Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 with bolt-on T/A mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
I made this myself, I'd have to look into possibly making them to sell but I really want to test it out more and make sure it's a solid piece. I'm sure there is room for improvement in the design and I wouldn't want to sell something that's garbage or prone to breaking easily.
How much did it cost you to make it ? Im in the process of building my own 8.8 and trying to figure out all my options!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eddielb
How much did it cost you to make it ? Im in the process of building my own 8.8 and trying to figure out all my options!
For me it was very cheap. I actually just bummed scrap stock off my boss and a friend and the bolts were a few bucks at the local hardware store. I have access to a bridgeport so the rest was just measuring and cutting. If I were to make them I would need to find another housing and see if I can't simplify the design so most of it could be cnc cut and then just bolted together. This weekend I'm planning on see what I have to clear if any to fit the new UMI drag bar I just bought so its just the little things I'd like to perfect beforehand.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For me it was very cheap. I actually just bummed scrap stock off my boss and a friend and the bolts were a few bucks at the local hardware store. I have access to a bridgeport so the rest was just measuring and cutting. If I were to make them I would need to find another housing and see if I can't simplify the design so most of it could be cnc cut and then just bolted together. This weekend I'm planning on see what I have to clear if any to fit the new UMI drag bar I just bought so its just the little things I'd like to perfect beforehand.
looks very nice keep us up to date ! I just got the sleeves made @ a machine shop going to try and figure out the welding and then start work on the TA, but if you get a decent thing made soon im VERY interested
Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have an 8.8 with a min ladder bar set up id love to try this if you make more
Old 12-03-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

you guys are making it hard for me to not look into making more
Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you guys are making it hard for me to not look into making more
haha then go at it ! I got money in hand I want to have my car running by the end of the month/beginning of next month !
Old 12-03-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol make another ill put it on asap i really wanna try this 8.8 with a tq arm mount instead of my ladder bar set up heres a few pics of my set up a bolt on tq arm mount would be perfect for me

Old 12-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good looking mount! I love the ingenuity. However if I may just say that you could weld a piece of bar stock to the axle tube and then with a cut in the axle tube mount it would not move. But I know you said you don't want to weld on the housing... but a viable solution to some peoples skepticism.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought another 8.8 housing to finalize my design and hopefully start selling these. no promises but I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought another 8.8 housing to finalize my design and hopefully start selling these. no promises but I'll keep you guys updated.
wooot ! really looking forward to seeing your finished product ! Im in !
Old 12-12-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

sign me up
Old 12-12-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its be a while finally glad to see you were able to join the rest of us with 8.8s. lol i like your ingenuity with the bolt on idea.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Sign me up for one! Which 8.8 did you use? I've got one from a 95 stang and I have access to one from a 98 crown vic interceptor.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

the housing in my car is from a 96 mustang and the one I'm picking up will also be a mustang housing.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the housing in my car is from a 96 mustang and the one I'm picking up will also be a mustang housing.
Im about to get the tubes welded up right now - any ETA on building a bolt on TA mount? im very excited for the option of this!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't promise anything especially with work being busy, family, and the holiday right now I just don't have a lot of time. When its done you'll all be the first to know.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't promise anything especially with work being busy, family, and the holiday right now I just don't have a lot of time. When its done you'll all be the first to know.
What about your LSx family ! Thought online family came first ! hahaha

Thanks for all your work bud keep up the great work ! Do you have updated pics of it ? Thought I had seen some prototype design ealrier?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
I wonder why no one copies the mustang torque arm conversion. Like copy the torque arm and make a TA mount up front for it.
The instructions for this kit says it uses two 3/8" bolts to hold it to the rear pumpkin, thats all thats keeping the rear from rotating, the ends of it are just clamped on.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/co...TASS-2H_LG.jpg
Done.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...8-project.html
Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

This is the mount I made, its a complete bolt-on unit as I didn't want to do any welding on the cast iron housing. Only made 3 passes with it so far but it held up to a 1.55 60' in a 3700lb car. I ran into a few issues with it, the bracket is outboard more toward the driver side because I used the 31 spline truck flange which is much larger OD than than car one. In order to make this work I had to use the second set of torque arm bracket holes and ended up grinding off one of the other holes to clear the housing. I think this winter I'm going to switch to a regular style yoke and get rid of the flange all together because the clearance between it and the t/a mount it very close now. The only other issue I ran into was getting the rear sway bar to fit, its on there fine but its very close and could hit it if vibrates any. The easy solution here is to just make some spacers fr it and move it down 1/2" or so but I won't worry about that because I'm going to buy a drag bar this winter and figure it out then. Let me know what you think.

Lookin good, Jeff. Still think you need the extra support on the passenger side, because I think the driver side flange is going to crack or bend over time. Nice to hear it's holding up during testing, though.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gimme
Lookin good, Jeff. Still think you need the extra support on the passenger side, because I think the driver side flange is going to crack or bend over time. Nice to hear it's holding up during testing, though.
Thats something I'm working on to go with the bracket there is already a hole on both sides I just have to make a bracket thats attached and bolt it up.

Quick Reply: 8.8 with bolt-on T/A mount