Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Your Experience with Midwest Chassis Fab 9"

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Your Experience with Midwest Chassis Fab 9"

How was your experience with these rear ends, how well built are they, strength, how reliable, noise, vibration, and if it broke at what hp did it break?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I know Andy LOVES his and has had no problems. Really impressed with the weight(a tad heavier than a ten bolt)

http://www.diabloformularacing.com/
Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Love mine I would order another if I had to. I am not worried about it breaking, There are some really fast cars running a stamp 9 inch housing so I am not worried about it at all. Noises it does have some rattle, gear noise which wasnt built by them, some clanks, But has Rod ends and should just be known they will make noise once in awhile and who cares not me. So I really wouldnt worry about strenth and beenin reliable. Dont know why it wouldnt be reliable its a rear end.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys but I decided on going for something a little beefier just to have some growing room, a Strange S60 from Central racing parts cause they have a special for ls1tech members.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

You think you will break a 9 inch? S60 strong yes heavy as hell, Yes, I know you can get a S60 at a damn good price and one on sale would be even better.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
You think you will break a 9 inch? S60 strong yes heavy as hell, Yes, I know you can get a S60 at a damn good price and one on sale would be even better.
Not right now right now, but I'm doing an LQ4 swap in December, and I'm gonna start turbocharging it around mid to late January so I want all my drivetrain components to be completely beefed up. I've spent a little over two years saving up for this build so I'm reinforcing what I can just for peace of mind, besides 2392 SHIPPED for a new S60 built to your specs is pretty hard to beat
Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Price is very hard to beat
Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Price is very hard to beat
Exactly I was checking with other companies and a 12 bolt just with some of my options with weaker axles was running me 2800+ before shipping.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TrippyJoey
Exactly I was checking with other companies and a 12 bolt just with some of my options with weaker axles was running me 2800+ before shipping.
Just call around and see if you can get a better price? Maybe they will price match and get even more. But the old S60 is a heavy ****.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, I went with him too.. his customer service is #1 the fit of the s60 is great! lines right up! the 12bolt isnt even an option imop just the 9" and s60

I figured mines overkill and heavy but I will say It looks like it belongs under the car. and I know I have room to grow HP wise
Old 11-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
yep, I went with him too.. his customer service is #1 the fit of the s60 is great! lines right up! the 12bolt isnt even an option imop just the 9" and s60

I figured mines overkill and heavy but I will say It looks like it belongs under the car. and I know I have room to grow HP wise
Exactly I can be 100% sure that it will take whatever I throw at it and if it breaks well I should be proud my car can generate enough torque to do that
Old 11-10-2010, 11:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by TrippyJoey
Not right now right now, but I'm doing an LQ4 swap in December, and I'm gonna start turbocharging it around mid to late January so I want all my drivetrain components to be completely beefed up. I've spent a little over two years saving up for this build so I'm reinforcing what I can just for peace of mind, besides 2392 SHIPPED for a new S60 built to your specs is pretty hard to beat
Shame you should of gave us a call, then once you placed an order with us you could of got further discounts on our S60 torque arm and our ARB that bolts up to the S60 as well which only we make.

That and with out parts you get out help for years to come if you need it, not only in support if by chance something goes wrong but if you you tech advice from people out there racing these products on a weekly basis when we can.

Good luck with your purchase the S60 is the rear end we recommend them to those on a budget, not much of a budget if you figure in the fact you still have to spend $450 or better on a good after market torque arm. That right there puts you inline with one of our fabricated housings.

The initial cost of the S60 is appealing though I do agree and if you already have a torque arm it makes perfect sense.

Here is a car supporting all the typical stuff our customers buy. Stock LS1 with a cam, turbo 400 with a trans brake, and 100 shot full weight vehicle. Breaking into the 10's. Car went 10.20 at the end of last season with a different motor that was nothing more than a cam and Patriot heads. He put it back to stock this year because he wanted a car that responded like the car did stock and this is the results.

Owned by the guy that welds up all our suspension pieces and housings putting his hard work to good use. This car utilizes our billet clutch posi, set up to be street driven on a daily basis. Good chance the 6 speed will go back into this car next year.

Another local that we have used for a test mule from time to time. Again all our bolt in items, around 3000 pounds, Roughly 400 to 450 hp on motor and a 200 shot this weekend. Went 9.63 @ 144 with a 1.38 60' banging gears all the way down the track.

I can't say what dif unit is in this car right now but lets say it isn't a spool and not yet available but soon we hope.

I can possibly get Greg to come in here and talk about his set up a little more and his experience with us (black car). Both these rides have our fabricated nine inches and our suspension pieces. Also a special thanks to Magic photos for taking the pics, they are Cordova Dragways track photographers.

Last edited by MidwestChassis; 11-11-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
Shame you should of gave us a call, then once you placed an order with us you could of got further discounts on our S60 torque arm and our ARB that bolts up to the S60 as well which only we make.

That and with out parts you get out help for years to come if you need it, not only in support if by chance something goes wrong but if you you tech advice from people out there racing these products on a weekly basis when we can.

