Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Drive line Vvvvvvibrrratttttion. Exhausting my options

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyfred
I am fighting the same type of issue in 99 WS6 with a new 9" rearend.

Have done what you have done, but added one more step to the list, slipped a yoke in the back into trans. (Put grease on the splines to prevent the yoke from coming out, no driveshaft attached to yoke.)

Brought the motor up with trans in gear to the mph where I am having the vibration, bearing sound. Repeated several times. Still have the issue, kicked into neutral vibration goes away. In the car I am working on, it may be a trans issue.
Sounds like an output shaft bushing. I'm working on gettin my DS balanced here soon....... then i guess i can check that off the list
Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt feel like reading through the whole thread but I wanted to offer up some insight to your situation so I apologize if you already tried this. I dont know what driveshaft you have, you said you bought another one from a member on here? Is it longer than stock? A buddy of mine bought a 9inch like 3 years ago and had driveline vibrations and couldnt figure it out for the life of him (Hes a mechanic with access to a lift and everything so you could only imagine how much time he put in to try and figure it out) It turns out after much anger and frustration and damage to his tailshaft, that the driveshaft he bought with his rear from the company that makes the rear, was too short. The driveshaft needed to be around an inch longer to compensate for the different location of the pinion yoke....So again if this was already said I apologize and if not I hope it helped.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silversrtman
I didnt feel like reading through the whole thread but I wanted to offer up some insight to your situation so I apologize if you already tried this. I dont know what driveshaft you have, you said you bought another one from a member on here? Is it longer than stock? A buddy of mine bought a 9inch like 3 years ago and had driveline vibrations and couldnt figure it out for the life of him (Hes a mechanic with access to a lift and everything so you could only imagine how much time he put in to try and figure it out) It turns out after much anger and frustration and damage to his tailshaft, that the driveshaft he bought with his rear from the company that makes the rear, was too short. The driveshaft needed to be around an inch longer to compensate for the different location of the pinion yoke....So again if this was already said I apologize and if not I hope it helped.
Thanks for your insight. However, it is a stock length drive shaft, with a longer pinion yoke to compensate.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Restricted User

I didn't forget about you.... I should have something for you tomorrow...
Old 03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just found out a local (ish) shop has the capability to do what i need with the driveshaft. So i'll be getting that balanced before the end of the week. Also, called the gear manufacturer, and they said it sounds like the pinion stem is bent (crazy, but i guess its possible being used gears)

The moral of this story is:

DON"T BUY USED ****
Old 03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Restricted User

If the pinion is bent you can check that in the car...

As you went faster the vibe would get worse if the pin is bent..
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Restricted User

I concur, try not to buy used stuff, or china...

remember, No china
Old 03-10-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Supershafts
If the pinion is bent you can check that in the car...

As you went faster the vibe would get worse if the pin is bent..
It does get worse with speed. starts around 30 and by 55 its scary. took it to 70 once and thought it was gonna come through the floorboard

I concur, try not to buy used stuff, or china...

remember, No china
I don't if I can keep from it.

Worked on a toyota tacoma last weekend. Completely reinforced that. lol
Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Restricted User

Usually when the vibe just gets worse with speed and violent somethings bent, or way out of spec.

If they balance the shaft and it comes back without a few #6 weights on it, then the pinion or end yoke could be the issue
Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Usually when the vibe just gets worse with speed and violent somethings bent, or way out of spec.

If they balance the shaft and it comes back without a few #6 weights on it, then the pinion or end yoke could be the issue
They said the DS is done, just gotta go drive the 50 miles and pick it up

Hopefully know tomorrow night or so, def by the end of the weekend.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Found my vibration. Cracked pinion support bearing boss in the case, Hair line crack you can see when magnified. Replaced the case,carrier and pinion support bearings in the case and used 3.70 Yukon gear set we were using. Issue is gone.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Heyfred
Found my vibration. Cracked pinion support bearing boss in the case, Hair line crack you can see when magnified. Replaced the case,carrier and pinion support bearings in the case and used 3.70 Yukon gear set we were using. Issue is gone.
Glad to hear you found your problem. I should be going to get my driveshaft this afternoon, so I'll soon know where the problem lies. My money is on something in the third member though. Damn, really didn't wanna have to pull it a third time. I guess that's why they call it a "THIRD" member?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I got the DS back from the shop yesterday. I was bent! They straightened it out, and were able to balance it out.

THE VIBRATION PERSISTS

It starts at about 55, goes away at 60, and comes on like a demon at 65 and feels like something is going to explode at 80. I'm all out of ideas. It has to be something in the third member, thats all there is to it.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
Well I got the DS back from the shop yesterday. I was bent! They straightened it out, and were able to balance it out.

THE VIBRATION PERSISTS

It starts at about 55, goes away at 60, and comes on like a demon at 65 and feels like something is going to explode at 80. I'm all out of ideas. It has to be something in the third member, thats all there is to it.
didn't you say that it might have a bent pinion shaft? did you check the run out?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Restricted User

So it changed, it was originally earlier and now it is higher...

Was the original issue starting much earlier, i still think that shaft has some more bs left in it..

How far out was the shaft ? did they tell you?

You can straighten them, but only to an extent, if it was beyond .090 than it won't get back to straight.

Why didn't they re-tube the shaft?

Is this stl or AL ?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Restricted User

Why didn't they do this while you were there with the car ?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
didn't you say that it might have a bent pinion shaft? did you check the run out?
Just picked up a dial indicator from a friend this evening, planning on doing that here shortly.

So it changed, it was originally earlier and now it is higher...

Was the original issue starting much earlier, i still think that shaft has some more bs left in it..

How far out was the shaft ? did they tell you?

You can straighten them, but only to an extent, if it was beyond .090 than it won't get back to straight.

Why didn't they re-tube the shaft?

Is this stl or AL ?
Chrome Moly shaft. Don't know how far out it was.

Why didn't they do this while you were there with the car ?
.... Because the car wasn't there.........
Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

checked the pinion runout. Its .006. I also checked the play in the slip yoke while its in the transmission. It came out to .015 - .020 depending on how hard i persuaded it. SO that crosses bent pinion off the list ( in my mind)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone close that has a camaro with a 9" in it that is working fine. See if you can swap drive shafts and see if vibration accurs.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 AM
11 Second Club

I have a PST Aluminum drive shaft that is about 1" longer over all to eliminate that Vibration. I have a vibration noise that is around 1500rpms but I think it's from the exhaust on low resonance causing that.

Not sure what DS you have but I made sure I bought one already spec'd out brand new. Sorry to hear about your issues. Hopefully I don't have any...

Quick Reply: Drive line Vvvvvvibrrratttttion. Exhausting my options