Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4th Gen F Body Owners with aftermarket rear ends please enlighten me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
To help people understand so there is no confusion.

The factory brakes bolt up to all the F-body specific housing packages from Strange along with our rear end package. I figure I should put that out there since that is a common question we get.

i didn't have that luck with the currie but my specific application happened to be on a g-body which requires a different flange that wasn't available for some reason. cheapest route was to get ford crap brakes with it. this is my first f-body buildup. the center hole on the backing plate had to be open a little but otherwise the factory brakes bolted right onto the strange.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

I suggest a Moser 9" with wavetrac and 3.73 gears. I have the same goals as you and that's what I am doing.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1redta
send a MWC 9" to my house and I will test your hypothesis
I think people would fight you for that chance...
Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

I have a 12 bolt in my 99 T/A supercharged with 33 spline axles, with a 6spd. It has a detroit locker in it. I dont like how it performs when making turns. Feels like the drive shaft is gonna come out of it. When I'm on the gas hard it works flawlessly tho. I'd definitely get a wavetrac if you can afford it no matter what rear you get. Or perhaps an e-locker or arb of you want to control it. Remember that unsprung is a killer when it comes to handling so the heavier the rear the more its gonna throw the car.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

I have a Spooled Strange 12 Bolt in my car. Its a great rearend, its very tough. I drive my car a lot on the street. The spool is great I love it.BUT... I hate that the rearend started whining after the first track visit. I wish I would have got a 9''...maybe oneday..
Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
I have a moser 9". I love it and when you pull that 10 bolt out and set it next to a 9" or S60 or something you will realize what a tiny crappy rearend our cars came with from the factory. Also one thing I noticed and hate about the 10 bolt is the C clips. I always knew what they were and have heard, and seen, horror stories about them coming out but when I actually saw one for the first time, I was like "never again". I didnt order mine from MWC but I have heard nothing but good things about them and if I had the money to buy one of their custom fab rearends, I would in a heartbeat.
I dont know why you make such a big deal about C-clips. Its almost impossible for them to come out, almost all trucks & 4x4s use C-clips on their axles. Even the mighty Dana 60 (S60) uses C-clips.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I dont know why you make such a big deal about C-clips. Its almost impossible for them to come out, almost all trucks & 4x4s use C-clips on their axles. Even the mighty Dana 60 (S60) uses C-clips.
guess your 10bolt never lost a c-clip it sucks.. and no the s60 does not! from what i can tell the dana 60 did
Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
guess your 10bolt never lost a c-clip it sucks.. and no the s60 does not! from what i can tell the dana 60 did
You dont just lose a C-clip, some other damage or wear occurred in the diff area for it to be able to come out. You do realize that you cant remove a C-clip without removing the cross shaft in the diff? The cross shaft prevents the axles from sliding inward & keeps the C-clips seated.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

when i had mine i had blown up two 10 bolt rear ends..twisted an axle so i tried to rebuilt it with the axle housings welded, moser forged axles, w/ arp studs, and a auburn pro series diff and had to go back to stock gears as the motive 3:73s and the richmond 3:73s both grenaded. that rear end lasted until i could get my moser 12 bolt w/ 3:73s..however i beleive that even tho the 10 bolt was as built as it could get, that it still would have puked out on me. ** sidenote-- auburn pro series diffs are straight garbage for the ten bolt**
Personally I would call some of the sponsors on here and tell them what you have in mind for your car and see what they recommend vs the prices of each different rear end assembly along with which suspension is going to work best for you. also check out the FS threads and look for group purchases sometimes you can get in on one of those and score one hell of a deal.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
You dont just lose a C-clip, some other damage or wear occurred in the diff area for it to be able to come out. You do realize that you cant remove a C-clip without removing the cross shaft in the diff? The cross shaft prevents the axles from sliding inward & keeps the C-clips seated.

clearly you never had this happen to you! it does happen I was driving up a hill and when I got to the top I heard a growl noise so I went to hit the brakes and nothing right to the floor! so I did what most people would do and looked in all my mirrors and after pulling to the right I saw in my left mirror my left rear wheel I got out and looked there was my wheel out past the wheel well wheel cyl. exploded.