Good luck with your purchase the S60 is the rear end we recommend them to those on a budget, not much of a budget if you figure in the fact you still have to spend $450 or better on a good after market torque arm. That right there puts you inline with one of our fabricated housings.

The initial cost of the S60 is appealing though I do agree and if you already have a torque arm it makes perfect sense.

Here is a car supporting all the typical stuff our customers buy. Stock LS1 with a cam, turbo 400 with a trans brake, and 100 shot full weight vehicle. Breaking into the 10's. Car went 10.20 at the end of last season with a different motor that was nothing more than a cam and Patriot heads. He put it back to stock this year because he wanted a car that responded like the car did stock and this is the results.

Owned by the guy that welds up all our suspension pieces and housings putting his hard work to good use. This car utilizes our billet clutch posi, set up to be street driven on a daily basis. Good chance the 6 speed will go back into this car next year.

Another local that we have used for a test mule from time to time. Again all our bolt in items, around 3000 pounds, Roughly 400 to 450 hp on motor and a 200 shot this weekend. Went 9.63 @ 144 with a 1.38 60' banging gears all the way down the track.

I can't say what dif unit is in this car right now but lets say it isn't a spool and not yet available but soon we hope.

I can possibly get Greg to come in here and talk about his set up a little more and his experience with us (black car). Both these rides have our fabricated nine inches and our suspension pieces. Also a special thanks to Magic photos for taking the pics, they are Cordova Dragways track photographers.
I would be very interested in that posi unit you have there. I just dont get along with my spool. Running Street tires and driving around town just isnt any fun any more. Ok it is fun just not as much if I had a actual dif unit of some kind and not a spool. Track it is great but on the street not so much.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Sure give the shop a call and we can discuss some options for you.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:02 PM
9 Second Club

The black TA is mine and I wouldn't go with any other rear end package. I have had the rear end for 3 race seasons now and it has taken everything I have thrown at it as well as cars that are way faster than mine. I have watched them build built by hand in the jigs from laser cut pieces and the craftsmanship and attention to detail is second to none. I can't wait to put the front end package on the car this winter and lighten the car up even more.

I have gone a best of 1.32 60' and 9.63@145 and car is consistantly in the 1.32-1.40 60' range.

A little bit about the car....

The Short Block is a 383 - Callies crank & rods Diamond pistons built by M&M
Heads are 243 Patriot Stage 2's with a little hand smoothing and upgraded springs
Stock rockers with trunnion upgrade, Cadillac racing lifters, and comp pushrods
Camshaft specs are close to a TREX v1
Vic Jr Intake, Accufab 4150 TB, 42# injectors, Walbro 300 in tank -8 feed/return
Kooks 2" 3.5" merge collector headers custom true dual x-pipe exhaust race bullets
Stock Water Pump, radiator, coils, alternator, PCM w/HP Tuners
200HP N2O - Zex Perimiter Plate, NX Lightning Noids, -6 Feed, FJO Progressive
Stock T56 with Steel shift fork and bronze pads
Spec 3+ clutch and Tick Performance Hydraulics
MWC Fab 9" 35 Spline Gun Drilled Axels 3.89 Gear in a posi
MWC LCA's Panhard, Torque Arm, Anti-Roll
Manual steering, Strange Manual Brakes all 4 corners
QA1 Shocks, Stock Springs

3360 Raceweight
Old 11-14-2010, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

I love my Midwest stuff and would buy it all again without question. With that said I would like to know a little more on the black car pictured above. What hole is the toqrue arm mounted in and what pinion angle are you guys running?
Old 11-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Banned

S60's are heavy, I'm building a forged 6.0 turbo motor this season and have no worrys about how my MWC rear will hold up, it is the best rear for the best price out there. Where else are you going to find a custom Fab 9" that comes with Erics options and weighs in close to what a stock 10 bolt does for a better price...no where. You won't be sorry about that purchase.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont think ive ever seen a thread from a MWC breaking. I know ive seen plently of them in the single digits
Old 11-19-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

I saw a fab 9 at the on base hobby shop the other day at andrews airforce base. was a red SS (bilstein shocks old bmr tq arm (being replaced with MWF) magnaflow exhaust with cutout and a ton of other crap including a huge *** driveshaft)

anyone know whos car that is
Old 11-20-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jester1614
I saw a fab 9 at the on base hobby shop the other day at andrews airforce base. was a red SS (bilstein shocks old bmr tq arm (being replaced with MWF) magnaflow exhaust with cutout and a ton of other crap including a huge *** driveshaft)

anyone know whos car that is
Hahaa...that was me! I just brought my baby home last night. Had to do the break-in during work hours yesterday.

Although they are actually Koni shocks. What are you running, shoot me a PM?

I'm going to do a full review of the rear-end here shortly, I'm still going through the 500mile break-in and I don't have pinion angle exactly where I Want it. I'll prob be back in the auto hobby shop on tuesday to try and fix that. I need to drop the front part of the torque arm down a hole to get it right, but I'm having a hard time getting it there.

I've got it to between -1 and -1.5. No real vibration thus far and a very acceptable amount of gear noise...about what I had on the 4:11s in the stock rear.

Quick Reply: Your Experience with Midwest Chassis Fab 9"