Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end? brake noise? newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end? brake noise? newb questions

hey guys just joined here i posted this on another section and realized i messed up and shoulda put it here.. anyway ive owned 5 camaro's just picked up my new DD its a 02 z28 silver t top auto with 72k miles.... just got it yesterday...when it gets here i go to drive it and it's making a TERRIBLE grinding noise from the rear....it sounds louder as i drive up to 45 or so and slows down when i slow down...as i'm braking and almost to a stop i can hear a little metal on metal in my brakes but i don't see how it could be SO LOUD. i'ts very very noticeable and i'm afraid to drive it....please tell me it's not my rearend. when my jeep's rearend went out it was howling, and whinning...this has no howl or whine to it its a GRIND.. please help thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search... You'll find TONS of posts and threads about rearend and other noises. Short of having someone look and hear your car in person, you shouldn't expect a definitive answer with "grinding" as a symptom.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
do a search... You'll find TONS of posts and threads about rearend and other noises. Short of having someone look and hear your car in person, you shouldn't expect a definitive answer with "grinding" as a symptom.

dude come on there's lots of threads to search yes, but none i see sound like my issue,....has anyone else had this sound....a terrible grind, is that a rear end sign? or do they only whine?? should i be able to feel any play in rear while im driving if it's going bad? i'm hoping so much its my brakes or some other little issue but surely someone's heard a loud grind ........i took the car for a drive and it gets louder as i get to about 40 then slows down as i slow down...if i slow down using brakes it almost gets worse...if i coast to a stop it somewhat goes away, not totally but not as bad as if i brake it...
Old 10-31-2010, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

You didn't notice that when you test drove it? Sounds like it could be a brake issue since you said it gets worse when braking. Check the oil level in the rear end just to make sure it is full. The bearings would have to be really bad to make the kind of noise you described.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd jack up the rear and put jack stands under the rear, then put the car in gear and see if you can tell where the sound is coming from. It is a good idea to have someone stay in the drivers seat while you do this. As has been mentioned, check the fluid level of the rear. It is very common for the pinion seal to leak and the rear may not have any gear oil in it at all. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website