Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear axle shaft loose and brake rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle shaft loose and brake rubbing

About a week ago I pulled out onto a street and the rear end slipped out on me spun around and the back left tire smacked the curb pretty hard(about a 6-7” tall curb) since then I have had a grinding sound coming from my rear left brake. The sound is not constant but is evenly timed and it gets faster and I speed up and slows down as my speed does so I know it is happing only at a certain rotation of the tire. And I bough a new rim and tire the day after because the rim got chipped from the hit so I know it doesn’t have anything to do with the rim.

I replaced the rotor and pads yesterday hoping the rotor had warped but no luck. I pulled it off again to today to go through it and my brand new rotor with less than 5 miles on it has noticeable grooves on it on the far outer edge for about 6in.

While I was replacing everything I noticed I am able to grab the hub and move it back and forth maybe 1/16-1/8th of an inch in and out. I am thinking that this is causing the grinding sound.

With this info does it sound like the C-lock from the axle shaft has been loosened or possible a blow axle shaft bearing? Would a blown bearing cause the axleshaft to be loose?
Thanks Chris
Old 10-26-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

The axle is probably bent from hitting the curb and thats why the brakes are rubbing too
Old 10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

The axle will normally move in and out a very small amount, at least on my rear it does and I just changed the axle bearings. Did you have someone follow you to see if the wheel wobbles or jack up the car and spin the wheel to see.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Yes the axle will move slightly.
Do what Mohican said to see if the axles bent but i think bigj pretty much sumed it up.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Teching In

I had the car jacked up and was able to wobble the tire a little bit by pushing on the top of the tire while it was off the ground. Also I was only able to do it when the tire was in a certain position. And I was not able to move the axle shaft on the pass. side at all
Old 10-26-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best way to tell is pull off the wheel, reinstall the lugnuts tight against the rotor. they dont need 100+ftlbs but good and snug so thery dont fly off while you have the axle in gear spinning you will need to look for your caliper sliding in and out as the bent hub moves the rotor in and out. you wont see the wheel move enough unless its very very bent

i know this from checking out a car with a squeek in the rear brakes.. and thats what it was and how i found it

I was thinking since you have marks it might be hitting the caliper bracket if thats the case its bent enough you can spin by hand with the lugnuts against the rotor looking for it to contact

Last edited by 89 formula350; 10-26-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear axle shaft loose and brake rubbing