I give them the price of the two with a torque arm and cross member to go with the order they realize they are talking the same money as our fabricated nine inch housing and torque arm package.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
That is one positive aspect of the 9". Easier gear swaps, more center section choices, less weight if you do a fabricated housing.

Keep in mind we sell Strange products an especially the S60 along with selling our own fabricated nine inch. By the time you purchase a S60 and then buy an after market torque arm you are talking the same kind of money.

I have a lot of customers that call me wanting a Strange or even a Moser set up and by the time I give them the price of the two with a torque arm and cross member to go with the order they realize they are talking the same money as our fabricated nine inch housing and torque arm package.
This is why I went with the fab 9. Mainly its lighter than an S60 but still very strong. I needed a torque arm, I like how their torque arm mounts to the rear better than the Moser 9, the MWC torque arm is lighter & overall their fab 9 is similar in weight to a 10 bolt. The MWC rear also comes with the LCA relocation brackets predrilled, includes drain & fill plugs (unlike Moser) & everyone says its the most direct bolt in rear end. After reading how happy MWC customers were with their product I had to buy from them.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis

I've been weighing these options for a while...the fab 9 may be the same price by the time you add a torque arm to the S60. But if you take into account the strength difference between the truetrac in the S60, and any posi that isn't a wavetrack in the 9 inch, and then compare price, the S60 wins that battle.

I'd much rather have the MWC fab 9...its amazing and worth every penny, but i'm pretty much settling on the S60 strictly because of strength vs price.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The Moser M9 is shipped out just two days after the order is received, and with an aluminum center it weighs the same as the 10 bolt rear.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...y-Complete.htm
Link to the Moser M9 from my website.

My Z28 received the very first Moser F Body M9 made. It was cutting 1.29 60ft times on M/T dot drag radials with a torn up torque converter and a Powerglide transmission! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Last edited by Bob@BruteSpeed; 04-28-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by N01SS
I've been weighing these options for a while...the fab 9 may be the same price by the time you add a torque arm to the S60. But if you take into account the strength difference between the truetrac in the S60, and any posi that isn't a wavetrack in the 9 inch, and then compare price, the S60 wins that battle.

I'd much rather have the MWC fab 9...its amazing and worth every penny, but i'm pretty much settling on the S60 strictly because of strength vs price.
We can put a Trutrac into one of our fabricated housings or a Detroit locker and our billet clutch posi has held together for vehicles making in the upper 550 range and possibly more for the customers that already have them and are possibly making more hp now.

When you are ready to order an S60 let me know we try to match if not beat anyone's prices on them and Moser product as well.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
This is why I went with the fab 9. Mainly its lighter than an S60 but still very strong. I needed a torque arm, I like how their torque arm mounts to the rear better than the Moser 9, the MWC torque arm is lighter & overall their fab 9 is similar in weight to a 10 bolt. The MWC rear also comes with the LCA relocation brackets predrilled, includes drain & fill plugs (unlike Moser) & everyone says its the most direct bolt in rear end. After reading how happy MWC customers were with their product I had to buy from them.
There is a reason we have a waiting list for our housings, sure we can get you an S60 or a Moser rear end as we are direct with both, but who wants to be limited to just certain items when spending this kind of money?

That is our biggest appeal is we can build a rear end based off your wants and needs and that is how all money should be spent when building your vehicle.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Launching!

I'm still kicking this around... I've desided on the wavetrack. The new one... but then do I do the custom 9 or a regular 9... does anyone make a gear that falls inbetween a 3.08 and a 3.23? like a 3.14 I've wondered about some custom gear sets! Customer service is huge on a deal like this and price as well! I'm ready to make a deal with some one... Just waiting for one to seem like a better deal...

Last edited by CARFREAKS; 03-20-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by CARFREAKS
I'm still kicking this around... I've desided on the wavetrack. The new one... but then do I do the custom 9 or a regular 9... does anyone make a gear that falls inbetween a 3.08 and a 3.23? like a 3.14 I've wondered about some custom gear sets! Customer service is huge on a deal like this and price as well! I'm ready to make a deal with some one... Just waiting for one to seem like a better deal...
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...h-Wavetrac.htm
Standard Moser 9 inch

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...y-Complete.htm
Moser M9 (fabricated rear)

Both of the above rears start with a 3.25 gear, but can be had with a 3.00 gear. There isn't anything offered between a 3.00 and a 3.25.
You can take any additional $100.00 off the price if you wire transfer us the money, and these rears are shipped out in two days! Bob

Old 03-21-2011, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Wavetrac has since gone to the new design as Moser has sold the last of the old design off. As far as gear sets you are not going to see a ton of RPM difference between a 3.14 to a 3.25 or vice versus to a 3.14 to a 3.00.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Launching!

With the wave trac you need to keep all the ABS right.?.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

With the wave trac you need to keep all the ABS right.?.
You don't need to keep it, but you can if you want to. Bob

Quick Reply: REAR END SHOPPING 750+WHP Q"s