Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Drive line Vvvvvvibrrratttttion. Exhausting my options

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar situation with my stock RE. Put a set of Motive 4:10 in with new bearings and all of a sudden had a vibration at about 75mph. It wasn't to bad and I didn't worry about it much cause I was saving up for my 9". Anyways, got my 9", put it in and no more vibration. I used my stock DS with a conversion u-joint, my car is lowered 1 inch and my pinion angle is set at -2. My t-56 tail shaft is a little worn as well, I know because it leaks a little. My point is, if you changed something and then a problem developed, that is most likely where your problem is. I would try a compete different 3rd member if I were you. I know it is a chunk of cash but seriously, with all the time you have in it, whats the difference at this point? You could always sell it after you do your diag and find your problem. My bet is something in the 3rd member is your problem.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens at 120 mph....
Old 06-08-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I pulled the trans last weekend, and am in the process of replacing the output shaft bushing (tailshaft bushing). At this point, with a new driveshaft, pinion angle at -2*, pinion runout in spec, wheels / tires balanced, its really all that it could possibly be.

I'll probably just give up if it isn't. lol.

Seriously

Kidding.

I'll have more to report this weekend! wish me luck.

btw i'm using a Rockland Standard Gear "no walk" bushing. going to loctite and stake it, and pray.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a high speed vibe that kicked my *** for years. Went through the TS bushings, drive line angles, gears, drive shafts and basically every other thing you can imagine over and over again till I used Mr. Spocks Logic: Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

The problem was the T56 transmission mainshaft and 5/6 cluster gear. I repaired the tranny and the vibes are finally history.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I had a high speed vibe that kicked my *** for years. Went through the TS bushings, drive line angles, gears, drive shafts and basically every other thing you can imagine over and over again till I used Mr. Spocks Logic: Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

The problem was the T56 transmission mainshaft and 5/6 cluster gear. I repaired the tranny and the vibes are finally history.
Well that's a nice theory, but my transmission was just rebuilt about 1000 miles ago, and it never had a vibration until i changed my rear gears / driveshaft.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well bad news, I ruined the bushing upon installation. I guess this is a fairly common problem with these bushings? Apparently the ID of the tail cone bore is enough smaller than the OD of the bushing that it puts some serious stress on it, and causes it to bulge out into the oil slots in the housing.

Quick Reply: Drive line Vvvvvvibrrratttttion. Exhausting my options