after it got towed to the shop and looking at the parts there was no reason for it to have done this. pin was in, diff was still good and axle looked fine

and FYI jeeps and many off road 4x4 dont use c-clips its a cheap idea with cheap results

several old times said this would happen from time to time in cars and told me similar stories... this is also why many race tracks dont allow c-clip axles they do come out and even seen it on disk rears where it snaps the brakes clean off

but I guess clearly you know more than anyone else have fun in flight
Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
clearly you never had this happen to you! it does happen I was driving up a hill and when I got to the top I heard a growl noise so I went to hit the brakes and nothing right to the floor! so I did what most people would do and looked in all my mirrors and after pulling to the right I saw in my left mirror my left rear wheel I got out and looked there was my wheel out past the wheel well wheel cyl. exploded.

after it got towed to the shop and looking at the parts there was no reason for it to have done this. pin was in, diff was still good and axle looked fine

and FYI jeeps and many off road 4x4 dont use c-clips its a cheap idea with cheap results
I said most, yes Jeeps are bolt in. If its such a bad idea why does GM still use them in every 1500 rear axle truck? Shouldnt there be a national safety recall if its so dangerous?
several old times said this would happen from time to time in cars and told me similar stories... this is also why many race tracks dont allow c-clip axles they do come out and even seen it on disk rears where it snaps the brakes clean off

but I guess clearly you know more than anyone else have fun in flight
What race tracks dont allow c-clip axles? If youre talking drag strip I have never heard of it. I know a few circle track guys that run them too.
Its never happened to me & its pretty rare for one to come out.

Last edited by flintwrench69; 12-05-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

I've got an S60 for my WS.6 so I'm somewhat bias. Either way I would definitely call up Midwest Chassis. I got my S60 from them a couple months ago and it is a top notch shop for sure.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

I've never seen a dana 60 with c-clips. Unless some of the newer ones have them. I've seen 14 bolt gm's with c-clips but not a dana 60. I know if you snap an axle that has c-clips it will come out. Theres nothing to hold the axle in.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brigger18
I've never seen a dana 60 with c-clips. Unless some of the newer ones have them. I've seen 14 bolt gm's with c-clips but not a dana 60. I know if you snap an axle that has c-clips it will come out. Theres nothing to hold the axle in.
Exactly... and I've seen it happen at the drag strip... luckily it was at about the 60' mark and not 1000'. Entire tire/wheel/axle shaft left the vehicle. Not pretty.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wouldnt recomend moser there customer service sucks.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I would suggest looking at our Watts link option, we are the only rear end out there that offers a fabricated Watts link built onto the housing. Our housing also comes with factory style sway bar mounts, no muffler clamps needed to hold on your factory or upgraded factory style bolt on sway bar.

The true fabricated rearend housing features components such as a drain plug, 4 hole relocator style lca brackets, stock style anti-sway bar mounts, brake line clips, hose mounts and e-brake cable brackets(98-02) all as standard equipment at no extra charge.
I have nothing but good things about your rear ends but Those points right there just pulled me that direction.

Do you have any pics of the Watt's rearend? How does this compare to the Fays2 Watt's setup Strano sells?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Also does your rear ends have any interference with the gas tanks or does the T/A hit the floorboard?

I thought some of these questions not only help me but the OP too.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Teching In

What race tracks dont allow c-clip axles? If youre talking drag strip I have never heard of it. I know a few circle track guys that run them too.
Its never happened to me & its pretty rare for one to come out.[/QUOTE]

no ihra/nhra dragstrip allows c-clips for anything 10.99 or quicker. they require bolt-in axles. and road course or circle track guys only run them if either the class requires it (which is rare) or they can't afford to upgrade. the sideloads put a pounding on the center pin and carrier bearings. no so with bolt-ins.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I have nothing but good things about your rear ends but Those points right there just pulled me that direction.

Do you have any pics of the Watt's rearend? How does this compare to the Fays2 Watt's setup Strano sells?
I will search the work computer tomorrow to see if I have some saved on there.

As far as comparing our to someone elses clearly the choice will be ours but they are all top notch equipment. The brackets for ours are built into the housing making a very nice piece that bolts on with ease.

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Also does your rear ends have any interference with the gas tanks or does the T/A hit the floorboard?

I thought some of these questions not only help me but the OP too.
An we have no fitment issues with our components and we also offer different style cross members for the short arm based on what style of exhaust you have.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Launching!

An we have no fitment issues with our components and we also offer different style cross members for the short arm based on what style of exhaust you have.
just installed mine this weekend. everthing fit absolutely perfect. i couldnt imagine anything lining up any better

Quick Reply: 4th Gen F Body Owners with aftermarket rear ends please enlighten me!